What's new

Assessment | JF-17 Thunder, a 21st century F-20 Tigershark ?

Kompromat

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Took me 3 hours to put this together, hoping that you folks would like and appreciate my effort.

Hopefully we could have a reasonable debate on this topic starting with my comparison. Both jets share a similar design philosophy, design features, operational doctrine and operational roles.

Please stay civil.
Assessment-JF-17-Thunder-a-21st-century-F-20-Tigershark-page-001.jpg

Assessment-JF-17-Thunder-a-21st-century-F-20-Tigershark-page-002.jpg
Assessment-JF-17-Thunder-a-21st-century-F-20-Tigershark-page-003.jpg
Assessment-JF-17-Thunder-a-21st-century-F-20-Tigershark-page-004.jpg

You can, Download the Assessment attached to the thread below, in a PDF format.

If you don't have a PDF viewer you can download one here | Adobe - Install Adobe Reader

Or Download/read online | Assessment | JF-17 Thunder, a 21st century F-20 Tigershark ?

• Don't forget to rate on Scribd or Share.

Best | Aero

Attachments

• JF-17 Thunder_F-20 Tigershark_Assessment.pdf
    531.7 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
It would make more sense if you moved JFT to the left and F-20 to the right. This way they will also be aligned with the Text Title.

Other than that Great Job.

It would make more sense if you moved JFT to the left and F-20 to the right. This way they will also be aligned with the Text Title.

Other than that Great Job.

That is just a header. I have given the names in the boxes for a reason. I didn't want to make the image too small :P

Took me 3 hours to put this together, hoping that you folks would like and appreciate my effort.

Hopefully we could have a reasonable debate on this topic starting with my comparison. Both jets share a similar design philosophy, design features, operational doctrine and operational roles.

Please stay civil.

You can, Download the Assessment attached to the thread below, in a PDF format.

If you don't have a PDF viewer you can download one here | Adobe - Install Adobe Reader

Or Download/read online | Assessment | JF-17 Thunder, a 21st century F-20 Tigershark ?

• Don't forget to rate on Scribd or Share.

Best | Aero

I still remember how I was berated for saying that the JF-17 was just a modern F-20 a few months ago by the hyperpatriotic brigade. :D

Nice effort BTW.

There is no point in comparing it with F-20. It flies and bombs terrorists, its good.

For JF-17, maybe the most importan parameter is the high angle of attack maneuver, however, I can't find it in anywhere
Another important parameter is circle,but I think compared to other fighter, JF-17 does not show any superiority

The F-20 did, however, have several problems inherent to its small size. The low-mounted wing meant that there was limited ground clearance, and the position of the landing gear meant loads had to be positioned towards the outer ends of the wings. This limited hard point weights to 1,000 lb (454 kg) or less.[31] A single hard point under the fuselage could carry more, a single Mk 84 2,000 lbs bomb or up to five Mk 82 500 lbs bombs.[31] Additionally, although the wing profiling improved lift at higher angles of attack (AoA) while maneuvering, it did not improve cruise lift performance at normal AoA. This did not present a problem in the fighter role, but did severely reduce its payload/range figures compared to similar aircraft like the F-16

[/QUOTE]

No buyers
No blocks, only prototypes
No vulcan cannon
2 prototypes crashed

Aphl81D.jpg

jf-17 should be compared to its contemporaries which are in active service like gripen
O2B9O4M.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KLaNd.png

LIGHT FIGHTERS -- Global Need, Options, Unbiased broad comparisons

When we say jft is the 20th century mig21 -- we say hopefully in terms of sale possibility -- when paf compares jft to f16, it compares capability/ design philosophy based on f16 experience, when we compare jft with gripen, we compare two operational light fighters of the modern era

I dont remember if its the f c k1 which borrowed f20's avionics .. so this aircraft and probably the iranian Saeqeh versions would be the 21st century versions of f20

For JF-17, maybe the most importan parameter is the high angle of attack maneuver, however, I can't find it in anywhere
Another important parameter is circle,but I think compared to other fighter, JF-17 does not show any superiority
is that the reason Chinese are not buying it for their AF?

No,we have started J-10 project about 15 years before JF-17, and we can not afford to drop it. JF-17 is overlapped with J-10, so with J-10 then we should drop JF-17. Moreover, J-10 is larger than JF-17, larger means more space and much easier to uprgrade.
It seems you misunderstand my words. What I mean is JF-17 should have a very good high angle of attack maneuver
I found people here seldom notice this and said it is a mini version of F-16, but atcually it is more like F-18E/F from aerodynamics

Last edited:

Hi,

It does not work like that---. China has a big shortage of air superiority fighters. It needs a lots of them----. They are way behind schedule for the numbers they need.

Pakistan otoh has what it needs in the form of F16's. China and pakistan's air defence doctrine is different due to geographical location of the enemy---for that reason---the needs and aircraft are different.

According to pakistan---their needs are satisfied by replacing Q5's. Mirage 3 and 5 and F7's with JF17's.

China may never need the JF17---.

The IDF program was initiated when the United States of America refused to sell F-20 Tigershark and F-16 Fighting Falcon fighters to the Taiwan (Republic of China) following pressure from the People's Republic of China (PRC).
  • Configuration A was similar to the F-5E.
  • The IDF is equipped with a GD-53 Golden Dragon multi-mode monopulsePulse-Doppler radar, which is based on the General Electric AN/APG-67X band radar developed for the F-20 while sharing some components and technologies of the AN/APG-66 radar of the F-16A, and using a larger antenna than used by the F-20.[10] and this adaptation resulted in the look-down and shoot-down capability of GD-53 being greatly enhanced in comparison to that of the original AN/APG-67, reaching that of the AN/APG-66
There is also speculation that the use of less powerful engines was due to political rather than technical reasons, namely that the US did not want to see the Republic of China provoke the People's Republic of China and thus mandated the IDF to have a "range no greater than the F-5E" and "ground attack capability no greater than the F-16".

If not superiority But it is equivalent to f18 , F16 and mirage 2000 and other 4th and 4+ generation in many perspective .

Back
Top Bottom