What's new

***** Australia Rejects Joint Patrol with US Navy in South China Sea *****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only recently on the apparent weakness of the ruling coalition, if you are the far right. "Cina Komunis" propaganda is just silly.

that is really troubling. they are making of it like it was nothing. i don't know but, has Malaysia ever participated in any Communist Purge? if not then they are not the one to talk.

it seems that things has gone so much racist in Malaysia nowadays. calling the Local Chinese "Cina" is considered offensive in Indonsia, due to the fact that they feel they're treated as Outsider by that call. the Govt has officially forbid the calling of such.

that is really troubling. they are making of it like it was nothing. i don't know but, has Malaysia ever participated in any Communist Purge? if not then they are not the one to talk.

it seems that things has gone so much racist in Malaysia nowadays. calling the Local Chinese "Cina" is considered offensive in Indonsia, due to the fact that they feel they're treated as Outsider by that call. the Govt has officially forbid the calling of such.
Not similar to Indonesia, but they instead move the chinese into New Villages to monitor their activities. I don't consider Cina to be offensive, nothing to be butt hurt about especially in Malaysia. Communist does not insult me, but is clearly done with a motive.

Not similar to Indonesia, but they instead move the chinese into New Villages to monitor their activities. I don't consider Cina to be offensive, nothing to be butt hurt about especially in Malaysia. Communist does not insult me, but is clearly done with a motive.

i'm talking about Communists in general, not Chinese Communists. during the 1965 move, those 2 Millions dead bodies belongs to the Indonesians. there are also Chinese victims in that purge, but their numbers are so few when compared to the other millions.

well, aren't you Chinese Malaysians are tolarants. frankly speaking, the Chinese Indonesians are demanding too much when compared to Chinese Malaysians. glad to know the "Cina" call isn't offensive in Malaysia. it's causing a ruckus here.

Buddy...

The Viet Cong, as a movement and as a paramilitary unit, was a temporary thing. Once the Vietnam War was over, calling any Viet 'Viet Cong' not only is wrong, but is also an insult. Would YOU mind being call a 'coolie' ?

"coolie" is clearly stated as "offensive"
You are just as ignorant as jhungary:

Per Oxford Dictionary:
coolie: definition of coolie in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)
Definition of coolie in English:
noun (plural coolies)
dated or offensive
unskilled native laborer in India, China, and some other Asian countries.

American Heritage Dictionary:
American Heritage Dictionary Entry: coolie
n.pl. coo·lies

Offensive
An unskilled Asian laborer.
[Hindiqulī, laborer, perhaps ultimately fromKulī, a tribe in Gujarat.]

Macmillan Dictionary
coolie American English definition and synonyms | Macmillan Dictionary
coolie - definition and synonyms
an insulting word used in the past for a worker with no special skills in China, India, and other parts of Asia

Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary & Thesaurus
coolie - noun [C]
coolie Meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

UK US /ˈkuː.li/
old-fashioned
offensive
unskilled and cheaply employed worker in Asia› Indian English a person whose job is to carry things, especiallytravellers' bags at stations, airports, etc.

Coolie
Dictionary definitions you can understand - YourDictionary
Noun
(plural coolies)

1. (offensive, slang) An unskilled Asian worker, usually of Chinese or Indian descent; a labourer; a porter. Coolies were frequently transported to other countries in the 19th and early 20th centuries as indentured labourers.
  2. (offensive, slang, Trinidad, West Indies, Guyana and parts of Africa) A person of Indian descent.
Read more at Coolie dictionary definition | coolie defined

A poster who is Vietnamese have considered it as an offence,which means that you must not speak that in first place.
Next time,If you were found using terms which are offending any person,albeit it is not considered as slang by you,then you will be issued negative rating,warning or it could be permanent ban.
There are some words which may not be looked like offense to one nationality,but they might be considered as offence by nationality in question.
For example, the term third world looks bad,as compare to underdeveloped..similarly Bangali sounds bad,and Bangladeshi is more preferred.
Please avoid such in future,no matter they are offensive or not,if hated by a poster...avoid it.

regards

Incorrect judgement!

You are setting a new definition for the reputable sources that I have quoted

If I regard someone who gives a comment which includes the term "Chinese Communist" as offensive and report the "abusive", would you give the poster a negative rating or ban the poster knowing the stated term is not defined as "offensive" by any reputable source?

Viet Cong slur debate

Keel even if you don't believe it is offensive, it is clear that a respected forum member does, and that there is basis for it being considered offensive and a slur.

The use of the word was clearly not the central point of your original post, so why continue arguing about it?

Just change it and/or apologize and get back on topic. It really shouldn't be a big deal for you since you didn't know you would be offending anybody with its use.

Alternatively ignore him. You are free to use slurs, (and yes it is considered offensive, at least in the US) just accept the consequences.

Then why is calling someone a 'monkey' offensive ?

You want to see ignorance ? Look in the mirror.

You have a problem seriously
Is "Monkey" human or animal?
Look in the mirror yourself!

Someone has used that term "monkey" for some people on forum here
I am not one of the people who uses "monkey" on anyone here on PDF, never!

Keel even if you don't believe it is offensive, it is clear that a respected forum member does, and that there is basis for it being considered offensive and a slur.

The use of the word was clearly not the central point of your original post, so why continue arguing about it?

Just change it and/or apologize and get back on topic. It really shouldn't be a big deal for you since you didn't know you would be offending anybody with its use.

Alternatively ignore him. You are free to use slurs, (and yes it is considered offensive, at least in the US) just accept the consequences.

The basis lies in authoritative sources and NOT be dictated by any individual preferences

Why should I apologize when it is people in the wrong who should apologize to me!

If anyone who uses a term and is doubtful if it is offensive then the first thing to clarify the doubt is to look into reliable resources for answers

I have found my definition of "vietcong" from sources which are widely regarded as reputable and there are multiple sources which do not state "veitcong" as offensive unlike "coolie" or "N" (for black people) ... etc

I have used "vietcong" because it is non offensive according to quoted authorities
My comment was blindly deleted and the ignorant people gave me 2 or 3 negative ratings because of an innocuos term. How ridiculous it is!

And jhungary has a terrible record of rudeness towards the Chinese community
His has given a total of 12 negative ratings to me before this thread and many of those were reflections of sheer immaturity in his character and the ratings were very ridiculously given!

He bragged about the number of "+ve ratings" received and that is exactly one of the flaws in the system
I would rather think that people who have given him "+ve ratings" were thinking of him as a cordial CHINESE

Right folks I concur that the term "Vietcong" should not be used. It is offensive and such a movement is no longer around.

Then take the issue as an offensive term by enlisting in the rules and regulations of the forum

No reputable literature outside of PDF people's thinking here has regarded it as offensive

Then take the issue as an offensive term by enlisting in the rules and regulations of the forum

No reputable literature outside of PDF people's thinking here has regarded it as offensive

So calling a person a "Vietcong" won't be deemed offensive?

So calling a person a "Vietcong" won't be deemed offensive?

NO
By defintion of the many reputable dictionaries that I have quoted in post @20
please read here below

My comment is here to stay:

"When my post which said japan india vietcongs and pinoys will fill the vacuum was deleted for no reason, these events are on way to actualise my prediction:

The Crane, Tiger and Eagle at Play ! Exercise Malabar kicks off with US, Japanese, Indian navies

Japanese Army (JGSDF) and US Army conclude Exercise Rising Thunder 2015

images

Source: ***** Australia Rejects Joint Patrol with US Navy in South China Sea ***** | Page 2 "

Definition of "Viet Cong" by authoritiative sources and not by woodoo reference as quoted by ill-learnt and/ or unqualified opinion:

Oxford Dictionary:
Vietcong - definition of Vietcong in English from the Oxford dictionary

VietcongLine breaks: Viet|cong
Pronunciation: /vjɛtˈkɒŋ/

Definition of Vietcong in English:
noun (plural same)
guerrilla movement in Vietnam whichfought the South Vietnamese government forces 1954–75 with the support of the North Vietnamesearmy and opposed the South Vietnam and US forces in the Vietnam War.
Vietnamese, literally '
Vietnamese Communist'.

Words that rhyme with Vietcong
along, belong, bong, chaise longue, Geelong, gong, Guangdong, Haiphong, Heilong, Hong Kong, Jong, King Kong, long, mah-jong, Mao Zedong, Mekong, nong, pong, prolong, sarong, Shillong, song, souchong, strong, thong, throng, tong, wrong

Dictionary.com
Vietcong | Define Vietcong at Dictionary.com
Vietcong
or Viet Cong
[vee-et-kong, -kawng, vyet-, vee-it-] (during the Vietnam War)

noun, plural Vietcong.
a Communist-led army and guerrilla force in South Vietnam that fought its government and was supported by North Vietnam.

a member or supporter of this force.
adjective

of or relating to this force or one of its members or supporters.

American Heritage Dictionary
American Heritage Dictionary Entry: Vietcong

(vē-ĕt′kŏng, -kông, vē′ĭt-, vyĕt′-)

n.pl. Vietcong also Viet Cong Abbr. VC
A Vietnamese belonging to or supporting the National Liberation Front of the nation formerly named South Vietnam.
adj.
Of or relating to the Vietcong.

[Vietnamese, short for Việt Nam Cộng Sảm, Vietnamese Communist : Việt Nam, Vietnam +Cộng Sản, communist (translation of Mandarin gòngchǎn : gòng, together + chǎn, property, production).

Merriam-Webster
Vietcong | Definition of Vietcong by Merriam-Webster

Vietcong
noun Viet·cong
plural Vietcong

Definition of VIETCONG
: a guerrilla member of the Vietnamese Communist movement

Student dictionary
Definition of Vietcong - Merriam-Webster's Student Dictionary

One entry found for Vietcong.Main Entry: Viet·cong
Pronunciation: v
emacr.gif
-
primarystress.gif
et-
primarystress.gif
eng.gif
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural Vietcong
Etymology: from the Vietnamese phrase Viêt Nam công-san "Vietnam communist"
: a guerrilla soldier in the Vietnamese Communist movement from the late 1950s to 1975

Collins English Dictionary
Definition of “Vietcong” | Collins English Dictionary
Vietcong (ˌvjɛtˈkɒŋ ) oror Viet Cong
Definitions
noun
(in the Vietnam War)
  1. the Communist-led guerrilla force and revolutionary army of South Vietnam; the armed forces of the National Liberation Front of South Vietnam
  2. a member of these armed forces
  3. (modifier) of or relating to the Vietcong or a Vietcong
Word Origin
from Vietnamese Viet Nam Cong San Vietnamese Communist

Anyone who wants to take Vietcong as an insult - then an insult is born within him/herself instantly

Last edited:
If multiple members find it offense then don't use Vietcong, same goes for Jap.

who is more authoritative
the members or the dictionaries? The members are collectively at fault here!

again if we have members who complain that "communist China" is offensive to Chinese members here on pdf should you give -ve ratings to those who use "communist China" in their comments and to ban them as well?

I say this once again:

the dictionaries that I quoted are world reputable
how many of you look them up when you have doubts for unknown vocabulary or verbal meaning or description?

Members here on pdf, however senior or high ranking they are, vary very widely in qualities and as such we rely on reliable and creditable resources for definitive answers

It is often set as the norm everywhere and PDF is not alone to ask for quotation of sources so as to back up arguments

I think I have done so fully and adequately

And people are just blind to have deleted my posts and given me -ve ratings

Same old pattern with the Chinese here. They want the freedom to be as insulting as they wish but not for everyone else. CDF went down the toilet and now PDF is heading there. Congratulations to the admin staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom