What's new

Avalanche traps about 150 Pakistani soldiers

Absolutely gutted to hear the news. I hope many of them come out alive.

oh man this is horrible....

India should end this madness and back off...:angry:
Leader, u r talking like a follower.....
what stops pakistan from ending this madness.
At this time of great loss to PA, you are playing politics and blaming India.

Hope to see a 'real' Leader in pakistan who can take action , not just pose or talk.

can somebody ring one of the above numbers and write an update on the situation?

Press Release
No PR66/2012-ISPR Dated: April 7, 2012
Rawalpindi - April 7, 2012:
As many as 135 persons including 124 army soldiers and 11 civilians (paid out of def estb) of 6 Northern Light Infantry Battalion came under a huge snow slide early this morning in Gayari sector near Skardu. Snow slide is covering an area of 1 sq kilometer. This battalion headquarter is situated at same place for last 20 years and no incident of this nature has happened.

However immediately after the incident Rescue efforts went in on. Sniffing dogs, helicopters and troops on ground are employed on rescue efforts .

Heavy Engineers machinery have been moved from Rawalpindi by air.

---------------------------------------------------

How did they manage to Airlift Heavy machinery to that height?...
See that's where the Army went wrong.You will probably not find this in any news but on May 6th,1996 a similar avalanche occurred which wiped off the whole Battalion HQ.No casualty took place and let me tell you why.There is a masjid in that sector which was established by some Wali Ullah(the place is named after them).You see that masjid has been there for centuries and its unique position protects it from the snow though it sits right in the middle of the sector.
On that particular date it was 27th of Ramadhan and the Commanding officer had asked the whole battalion to be present inthat masjid at night by order.No one was supposed t be absent.Now around 2020 hrs the similar avalanche struck and the whole HQ was literally wiped.Though the masjid took only insignificant shower of the snow.Now after the avalanche the people were baffled as to how it occurred.You see the thing is that on one side of the valley there is a mountain which does not take snowfall at all.On the other side is a flat mountain which takes snow fall but the direction of it's avalanches are on the other direction.When investigated it was found that the avalanche occurred due to a mountain behind the first(snowless) mountain.The thing is similar avalanches have been occurring in that sector after an interval of 15 to 16 years.And the accumulated snow of 15 YEARS just lets go and the snow is so much that it jumps the mountain surrounding the sector.Now this type of avalanche is very dangerous as you can see why so a detailed report was sent to the Bde HQ so that this incident which happened today would not occur again.The Bde Hq decided to ignore it because there was no loss of life, and now due to the mistake committed by the Bde 15 years ago just cost us 150 lives and that's where the army went drastically wrong.It was suggested that units being deployed there should be informed to arrange annual firing in order to trigger the snow which wiuld instead create a relatively smaller avalanche which wont even touch the HQ but as i said this is where we went wrong.

Leader, u r talking like a follower.....
what stops pakistan from ending this madness.
At this time of great loss to PA, you are playing politics and blaming India.

Hope to see a 'real' Leader in pakistan who can take action , not just pose or talk.

So who else should we blame. Argentina?

The one who started this madness would end this madness.

The COAS is in Skardu along with commander X corps, will then fly to Gayari sector on heli and take a look at the efforts there.

Aur commander in chief apni mintain puri kar raha hai!

the glacier must have shown cracks days before shedding a wall of ice....same way the lose snow accumulation must have been visible..
PA should train people in the study and prediction of avalanches....
They do it in many countries....they keep studying snow accumulation on mountains and trigger small avalanches by cannon fire......just to avoid lose snow accumulation and building up into one massive avalanche...

but then again we are too tiny in front of forces of nature and nature will always outsmart us.

Hi,

If you read the american comments on yahoo / fox/ etc on this issue---it shows the true hatred that the american public has developed for pakistan----. Kiyani---you are pakistan's worst enemy.

Yahoo commentators are mostly youth who is frustrated for not finding proper jobs. Leave those idiots. I have seen them being sarcastic on all the tragic news for whatever country.

any update? in the newspaper so far no one has been rescued.. any survivors? i hope to hear some news.

any update? in the newspaper so far no one has been rescued.. any survivors? i hope to hear some news.

Doggy Media is busy in giving coverage to an other doggy :angry:

Zardari, Manmohan discuss all bilateral issues: Live Updates

The COAS is in Skardu along with commander X corps, will then fly to Gayari sector on heli and take a look at the efforts there.

Aur commander in chief apni mintain puri kar raha hai!

I wonder what he is going to get from a dead mans grave.

May Allah protects the jawans, Miracles do happen when Allah wants them to happen.

Yahoo commentators are mostly youth who is frustrated for not finding proper jobs. Leave those idiots. I have seen them being sarcastic on all the tragic news for whatever country.

yes..but if it was the other way round.....it may have been shouted all over news channels as proof of muzzie hate against amreekans and facebook groups had jumped into action opening insulting pages against muslims .

Hmm,The rescue Machinery will be taken from Rawalpindi,almost 450 km away from the site,its horrible,it will take approx 24 hours.Our military is doing business with the said machinery here whereas its needed there.what a self enmity and negligence.The responsible should be punished.

Back
Top Bottom