What's new

Avalanche traps about 150 Pakistani soldiers

A huge avalanche (5 kms long) is building up behind pak army goma base camp, goma bc is almost on the mouth of this avalanche, although a rock behind goma bc is protecting it, but the force of avalanche that hit gayari shows that this rock behind GOMA would not be able to withstand force of this huge avalanche if it starts moving downward----at gayari there was a little protrusion from the mountain, and the belief was that if the glacier does indeed move a bit or something happens, the protrusion will block/deflect that moving mass, and the camp will be spared. then the river was also there.------ at gayari, the whole mass of the glacier just moved unexpectedly. non-normal conditions were there in the days preceding the event, high temp than before, lower temp than before, means some serious changes are taking place in the area.
I am no military expert..but my humble opinion is goma base camp shouldn't be there.....
I would really appreciate if military experts on this forum could discuss this issue… thanks

I dont know how to post an image from my PC, I have images of Goma camp from different angles but could not post here, so posting a link of map of location, just see the location from different angles using google earth and pls let me know if my fears are real?

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=35.1652133&lon=76.7855419&z=14&l=0&m=b

A huge avalanche (5 kms long) is building up behind pak army goma base camp, goma bc is almost on the mouth of this avalanche, although a rock behind goma bc is protecting it, but the force of avalanche that hit gayari shows that this rock behind GOMA would not be able to withstand force of this huge avalanche if it starts moving downward----at gayari there was a little protrusion from the mountain, and the belief was that if the glacier does indeed move a bit or something happens, the protrusion will block/deflect that moving mass, and the camp will be spared. then the river was also there.------ at gayari, the whole mass of the glacier just moved unexpectedly. non-normal conditions were there in the days preceding the event, high temp than before, lower temp than before, means some serious changes are taking place in the area.
I am no military expert..but my humble opinion is goma base camp shouldn't be there.....
I would really appreciate if military experts on this forum could discuss this issue… thanks

I dont know how to post an image from my PC, I have images of Goma camp from different angles but could not post here, so posting a link of map of location, just see the location from different angles using google earth and pls let me know if my fears are real?

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

I dont think most people here are qualified for answering your question ..If an Avalanche is indeed building up and its known, thenthe best option for Pak army is to carefully trigger it in small proportions so that it empties out without harming anyone.

actually this base camp looks fine...the glacier on the left hand side in the picture is high up in the mountains...

actually this base camp looks fine...the glacier on the left hand side in the picture is high up in the mountains...

Look at Siachen. The whole glacier is filled with such thick ice. Even in case of a avalanche or snow slide, the base is safe. :)
I know a Major who was in Goma last year, and he mentioned about floods that keep hitting Goma.

the shape of glacier at gayari was very different from Goma...

7064477323_c3455fbf88_b.jpg

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

Hi,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the post---please ask one of the mods or admins to help you out.

But the size of glacier behind GOMA is much bigger as compared to glacier at gayari... and goma is almost on mouth of this 5 kms long terrible avalanche

Help: can anybody describe how to post images saved in my PC, I would really appreciate.. thanks

But the size of glacier behind GOMA is much bigger as compared to glacier at gayari... and goma is almost on mouth of this 5 kms long terrible avalanche

Help: can anybody describe how to post images saved in my PC, I would really appreciate.. thanks

Use tinypic.com to upload your photo, and then post the link here within
tags.

Hey, can somebody tell me if you guys got out the bodies of those 139 soldiers from under the avalanche in Siachen? or still the work is on?

Nothing found yet,and its been 33 days of hard work...

I am not seeing related news in any Pakistani news websites. Is there any hope of getting the bodies out?

All info or news you will find in this thread...
There is no chance of anybody surviving..But dead bodies are being searched...
The trouble is that the Avalanche had displaced everything in cluding the Buildings and obviously the soldiers...

Who edits this magazine?

No disrespect, but Gen Kayani is pointing one way and looking in another, and the finger of the guy on his left is blurred; a better picture could have been chosen. And why is "Unturned" capitalized?

===============================

This should be declared as the recovery operation that is actually is; to pretend otherwise is simply wrong at this point in time.

Back
Top Bottom