What's new

Australia actually declares ‘war’ on cats, plans to kill 2 million by 2020

those two vids are lies??

I don't believe any cat lover, cats cause the most environment damage in the world, they destroy all native animals, they kill and butcher for fun. Please stop spinning lies about dogs, cats are shameful creatures, they serve no purpose. At least dogs protect humans and babies, what do cats do? I tell you what they do, they look useless, big balls of fur that should be wiped out.

home invasion?? i should really be counting on my neighbors... if they don't help, then i am living in a wrong place.. and any place with numerous dogs is already a shitty place and crime prone.

human cities should be a compromise between humans and cats... that will bring a harmonious and peaceful living where crime is looked at from every angle and its reasons are cancelled.

Actually our real estate is too large enough to have any considerable effect from the neighbors. So we release alsatians to roam around the property. Recently got an armed guard, yet I trust on the dogs more..

Cat parasite linked to mental illness, schizophrenia

Everyone loves cuddling with kittens. But there can be a little-known danger lurking behind that furry little face and that innocent-sounding meow: a parasite called Toxoplasma gondii (T. gondii).

T. gondii is the most common parasite in developed nations, according toSchizophrenia Bulletin. The cat-carried parasite can infect any warm-blooded species, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates more than 60 million people in the U.S. may have it.

Most people never suffer any symptoms at all. But in those with weaker immune systems, infection with T. gondii can cause an illness called toxoplasmosis, which can result in miscarriages, fetal development disorders, weeks of flu-like illness, blindness and even death. It has also been associated with mental disorders including schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Now two more studies explore the mental health issues in greater detail.

E. Fuller Torrey of the Stanley Medical Research Institute and Dr. Robert H. Yolken of Stanley Laboratory of Developmental Neurovirology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine have been studying the link between infection with T. gondii and schizophrenia for close to three decades.

Their most recent study, published in Schizophrenia Research, along with researcher Wendy Simmons, compared two previous studies that found a link between childhood cat ownership and the development of schizophrenia later in life with an unpublished survey on mental health from 1982, 10 years before anydata on cat ownership and mental illness had been published. Results of the analysis indicated that cat exposure in childhood may be a risk factor for developing mental disorders.

"Cat ownership in childhood has now been reported in three studies to be significantly more common in families in which the child is later diagnosed with schizophrenia or another serious mental illness," the authors reported

In a second recent study, A.L. Sutterland from the Department of Psychiatry at the Academic Medical Centre in Amsterdam and colleagues analyzed the findings of 50 published studies to confirm that T. gondii infection is associated with mental disorders. The research was published in the journal Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica.

Results showed that an individual infected with T. gondii was almost twice as likely to develop schizophrenia. They also found an association with addiction and obsessive-compulsive disorder, but say that the findings should be approached with caution.

"In schizophrenia, the evidence of an association with T. gondii is overwhelming," the authors say in a press release. "These findings may give further clues about how T. gondii infection can possibly [alter] the risk of specific psychiatric disorders."

The Humane Society estimates there are 75 to 80 million pet cats and another 30 to 40 million stray or feral cats roaming the United States. Outdoor cats have an increased likelihood of infection with T. gondii. Cats excrete millions of infected eggs, or oocysts, in their feces, which can remain in soil or water for years.

Fortunately, there are precautions that cat lovers can take -- you don't have to limit your feline contact to watching cat videos on YouTube.

"Children can be protected by keeping their cat exclusively indoors and always covering the sandbox when not in use," Torrey told CBS News in an email. The CDC also recommends changing the cat's litter box daily, since T. gondii does not become infectious until 1 to 5 days after it is shed in feces. In addition, avoid feeding cats raw or undercooked meat.

Because toxoplasmosis is especially hazardous to unborn babies, health officials recommend that pregnant women avoid cleaning litter boxes, if possible, or wear disposable gloves and wash hands thoroughly with soap and water afterwards.

Cat parasite Toxoplasma gondii linked to mental illness, schizophrenia - CBS News

I don't believe any cat lover, cats cause the most environment damage in the world, they destroy all native animals, they kill and butcher for fun. Please stop spinning lies about dogs, cats are shameful creatures, they serve no purpose. At least dogs protect humans and babies, what do cats do? I tell you what they do, they look useless, big balls of fur that should be wiped out.

A few days ago I woke up with a loud thud in my room.

Turned out a cat had jumped into the room through the part open ventilator.

Both of us stared at each other (I was between it and the ventilator as I leaped off my bed).

I don't know who was more scared. The cat or I.

they are the most gentle creatures.

a story from day before yesterday... i was walking along a road and saw the rarest sight in indian cities - a cat, on the roadside scratching himself... i went near him gently and extended my hand slowly... he sniffed and meowed... he then allowed me to pick him up and i settled him onto platform nearby which had a tree in the center.

there were two ladies nearby watching and i thought i encouraged them to be friends with cats.

Proves my point, try finding a video or article that shows cats protect babies, and I guarantee you wont. Because cats are scared of their own shadow.

I already mentioned, cats are useless creatures. They do not have a conscience.

This a heart warming video.

When I return home every year, my Alsatians pounce upon me, as they have so many things to tell that happened when I wasn't home. Warms my heart.

they are the most gentle creatures.

a story from day before yesterday... i was walking along a road and saw the rarest sight in indian cities - a cat, on the roadside scratching himself... i went near him gently and extended my hand slowly... he sniffed and meowed... he then allowed me to pick him up and i settled him onto platform nearby which had a tree in the center.

there were two ladies nearby watching and i thought i encouraged them to be friends with cats.

Cats freak me out man.

I already mentioned, cats are useless creatures. They do not have a conscience.

This a heart warming video.

When I return home every year, my Alsatians pounce upon me, as they have so many things to tell that happened when I wasn't home. Warms my heart.

Dogs are awesome, so classy and gentle, bu fierce and vicious as well.

Dogs are cool, they are beautiful, cats are pricks, they only come to you when they are hungry, they go around killing things just for fun. Cats disgust me, we should nuke all cats in the world.

Those who are supporting and involved in this heinous crime of killing the most beautiful animal of the world should be burn to death.

These are cats welcoming their owners, what a piece of jerk. :lol:

Those who are supporting and involved in this heinous crime of killing the most beautiful animal of the world should be burn to death.

You were missing during the Yulin festival.

Cat lovers should all go hang themselves along with their disgusting cats.

Cat parasite linked to mental illness, schizophrenia

Everyone loves cuddling with kittens. But there can be a little-known danger lurking behind that furry little face and that innocent-sounding meow: a parasite called Toxoplasma gondii (T. gondii).

T. gondii is the most common parasite in developed nations, according toSchizophrenia Bulletin. The cat-carried parasite can infect any warm-blooded species, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates more than 60 million people in the U.S. may have it.

Most people never suffer any symptoms at all. But in those with weaker immune systems, infection with T. gondii can cause an illness called toxoplasmosis, which can result in miscarriages, fetal development disorders, weeks of flu-like illness, blindness and even death. It has also been associated with mental disorders including schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Now two more studies explore the mental health issues in greater detail.

E. Fuller Torrey of the Stanley Medical Research Institute and Dr. Robert H. Yolken of Stanley Laboratory of Developmental Neurovirology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine have been studying the link between infection with T. gondii and schizophrenia for close to three decades.

Their most recent study, published in Schizophrenia Research, along with researcher Wendy Simmons, compared two previous studies that found a link between childhood cat ownership and the development of schizophrenia later in life with an unpublished survey on mental health from 1982, 10 years before anydata on cat ownership and mental illness had been published. Results of the analysis indicated that cat exposure in childhood may be a risk factor for developing mental disorders.

"Cat ownership in childhood has now been reported in three studies to be significantly more common in families in which the child is later diagnosed with schizophrenia or another serious mental illness," the authors reported

In a second recent study, A.L. Sutterland from the Department of Psychiatry at the Academic Medical Centre in Amsterdam and colleagues analyzed the findings of 50 published studies to confirm that T. gondii infection is associated with mental disorders. The research was published in the journal Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica.

Results showed that an individual infected with T. gondii was almost twice as likely to develop schizophrenia. They also found an association with addiction and obsessive-compulsive disorder, but say that the findings should be approached with caution.

"In schizophrenia, the evidence of an association with T. gondii is overwhelming," the authors say in a press release. "These findings may give further clues about how T. gondii infection can possibly [alter] the risk of specific psychiatric disorders."

The Humane Society estimates there are 75 to 80 million pet cats and another 30 to 40 million stray or feral cats roaming the United States. Outdoor cats have an increased likelihood of infection with T. gondii. Cats excrete millions of infected eggs, or oocysts, in their feces, which can remain in soil or water for years.

Fortunately, there are precautions that cat lovers can take -- you don't have to limit your feline contact to watching cat videos on YouTube.

"Children can be protected by keeping their cat exclusively indoors and always covering the sandbox when not in use," Torrey told CBS News in an email. The CDC also recommends changing the cat's litter box daily, since T. gondii does not become infectious until 1 to 5 days after it is shed in feces. In addition, avoid feeding cats raw or undercooked meat.

Because toxoplasmosis is especially hazardous to unborn babies, health officials recommend that pregnant women avoid cleaning litter boxes, if possible, or wear disposable gloves and wash hands thoroughly with soap and water afterwards.

Cat parasite Toxoplasma gondii linked to mental illness, schizophrenia - CBS News

It is suspected Louis Wain got schizophrenia from his cats

Australia actually declares ‘war’ on cats, plans to kill 2 million by 2020

Comments 3

By Ishaan Tharoor July 16 at 3:51 PM
announced plans to cull up to 2 million feral cats by 2020 in a bid to preserve dozens of native species that authorities claim face extinction because of the cats' predatory behavior.

Speaking to a national radio station, Gregory Andrews, the country's first threatened-species Commissioner, said Australian Environment Minister Greg Hunt "is declaring war on feral cats, and he's asked me to take charge of that program."

Hunt unveiled the five-year plan at a Melbourne zoo on Thursday, vowing to protect Australia's native mammal and bird populations.

"We are drawing a line in the sand today which says, 'On our watch, in our time, no more species extinction,'" Hunt said.

All of Australia's states and territories have agreed to list feral cats as "pests." The bulk of the government funding for the plan will go to administering the culls, which will involve baiting, shooting or poisoning feral cats. The government is taking many steps to prove that these actions will be carried out in as "humane and effective" a manner as possible.

"By 2020, I want to see 2 million feral cats culled, five new islands and 10 new mainland 'safe havens' free of feral cats, and control measures applied across 10 million hectares," Hunt said.

So what's so wrong about the cats?

The animals were introduced to the Antipodes about 200 years ago by European settlers and bred and spread rapidly across the Australian continent and New Zealand. According to one estimate, the roughly 20 million cats in Australia kill roughly 75 million native animals a day.

According to Britain's Guardian newspaper, Australia has one of the worst extinction records in the world, losing about 29 native mammal species since the European arrival. It now lists some 1,800 species as under threat.

Some of the most endangered animals include the greater bilby...

...the eastern bettong...

...the western quoll...

...and the numbat.

This is hardly the first time the scourge of feral cats has made national headlines in this part of the world. In 2013, a prominent economist turned environmental activist in New Zealand called for the wholesale eradication of the country's cats, deeming them "natural born killers."

Gareth Morgan's Web site contains this appeal to save New Zealand's native fauna, which developed as species for centuries in isolation:

New Zealand is the last refuge of a huge range of bird species, we’re famous for our claim to be clean and green, and some of us have recognised the huge economic benefit, let alone the ecological dividend, from achieving a Predator Free New Zealand.

But the vision is flawed. Almost half of Kiwi households have a cat (or two) making New Zealanders the world’s biggest cat owners 1. Cats are incredibly effective hunters and are wiping out our native birds.

The rest of the site is a jarring read, replete with cartoon drawings vilifying cats and explanatory text with headings such as "Your cat is not innocent."

Australian officials took a different line.

Australia actually declares ‘war’ on cats, plans to kill 2 million by 2020 - The Washington Post
nepoleon meow declares war for survival
11262222_1115362405193060_2716384173300046419_n.png

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom