What's new

The Crane, Tiger and Eagle at Play ! Exercise Malabar kicks off with US, Japanese, Indian navies

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
The U.S., Indian and Japanese navies kicked off Exercise Malabar 2015 — annual sea and shore training aimed at enhancing maritime security in the Indo-Pacific region — this week in Chennai, India.

This year’s drills, which run through Oct. 19, focus on surface and anti-submarine warfare, air defense and search-and-rescue tactics, according to a U.S. Navy statement. At-sea portions of the exercise will take place off India’s east coast in the Bay of Bengal.

Founded in 1992, Malabar traditionally involves just the U.S. and India. Japan took part as a guest in the past, and became a permanent member this year despite protests from China.

“Each iteration of this exercise helps to advance the level of understanding between our sailors, and we hope to be able to continue this process over time,” the Navy statement said. “Our navies are natural partners, and we look forward to continuing to strengthen our bonds and personal relationships.”

Representing the U.S. is the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, guided-missile cruiser USS Normandy and littoral combat ship USS Fort Worth. A P-8A Poseidon aircraft and a nuclear-powered fast-attack submarine are also taking part.

Participating vessels for India include a destroyer, frigates, a submarine and a support ship. Japan brings the JS Fuyuzuki, a guided-missile destroyer.

Exercise Malabar kicks off with US, Japanese, Indian navies - Pacific - Stripes

@Roybot @SpArK @AUSTERLITZ @Spectre @Whazzup @levina @Echo_419 @AMDR @Technogaianist @Transhumanist @F-22Raptor @James Jaevid @Bundeswehr @Sakura_Kaigun @yoshi.oda

image.jpg

image.jpg

japan1.jpg

PTI-MALABAR-2015-Naval-Excercise.jpg

n-india-a-20140731.jpg

Malabar_2015_4.jpg

This is a progressive step towards building an arc of free navigation all the way from east pacific to the indian ocean through co-operation of these 3 nations as well as australia.Indian navy should also use these oppurtunities to fine tune their skills ,especially experience on chinese submarine activity and practices from USN and JMSDF .We should also look at the setup of the fleets of these 2 experienced navies who have been operating air defence destroyers for a long time,of the class we are now recieving with the kolkata class and how to incorporate those lessons.The IN will deploy one of its upgraded kilos for this exercise which will be a great experience for JMSDF and USN too i think,because this is PLAN's one of premier subs.Overall win-win for all sides concerned.:cheers:

@Nihonjin1051
Kaigun: Strategy, Tactics, and Technology in the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1887-1941: David C. Evans, Mark R. Peattie: 9781591142447: Amazon.com: Books
You might want to check this book out mate.Its a superb book though costly,given ur interest in the IJN .I obtained a copy and was blown away.

Last edited:
This is a progressive step towards building an arc of free navigation all the way from east pacific to the indian ocean through co-operation of these 3 nations as well as australia.Indian navy should also use these oppurtunities to fine tune their skills ,especially experience on chinese submarine activity and practices from USN and JMSDF .We should also look at the setup of the fleets of these 2 experienced navies who have been operating air defence destroyers for a long time,of the class we are now recieving with the kolkata class and how to incorporate those lessons.The IN will deploy one of its upgraded kilos for this exercise which will be a great experience for JMSDF and USN too i think,because this is PLAN's one of premier subs.Overall win-win for all sides concerned.:cheers:

@Nihonjin1051
Kaigun: Strategy, Tactics, and Technology in the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1887-1941: David C. Evans, Mark R. Peattie: 9781591142447: Amazon.com: Books
You might want to check this book out mate.Its a superb book though costly.Given ur interest in the IJN,i obtained a copy and was blown away.

Yes, bro, definitely agree with you that this is a paradigm shift in regards to how the JMSDF and the Indian Navy once cooperated and communicated with each other -- from one that was based on side-line reviews and diplomatic-based data exchanges, to actually direct military to military dialogue, interoperability, interchange, and education platforms. Part of this has to be credited to the Indian Navy's invitation to the JMSDF to attend Malabar several years ago, i think it was back in 2007 or 2008, but ever since then the level of naval attache communication between India and Japan has skyrocketed. There are actually now military officer exchange programs between both the Indian Navy and the JMSDF, and I think this is healthy and a necessary step because as both the IN and JMSDF cooperate on a trans-regional and global aspect, the higher chances of each other helping each other requires each side to know the culture, the order, and the mechanisms of the other side. I suppose the naval development between India and Japan is just part of the overall Indo-Japanese entente and alliance development that has reached all facets: from social development, economic partnership, manufacturing r&d, space exploration interchange (JAXA and ISRO), and to an academic standard as the level of Japanese-Indian academic reciprocity also increases.

Really exciting times for both our countries and our navies.

I can't wait to see more pictures , too. The INS Shivalik looks pretty darn impressive, bro!

@Nihonjin1051
You might want to check this book out mate.Its a superb book though costly.Given ur interest in the IJN,i obtained a copy and was blown away.

india-japan-re-L.jpg

What symbolism , bro ! :-)

Your navy has nothing lion/tiger in it,its more like pussy cat...

As said in the Upanishad scriptures, "Satyameva jayate" [Truth Alone Triumphs!]

Well , i tried to make it as accurate as possible. What is the Indian National Animal? Is it Tiger? Lion or Elephant.

If i listed the National Animal of India incorrectly, i will edit it.

As said in the Upanishad scriptures, "Satyameva jayate" [Truth Alone Triumphs!]

Well , i tried to make it as accurate as possible. What is the Indian National Animal? Is it Tiger? Lion or Elephant.

If i listed the National Animal of India incorrectly, i will edit it.

Its Tiger.

Hope to see Japan's Carrier and India's carrier in this exercise as well. Maybe next time.

Good pictures. Keep them coming.

The analogy is hugely flawed. Two birds and one tiger.
What we are thats not the question but how we define us. And Indians never use tiger as their brand.
Crow or cow suits well with India.
Its royal Bengal tiger my friend..:cheers:

Yes, bro, definitely agree with you that this is a paradigm shift in regards to how the JMSDF and the Indian Navy once cooperated and communicated with each other -- from one that was based on side-line reviews and diplomatic-based data exchanges, to actually direct military to military dialogue, interoperability, interchange, and education platforms. Part of this has to be credited to the Indian Navy's invitation to the JMSDF to attend Malabar several years ago, i think it was back in 2007 or 2008, but ever since then the level of naval attache communication between India and Japan has skyrocketed. There are actually now military officer exchange programs between both the Indian Navy and the JMSDF, and I think this is healthy and a necessary step because as both the IN and JMSDF cooperate on a trans-regional and global aspect, the higher chances of each other helping each other requires each side to know the culture, the order, and the mechanisms of the other side. I suppose the naval development between India and Japan is just part of the overall Indo-Japanese entente and alliance development that has reached all facets: from social development, economic partnership, manufacturing r&d, space exploration interchange (JAXA and ISRO), and to an academic standard as the level of Japanese-Indian academic reciprocity also increases.

Really exciting times for both our countries and our navies.

I can't wait to see more pictures , too. The INS Shivalik looks pretty darn impressive, bro!

I wish kolkata class was involved,rather than the old rajput class.Japanese navy is master of ASW and IN needs to exchange ideas with them to tackle chinese submarine threat in IOR more efficiently.With PM Abe's new vision of stronger japan militarily,this co-operation will only increase exponentially.Hope in the return exercises IN sends a carrier and kolkata class to visit the pacific.:tup:

Back
Top Bottom