What's new

Azerbaijan Defence Programs & Military Development

bro, Azerbaijan really interested in ALtay and ATAk,
but we cant purchase leo 2, because Germany banned any sale of arms to Azerbaijan... That was the reason, Azerbaijan still couldnt purchase Firtina..
We wanted UAV, but unles turkey make one and offer us, ISrael kicked in and offered UAV assebly line in Azerbaijan. but, especially smaller UAV. But for bigger ones, most probably, Azerbaijan might get some..
Azerbaijan will not purchase "firkateyn", as its big, and Russia doesnt let those ships to be transported.. but fast attack boats with atmaca, would be perfect.. as Turkmenistan purchased it recently..
About missiles, im even heard that SOM was tested in Azerbaijan last year. they are really interested about missile programs.. 107 and 122 mm missiles have assembly line in Azerbaijan already..

Azerbaijan already purchased 36 Firtinas , if the sources are right the deliveries have started some time ago
in 2012 , Azerbaijan purchased 16 Heron-1s and license for $300 mil.
SOM hasn't been tested in Azerbaijan , Azerbaijan was interested in integration of SOM in MIG-29 as the whole fleet is getting upgraded , the air force is looking for new weapons for integration to go along with it.

Air Force MIG-29 , Mi-24G , Mi-17-V1 , L-39
11828827_560214907452483_7469542860148549442_n.png
11864752_560117340795573_7125872221448060464_o.png
11870658_559032984237342_5585318111510814204_n.jpg

Azerbaijan already purchased 36 Firtinas , if the sources are right the deliveries have started some time ago
in 2012 , Azerbaijan purchased 16 Heron-1s and license for $300 mil.
SOM hasn't been tested in Azerbaijan , Azerbaijan was interested in integration of SOM in MIG-29 as the whole fleet is getting upgraded , the air force is looking for new weapons for integration to go along with it.
bro, i wish that they have bought it.. but as i asked from trusted sources, they couldnt purchase it.. there were rumors that another engine were used, but not solid information..

@Kamil_baku - What is the Situation of the Projects ? Propaganda or true ?

Strange question. This video is created by some random guy from Turkey. You don't realize that?

There was a contract for 36 T-155, but there has been no deliveries. It's not clear whether the contract is still in force or not.

Azerbaijan will not purchase "firkateyn", as its big, and Russia doesnt let those ships to be transported...

As usual, you don't know what you are talking about.

There is the Baku Shipyard, which can produce frigate sized ships and more. Turkey doesn't need to transport anything, the design can be built in Azerbaijan.

And there are already such plans for the Navy, but it's not clear which type of ships/designs has been chosen from what company/country. From the recent statements, it sounds like only few details remain to be sorted out.

Strange question. This video is created by some random guy from Turkey. You don't realize that?

There was a contract for 36 T-155, but there has been no deliveries. It's not clear whether the contract is still in force or not.

As usual, you don't know what you are talking about.

There is the Baku Shipyard, which can produce frigate sized ships and more. Turkey doesn't need to transport anything, the design can be built in Azerbaijan.

And there are already such plans for the Navy, but it's not clear which type of ships/designs has been chosen from what company/country. From the recent statements, it sounds like only few details remain to be sorted out.
Dude, before being cocky, try to check it in details.. Those Turkish firkateyns use German engine, which basically cant be sold to Azerbaijan..
Also, USA will not let Azerbaijan to use its harpoon or other missiles.. Turkey can only export after its mass atmaca missiles..

bro, i wish that they have bought it.. but as i asked from trusted sources, they couldnt purchase it.. there were rumors that another engine were used, but not solid information..

Firtina deal went through about 4 years ago , Ukrainian engine was tested about 1 - 2 years ago but the MoD wasn't happy with the results , so a new supplier was found , according to sources the deliveries have started some time ago.

Dude, before being cocky, try to check it in details.. Those Turkish firkateyns use German engine, which basically cant be sold to Azerbaijan..
Also, USA will not let Azerbaijan to use its harpoon or other missiles.. Turkey can only export after its mass atmaca missiles..

US or European countries have no problem selling equipment for the Navy , in fact French company ( DCNS ) and Dutch ( Damen ) are some of the potential suppliers of ships for Azerbaijan

ADEX_photos_site.png

Where was I being "cocky"?

Israeli boats which are currently being built for the Coast Guard are using German engines (MTU). Apparently you need to follow your own advice. There are no restrictions from European suppliers regarding the naval components, as the ADEX 2014 did show.

It doesn't need to be Harpoon or any other American missile. If you didn't knew, weapon systems can be replaced on ships according to the customer's likings.

Azerbaijani Navy will acquire new ships, and I'm not talking about fast attack boats that you were suggesting. There are several options besides Milgem.

@Azeri440

There has been no deliveries. I know that it was supposed to happen, but it did not cement. Like said, it's not clear if the contract is still in force or not.

Last edited:
Where was I being "cocky"?

Israeli boats which are currently built for the Coast Guard (at Coast Guard's shipyard) are using German engines (MTU). Apparently you need to follow your own advice.

It doesn't need to be Harpoon or any other American missile. If you didn't knew, weapon systems can be replaced on ships according to the customer's likings.

Azerbaijani Navy will acquire new ships, and I'm not talking about fast attack boats that you were suggesting. There are several options besides Milgem.

@Azeri440

There has been no deliveries. I know that it was supposed to happen, but it did not cement. Like said, it's not clear if the contract is still in force or not.

And MBDA offers Exocet and Aster/Mica. So no problems with armament either if Azerbaijan were to go with an European design.

It is quite interesting. No export restrictions to Israel's obsolete designs While dealing with Azerbaijan to cut off the likely cooperation fields of Turkey and Azerbaijan on any field ? It became a must to develop national powerpacks to spit in German's faces while dealing with countries disturbing them. OC olmak zor zanaat tabi...

Firtina deal went through about 4 years ago , Ukrainian engine was tested about 1 - 2 years ago but the MoD wasn't happy with the results , so a new supplier was found , according to sources the deliveries have started some time ago.

US or European countries have no problem selling equipment for the Navy , in fact French company ( DCNS ) and Dutch ( Damen ) are some of the potential suppliers of ships for Azerbaijan

View attachment 247308

It is not about companies, but German or French politicians baning a likely cooperation of their institutes with countries they politically objects to so DCNS or any others companies willing to make a deal with Azerbaijan doesn't make much differences. Companies care about money. It is politicians ruling the direction of exports in accordance with their regulations.

It is quite interesting. No export restrictions to Israel's obsolete designs While dealing with Azerbaijan to cut off the likely cooperation fields of Turkey and Azerbaijan on any field ? It became a must to develop national powerpacks to spit in German's faces while dealing with countries disturbing them. OC olmak zor zanaat tabi...

I agree with your last sentiment, but I don't think there are restriction regarding naval systems, like said. So if Milgem were to be built in Azerbaijan, there would be no problems regarding the engine.

Land component are something else, because of the conflict with Armenia. Since the situation is very tense and can erupt at any time. That is their reasoning.

You could see at ADEX 2014 the only European companies were naval ones (Damen, DCNS), and there was nothing else (with exception of MBDA).

A frigate sized ship will be too big for an enclosed sea like the the Caspian sea.

A frigate sized ship will be too big for an enclosed sea like the the Caspian sea.

Russia has two Gepard class frigates in Caspian Sea, Iran has fielded one Damavand frigate. So no such thing.

Patrol Boats (100 & 500 ton) are already being built for the Coast Guard, so naturally the Navy will look for more capable ships.

Last edited:
Russia has two Gepard class frigates in Caspian Sea, Iran has fielded one Damavand frigate. So no such thing.

Patrol Boats (100 & 500 ton) are already being built for the Coast Guard, so naturally the Navy will look for more capable ships.

What's the depth like of the Caspian, could Azerbaijan field some mini-subs?

The southern part of the Caspian Sea has more depth than the northern part, I think it would be possible.

Gepard and Damavand (1,500 ton) are technically corvette sized ships. I still don't think you need big ships in an enclosed sea, you just need well armed light boats to patrol your EEZ. Big ships with endurance are good for open seas you can't travel far in the Caspian.

Maybe Milgem is OK (favoritism :D) but even that is still big its 2,400 ton displacement we call it a corvette but that's a light frigate.

What yo need is something like the Visby that would be ideal, 640 ton light stealth corvette or maybe something like one of the proposals for the new Turkish FAC tender.

L'Adroit Gowind is also good I just love that design especially that unique rear RHIBs launching part.

The posted video was for information what is possible between Türkiye and Azerbeycan only ! I believe that AKP made relations between brother countries become bad. Of course corvettes can't be beamed to Baku. But we can deliver construction modules like HDW does for Turkish subs. I know what to write.

Back
Top Bottom