What's new

Australia's first Muslim frontbencher abused for "taking oath on Quran"

it takes a few idiots on Australian social sites to get most of them ( Pakistanis) here riled up...

Here is where the conversation should be here on PDF. At least they( Australians) allow Muslims to be elected to every position in office vs. in many Islamic countries...that is more important discussion and a shame for any country saying they treat minorities equal. that is state sanctioned bigotry.

I wonder how would it be in Pakistan if a christian MPA wants to take oath on Bible

Idiots! He is more likely to take his oath seriously because he swore on something very important to him
My understanding is that Muslims consider swearing by the Koran valid only if the Muslim community of the person making the oath commonly does so. link Otherwise it isn't a valid oath.

My opening line was "Government Ministers/Secretaries shouldn't be swearing on any sort of religious book"

Although if you want them to take an HONEST oath, you'd want them to take one in which they believe in. The whole concept of oath is religious, i.e. you're basically inviting divine retribution by breaking the oath - do you take an oath for any other job? No you sign an employment contract. The same should be in this case.

My understanding is that Muslims consider swearing by the Koran valid only if the Muslim community of the person making the oath commonly does so. link Otherwise it isn't a valid oath.

Technically that's what we've all been taught. But then the Muslim Oath would actually involve saying "I swear upon Allah that ...". That is the only religiously binding oath. But I'm guessing here the issue is more about freedom. Since it is allowed to take an oath on any thing, then he should be allowed to take an oath on it.

@xdrive

Australian parliament innitiates proceedings after reciting from the Holy Bible is done,whats your opinion on that?

It shouldn't be done. The only reason it is done is because most of the parliament is christian.

Last edited by a moderator:
@somebozo

What else do you think Christian or Sikh MPs take their oath on. I'd be happy if you could produce a proof of when they have been forced to take their oath on the Qura'an?

Last edited by a moderator:
To inform you about my reply?
u take this so seriously eh?
what a joker are u man,my company is more than happy to have me here and i make money for Australia,not the other way around.

It is not about taking it seriously, it is conversational etiquette, like when you adress someone in real life you gesture towards him or look straight in the eyes. It's basic manires.

Even so,it would have been a farse of an oath if he would have taken it on a Bible as a muslim,don't you think?

Does your little rule,apply to the Jews,the Hindus and the Sikhs
as well or is it a 'MoOoOzzlum specific' rule?

Is an Australian Jewish MP taking oath on the Holy Torah is 'more valid' than an Australian Muslim MP taking oath on the Holy Qura'an?

Does your little rule,apply to the Jews,the Hindus and the Sikhs
as well or is it a 'MoOoOzzlum specific' rule?

Is an Australian Jewish MP taking oath on the Holy Torah is 'more valid' than an Australian Muslim MP taking oath on the Holy Qura'an?

I think he was just talking about it being Islamicly valid. Technically there's no such thing as I swear upon my mother or quran.

Back
Top Bottom