What's new

Assessment | JF-17 Thunder, a 21st century F-20 Tigershark ?

jf-17 should be compared to its contemporaries which are in active service like gripen
http://i.imgur.com/KLaNd.png
http://i.imgur.com/JxOwXWU.jpg
LIGHT FIGHTERS -- Global Need, Options, Unbiased broad comparisons

When we say jft is the 20th century mig21 -- we say hopefully in terms of sale possibility -- when paf compares jft to f16, it compares capability/ design philosophy based on f16 experience, when we compare jft with gripen, we compare two operational light fighters of the modern era

I dont remember if its the f c k1 which borrowed f20's avionics .. so this aircraft and probably the iranian Saeqeh versions would be the 21st century versions of f20

The JF-17 needs a better engine to compete with the Gripen, and international politics will prevent it from having any large-scale sales successes like the MiG-21. The JF-17 will serve Pakistan very well, no doubt, to the best of its limited abilities.

I still remember how I was berated for saying that the JF-17 was just a modern F-20 a few months ago by the hyperpatriotic brigade. :D

Nice effort BTW.

It would be wrong to say that the JFT is 'just a modern F-20', though there is a legit comparison to be made between the two.

F-20 was one of the greatest planes, which were never put into production for a multitude of reasons.

JF-17 is on the same page as the early gripen. What must be understood is that a new Gripen is 3 times more xpensive than a JFT. You get what you pay for!

It would be wrong to say that the JFT is 'just a modern F-20', though there is a legit comparison to be made between the two.

F-20 was one of the greatest planes, which were never put into production for a multitude of reasons.

JF-17 is on the same page as the early gripen. What must be understood is that a new Gripen is 3 times more xpensive than a JFT. You get what you pay for!

May be your comparison table needs to include the Gripen too?

I would disagree, except for a few similarities here and there due to both being roughly in the same weight class, most numbers a quite different. I am sure you'll find much more similarity if you put up a chart with gripen c/d.

The JF-17 needs a better engine to compete with the Gripen, and international politics will prevent it from having any large-scale sales successes like the MiG-21. The JF-17 will serve Pakistan very well, no doubt, to the best of its limited abilities.

F-7 has very good export success. JF-17 is the successor of F-7, so who know? Only time will tell. :p: Thing is, Mirage had very good export success, but Mirage's successor Rafale does not. :o:

Chengdu J-7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

JF-17 is a light fighter like F-20. The two planes resemble each other visually, with JF-17 incorporating modifications like DSI. The two planes are visually similar is not a coincidence. In the 1980s when America and China were on friendly terms, Chengdu must have got an F-20 when it was developing Super 7 to replace J-7. You can see that the wings, tail, rear flaps are virtually identical between JF-17 and F-20. Just as J-10 is a 21st century F-16 and F/A-18 is a 21st century YF-17 Cobra, JF-17 is a 21st century F-20. :bounce:

F-20_flying.jpg

JF-17-Thunder-Symbol-of-Pak-China-Relations.jpg

1816170.jpg

Last edited:
There is really no comparison between the two jets. Why degrade Thunders by comparing with flop/failed projects?

The two planes can not be compared. F-20 never entered service with any air force. JF-17 is already serving with PAF.

JF-17 is a successful project while F-20 concept was not accepted by any air force.

F-7 has very good export success. JF-17 is the successor of F-7, so who know? Only time will tell. :p: Thing is, Mirage had very good export success, but Mirage's successor Rafale does not. :o:

Chengdu J-7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

JF-17 is a light fighter like F-20. The two planes resemble each other visually, with JF-17 incorporating modifications like DSI. The two planes are visually similar is not a coincidence. In the 1980s when America and China were on friendly terms, Chengdu must have got an F-20 when it was developing Super 7 to replace J-7. You can see that the wings, tail, rear flaps are virtually identical between JF-17 and F-20. Just as J-10 is a 21st century F-16 and F/A-18 is a 21st century YF-17 Cobra, JF-17 is a 21st century F-20. :bounce:

F-20_flying.jpg

JF-17-Thunder-Symbol-of-Pak-China-Relations.jpg

1816170.jpg
The red circled parts by me tell the difference of a 3rd generation design and a 2nd generation(old US standard and Chinese stardard), hope you can understand it. This tell why F-20 is 2.5 generation at most while JF-17 is 3rd generation. For a plane, engine, radar, flight control,arms can be upgraded, but not the design, otherwise it is a new plane and should be given a new name.
JF-17.jpg

DSI is another feature which is the new advancement of recent years' aerodynamics.

Last edited:
The red circled parts by me tell the difference of a 3rd generation design and a 2nd generation(old US standard and Chinese stardard), hope you can understand it.
I agree, it's a bad comparison. The F-20 is a design that is older than I am! It was just the latest updated version of the F-5 that first flew in 1959.

21191%20a.jpg

F-5A Philippine Air Force

Just owt of curiosity im asking no comparrission or anty anyone remarks

please can some one show a comparrison between stats or engine performance , internal feul capacity , external load carrying capacity , number of hard points , speed and take of and landing distances + radar specs of JF17 BLK 1 , tiger shark , M2K and LCA MK1

ple4ase im saying again its not a troll but simple curiosity hope MODS and OP and esteemed US, Paksitani and chinese members wont mind it

Thanks in Advance

Just owt of curiosity im asking no comparrission or anty anyone remarks

please can some one show a comparrison between stats or engine performance , internal feul capacity , external load carrying capacity , number of hard points , speed and take of and landing distances + radar specs of JF17 BLK 1 , tiger shark , M2K and LCA MK1

ple4ase im saying again its not a troll but simple curiosity hope MODS and OP and esteemed US, Paksitani and chinese members wont mind it

Thanks in Advance

I am making one - im trying to do it jet by jet - between JFT and LCA for example. It means i can add much more detail without getting the reader overwhelmed by information.

My plan is to produce documents with these comparisons.

• JF-17 Block1 - Gripen
  • JF-17 Block1 - Mirage-2000
  • JF-17 Block1 - F-16
  • JF-17 Block1 - Tejas
  • JF-17 Block1 - KA-50

I agree, it's a bad comparison. The F-20 is a design that is older than I am! It was just the latest updated version of the F-5 that first flew in 1959.

21191%20a.jpg

F-5A Philippine Air Force

Actually, the JF-17 is from that era too, albeit with some development:

Pakistan & China’s JF-17 Fighter Program

Sino Defense reminds us that the JF-17/FC-1 ‘Xiaolong’ has a long history. The site recalls external link that China signed a $550 million agreement with Grumman in 1986 to modernise its J-7 fighter external link (MiG-21 copy) under the “Super-7″ upgrade project, with US and British firms competing to provide the engine and avionics. The project was canceled after the Tienanmen Square massacre, but Chengdu Aircraft Industry Corporation managed to continue the program with its own resources, and the project was eventually re-branded as FC-1 (Fighter China-1).

The next big step forward for FC-1 came when the USA imposed military export sanctions in response to Pakistan’s nuclear program, and to Chinese-Pakistani transfers of ballistic missile components. With spares for its top-of-the-line F-16s in question, and additional F-16s removed as an option, Pakistan sought help from its Chinese ally.

=========================

Edit: From Jane's Aircraft bible:

1022169d1362573405-jf-17-fan-club-151838-8594-jf-17-fan-club-8592-720pixels.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, the JF-17 is from that era too, albeit with some development:

Pakistan & China’s JF-17 Fighter Program

Sino Defense reminds us that the JF-17/FC-1 ‘Xiaolong’ has a long history. The site recalls external link that China signed a $550 million agreement with Grumman in 1986 to modernise its J-7 fighter external link (MiG-21 copy) under the “Super-7″ upgrade project, with US and British firms competing to provide the engine and avionics. The project was canceled after the Tienanmen Square massacre, but Chengdu Aircraft Industry Corporation managed to continue the program with its own resources, and the project was eventually re-branded as FC-1 (Fighter China-1).

The next big step forward for FC-1 came when the USA imposed military export sanctions in response to Pakistan’s nuclear program, and to Chinese-Pakistani transfers of ballistic missile components. With spares for its top-of-the-line F-16s in question, and additional F-16s removed as an option, Pakistan sought help from its Chinese ally.

Good omen :D

Back
Top Bottom