What's new

AWACS and rest query

surya kiran

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
I have a query regarding the AWACS. Was reading about coverage of 360 degrees and 240 degreess so on and so forth.

1. In an aggressor or defensive situation, the fight is happening up front. So how much difference does this make? Logically, I can see only one thing. When an AWACS is retreating or moving back the 360 gives it total coverage. Is there any other advantage?

2. Can we have a sticky thread for AWACS related information?

I have a query regarding the AWACS. Was reading about coverage of 360 degrees and 240 degreess so on and so forth.

1. In an aggressor or defensive situation, the fight is happening up front. So how much difference does this make? Logically, I can see only one thing. When an AWACS is retreating or moving back the 360 gives it total coverage. Is there any other advantage?

What makes you think that? Attackers can come from any side. Suppose an AEWAC is flying combat patrol over the skies, and flying from east to west. Attacking aircrafts can come in a north-south direction, or any other direction. If the AEWAC can only see what's in front of it, and not what is on its sides, then the attackers will shoot it down or fly undetected.

Plus AWACS planes fly in circles outside the actual battlezone but peering into that zone. They need 360 coverage as they can be perpetually turning. In the 1992 Iraq war the AWACS were flying circles in Saudi Arabia peering into Iraq and Kuwait.

You can see why this would be a great UAV drone job.

Last edited:

The flight path can make up for the radar coverage limitations

Back
Top Bottom