What's new

BAE-HAL Sort Out Problems, India To Buy 57 More Hawk AJTs

It will take another 15 years to decide on whether to procure from an outside vendor or, keep giving one after another chance ...

Originally Posted by jha
"HAWK is an Advanced jet trainer ...Pilots need to go through 3 stages i think--
BASIC
IJT
AJT... "

@ jha
You've got it right.
The Hawk is only one segment (the last) in the training system. HJT-36 will replace the Kiran in the IJT segment. As of now, the BASIC segment is in a state of flux with the Deepak being in the state it is. MOD is trying to plug that gap with the "Tucano" or similar A/C. It's a matter of some concern that the area of Trainer A/C has not received the attention that it should have. For instance the Mig-21 UTI was used earlier in the AJT segment, a poor choice considering that it is not a 'forgiving' aircraft to fly for a rookie pilot.
Your other point that the IAF spent $$$$ to buy sophisticated A/C without investing in trainers is valid. Possibly the reason is that in times not so long ago, financial resources were far less so some compromises were made in terms of acquisitions. Another fact is, for political reasons, India did not have unlimited choice of military aircraft in the market-place. Now times have changed.
But that does not change a basic fact, little thought and money was invested in to Trainer A/C requirements.

My point is HAL has done a nice job in making a good plane like LCA..We should let them concentrate on developing fighter aircrafts only...
Why keep engaging them in every little thing when already such relatively less sensitive planes are available in market in plenty...

Cameron to seek 1 billion pound Hawk deal with India

LONDON: UK will seek to sell 57 more Hawk Jet trainers to India in a deal worth a million pounds during David Cameron's first ever visit to New Delhi after taking over as Prime Minister next week.

The 57 trainers will be in addition to the 66 fighters already contracted for by the British aerospace company BAE.

Cameron is leading a clutch of cabinet ministers, who are among a 90-strong delegation, on a trade mission to India.

According to the Financial Times, defence exports will be one of the most concrete and contentious manifestations of the "special partnership" Cameron wants to forge with a rising power, which he feels Britain has neglected for too long.

According to The Times, Cameron will lead the big delegation to showcase his "commercially based foreign policy with a 1 billion pounds defence deal".

The prime minister is to travel with seven cabinet ministers, including the foreign secretary, chancellor and business secretary, in an effort to revitalise ties with New Delhi and to generate business in the insurance, financial services and technology sectors.

Cameron's team will also seek to press British interests in India's USD 11 billion (7.1 bn pounds) 126-aircraft fighter procurement contest.

Six manufacturers are in the running for the lucrative deal with EADS, the consortium that includes BAE Systems, offering the Eurofighter Typhoon jet.

The most immediate big deals, the paper said, may come in defence.

BAE hopes to sign a deal worth up to 500 million pounds to supply 57 more Hawk trainer jets, building on an established partnership with state-run Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd, Bengaluru.

India ordered 66 Hawk jets from BAE in 2004 at 1 billion pounds cost.

All the aircraft in the follow-up deal, if achieved, are likely to be built by HAL.

The model for technology transfer and joint manufacturing could also be extended to UK aircraft carriers and shipbuilding.

Other potential defence equipment offers on the British stall include the Type-26 frigate, the "future surface combatant", which BAE Systems would seek to sell in "modular form" once its design is complete.

The UK company has been seeking shipbuilding opportunities as India's navy has sought to expand its fleet from its own dockyards rather than buying warships from other navies, the report said.

The BAE already has an armoured vehicle and artillery joint venture with truck maker Mahindra & Mahindra.

It is depressing to see that we plan to buy 100s of $100 mil. aircrafts..but we dont buy the trainers to train the pilot who will fly them...Why the hell we prefer the claims made by HAL ( mostly false ) over the safety of our IAF pilots...
This Anthony dude ( may have clean image ) is not helping in procuring the necessary items..
Ya dude. I've seen people ruin things with their corruption, this is the first time I've seen someone wreck things with his integrity.

Ofcource i think that it is a tendency among indian MOD to sign a defence deal whenever a big world leader pays a visit
The french even said that the president should have something to sign when he visits
Hence we have Mig29k deal when Putin visited
Hawk jet trainer deal when Cameron pays a visit next week ,
similarly when Sarkozy comes in october , he will sign the 2 billion $ mirage upg deal.
And when finally Obama Visits in november , he will sign 2 big deals ie 5.8 billion $ deal for C17 Globemaster and 650 MILLION $ deal for 145 M777 Howitzers

the deal regading purchaseof 145 M777 Howitzers is confirmed?does we goin fr it?

the deal regading purchaseof 145 M777 Howitzers is confirmed?does we goin fr it?

From reports, it does seem to me that the deal will go through (though I admit, I am not actively following each and every development in the deal). I don't mean to be rude, but this is not the appropriate thread for M777 Howitzers. Please don't change the topic.

yup , confirmed .

It was cleared by DAC in india , under PM Singh .
DSCA in USA has informed US Congress about possible sale .

Deal will be signed anytime , possibly November when Obama comes for opening Obama platter :lol: :lol:.

Hawk contract, cultural deal on anvil during UK prime minister's India trip

London: A £500 million deal for BAE systems, Britain's biggest defence contractor, to supply Hawk jet trainers is expected to be among a string of high-profile contracts to be signed during prime minister David Cameron's two-day visit to India commencing on Wednesday.

There is also likely to be a major cultural agreement involving museums, 'The Observer' reported today.

Cameron is taking with him seven Cabinet ministers and a huge trade delegation, including representatives from BAE as well as from Rolls-Royce, Standard Chartered Bank, construction group Balfour Beatty and the British Museum.

BAE has set up joint ventures with the state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics in Bangalore. The Indian group makes BAE's Hawk trainer aircraft under licence.

Dick Olver, BAE's chairman, said British business needed to think about India becoming as important a trading partner as America. "We need to build a second special relationship."

According to the Sunday Telegraph, BAE Systems will announce a 500 million-pound deal to build 57 Hawk trainer jets in collaboration with their Indian partners HAL near Bangalore, as a centrepiece of Cameron's visit.

Cameron, who will first fly to Bangalore, the hub of "infotech" and innovation, will visit along with business secretary Vince Cable and climate change minister Greg Barker the headquarters of Infosys, the cutting edge IT firm based in the city.

Cameron is expected to make a keynote speech there calling for an "aspirational partnership" between Britain and India.

George Osborne, the Chancellor of Exchequer, will visit Mumbai, the financial capital of India, while David Willetts, the Universities and Science Minister, will travel to Chennai to promote university tie-ups.

Meanwhile, Jeremy Hunt, the culture and sport secretary, will go to Delhi, which is hosting the Commonwealth Games in October.

In Mumbai, Osborne will ring the bell to open the day's trading to the headquarters of top computer software companies.

On Thursday, Cameron will be accorded a ceremonial reception in the forecourt of the Rashtrapati Bhavan in Delhi. Besides holding talks with his Indian counterpart Manmohan Singh, Cameron is scheduled to meet Congress leader Rahul Gandhi.

Discussions about the growing threat of LeT, the Pakistan-based terrorist group behind the Mumbai attacks in 2008, will be on the agenda of meetings between British foreign secretary William Hague and India's security chiefs.

:sniper:

From reports, it does seem to me that the deal will go through (though I admit, I am not actively following each and every development in the deal). I don't mean to be rude, but this is not the appropriate thread for M777 Howitzers. Please don't change the topic.

------ Sorry to say---- bt i had asked bout frm the replier as he mentioned somthin bout--- n didnt ment to chnge the topic jst asked a q as PDF is ment to b---- perhaps u didnt still gathered infact every single topic goes off track generally ---- n dats too intentionally---- but i dnt find ne reason y u went inside ---- c to ur nxt post i ve got ma reply simply----n no intentions to pull it newaz...... bt still Thankyou.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom