What's new

Avalanche traps about 150 Pakistani soldiers

A dignitary visiting a rescue operation site is the most stupid and selfish deed on that person's part, because his visit will just result in diverting resources from actual activity to ensuring that his visit goes all right.. Never thought of Immi bhai to be so politically motivated earlier :(

Had IK turned up in the first 48 hours i would perhaps have agreed with you karan. Almost 8 days later and an air of sadness around i dont think its a politically motivated act. It would be out of character.
Perhaps he wants to pay his respects and to genuinely uplift moral because i sense it must be a heavy down trodden atmosphere.

I AM SORRY TO POST THIS PHOTO BUT I HAD TO...ISN'T THIS S SATE OF EMERGENCY ? DOENST LOOK LIKE ONE.

Safraz bhai - We dont know what exactly is going on. Also remember its not just snow but its huge boulders and ice chunks weighing tonnes. I think very little can be done by hand and heavy duty machinery is needed to achieve anything. I know you have the best of intentions and like the rest of us are desperate for any sort of news but patience brother - its an extremely difficult situation...

Safraz bhai - We dont know what exactly is going on. Also remember its not just snow but its huge boulders and ice chunks weighing tonnes. I think very little can be done by hand and heavy duty machinery is needed to achieve anything. I know you have the best of intentions and like the rest of us are desperate for any sort of news but patience brother - its an extremely difficult situation...

Human brain does not work as it should when you are at that altitude and at these temperatures...I have lived for long enough in Lapland to know exactly how these conditions effect people from warmer climates.
I wish them all the best.

A very harsh comment sir

There may have been some thing special down there
There are almost 700 pplz working day and night changing shifts plus more than dozen excavators.....these 40 pplz might be taking a small rest with the others working down there........:smokin:

I just read some really insensitive comments by some indians on the internet and all I can say is that i am ashamed.

Purely by observation such people are a minority and i hope they are very young and sober down as they mature.

Thanks for the kind words bro - there are millions of people with millions of opinions. Its probably a handful playing to the audience.Thank goodness on the whole we have a good bunch of people on here making it the best forum around. Im proud to say after viewing what you viewed you will like myself value the forum we have on here.

So is IK really going there?

Would be a big slap on the face of the ruling party.

Thanks for the kind words bro - there are millions of people with millions of opinions. Its probably a handful playing to the audience.Thank goodness on the whole we have a good bunch of people on here making it the best forum around. Im proud to say after viewing what you viewed you will like myself value the forum we have on here.

Just ignore anyone who makes light of this tragedy.

The nation will bear this loss with dignity, and we all must do the same.

So is IK really going there?

Would be a big slap on the face of the ruling party.

Funny, how exactly is IK going to get there? Not exactly a tourist destination, is it? The only way he can get there is if the government gives him permission. Or is it different in Pakistan?

Funny, how exactly is IK going to get there? Not exactly a tourist destination, is it? The only way he can get there is if the government gives him permission. Or is it different in Pakistan?

No there shouldn't be any problem unless he is regretted for some technical reason.

There are almost 700 pplz working day and night changing shits plus more than dozen excavators.....these 40 pplz might be taking a small rest with the others working down there........:smokin:

I haven't seen the pictures but if it were of a couple of guys smoking then this is why:

These guys work in shift, after about an hour of digging, it becomes physically impossible to dig on any longer, the lactic acid build-up is fast due to lack of oxygen and takes longer to shake off as the oxygen debt takes it's time. As for the smoking part, that's just to warm the lungs. EVERYBODY IN SIACHEN SMOKES, that's the only way to warm your lungs, otherwise, prolonged deep breathing makes you feel like you have a freezer in your chest and may lead to the lungs being filled with water. I think that's called oedema or something.

I haven't seen the pictures but if it were of a couple of guys smoking then this is why:

These guys work in shift, after about an hour of digging, it becomes physically impossible to dig on any longer, the lactic acid build-up is fast due to lack of oxygen and takes longer to shake off as the oxygen debt takes it's time. As for the smoking part, that's just to warm the lungs. EVERYBODY IN SIACHEN SMOKES, that's the only way to warm your lungs, otherwise, prolonged deep breathing makes you feel like you have a freezer in your chest and may lead to the lungs being filled with water. I think that's called oedema or something.

Pulmonary edema can be fatal.

for 13,000 feet:

oxygen by vcheng552000, on Flickr

More information here for those interested:

http://www.altitude.org/oxygen_levels.php

and

Altitude.org | Hemoglobin saturation graph

No PR85/2012-ISPR Dated: April 14, 2012
Rawalpindi - April 14, 2012:

Update Avalanche Clearance at Gayari Sector Siachen

Search and rescue Operation at Gayari continues even in extremely cold conditions. A fresh slide, which had triggered at the site of old avalanche, have created difficulties for troops devoted to conducting search and rescue operation at Gayari. The situation has been compounded by the mass of snow in which troops are working under low temperature, intermittent snowfall and piercing blizzards. However, concern of their brothers at arms under avalanche is driving troops of Siachen Sector to endure hardships of the weather and terrain to accomplish their task befittingly.
The excavation work, therefore, continue at its fullest exploiting all available manual and mechanical resources. The endeavour is to dig as quickly as possible. In this regard, the search teams have commenced excavation at a new site as well with the help of plant equipment and infantry troops. The rescue teams have conducted first level explosion to dig further into hard mass of snow against the tunnel being attempted to access a suspected structure at an important excavation site. The digging team is doing a remarkable job in undertaking the tunnelling effort against all odds like heavy pileup of snow, extreme cold and cramped up work space. The excavation work at the remaining sites continues as usual. The all out support rendered by the nation by making maximum resources available have boosted the morale of the troops and given them vigour to undertake the mammoth task.

3149.jpg

Local Military Commander briefing the foreign members of search and rescue team prior to start of their work at Gayari Sector. (14-04-2012)

3150.jpg

3151.jpg

3152.jpg

Back
Top Bottom