What's new

Asad Umar: Malaysia interested in procuring JF-17 Thunder from Pakistan

they Do want Pakistan to train their forces dont they??

the guarantees would come from Pakistan for the fighter and its long term support, if we r offering not China....lets not forget Pakistan owns 58% of JF17 project.
Sir my point was do Malaysia Requires JF17s in the first place when they can buy top of the line hardware from Russia and USA?They already operate Su30s and F18 Super Hornets. They are not cash strapped at all their Foreign Exchange Reserves stand over 100 Billion Dollars!!!! as we speak and their current account is in surplus for almost 2 decades now.
I don't believe Malaysia is a market for our thunder. Arab states that have no good relations with Russia should be our primary focus though after Africa

Why not? This is happening because of this attempt. Aircraft take a little longer than other equipment to purchase; Azerbaijan now has their pilots on exchange checking out the JF17.. Nigeria has done their initial IPs..

See how long the Indian MMRCA took... and went nowhere.
Well, then this visit will, inshaAllah, reinitiate or accelerate process because since are not aware of the status.

Malaysia currently has shortlisted 4 aircraft: typhoon, rafale, gripen, F/A-18. they do not have a requirement for a fighter of class of JF-17. it would probably do much good for pakistan to offer partnership for production to Malaysia - sort of brings them into Pak/China fold firmly.
and deal is pending for 4 years given lack of resources ...they thus floated idea of leasing in which Rafael and f18 walked away, so now its gripen typgoon fight..and lets not forget a change of govt on top of this

Thanks for the Complements

They have Issues they are not Enemies. south China Sea is a Mess right now. Most Volatile Maritime conflict of current time
https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/c...d-belt-and-road-tensions-20180820-p4zyo3.html
https://www.ft.com/content/a37f9eac-a14c-11e8-85da-eeb7a9ce36e4

Malaysians are not like us who drive foreign policies on emotions. They have issues with china. They have Cancelled the OBOR Projects with China recently and are now mending ties with china. Its not Bread and Honey between them like it is between Us and China.

Malaysia is an Upper Middle Income Country like South Africa. Malaysian Current Account Surplus Balance is almost 10 Billion Dollars. An Economy of 350 Billion Dollars with Foreign Exchange reserves of Over 100 Billion Dollars!!!!!. Such a small country have more foreign exchange reserves then Turkey and Canada!!!!
He killed those projects due to their economic feasibility and repay ability as they are not that desperate economically as us to accept investment of any form and conditions

Wha?!!!
Su30MKM BAE Hawk and F18 Super Hornets are Old planes? :o:
Best of the operations 4.5th Generations fighters available from Americans and Russians
Even their Propeller Trainers are from Switzerland. Every second country buys our Super Mushak Trainer because of its cost effectiveness and efficiency. But Malays operate PC-7

Yes we are friendly Nations and we will Get great things from Malaysia. Will learn from them will increase Bilateral Trade. BUT they don't need our Defense Equipment we can cooperate in other areas. They don't have that much of hostility so they don't spend much on defense. they are peaceful people without any significant hostility.
They don't operate super hornet.

who told you they do..its C/D introduced in 1980s
Su30 is 20+ years old aircraft and needs upgrades that might be very expensive

I think that we had already offered JF-17 multiple times but chances were not looking bright, largely because of their perspective of their regional interests and situation. Now with Mahatir back in the driving seat, they are even bleaker.

I think that we had already offered JF-17 multiple times but chances were not looking bright, largely because of their perspective of their regional interests and situation. Now with Mahatir back in the driving seat, they are even bleaker.
its likely gripen or jf17 or used f16 or nothing ...

IMO I don't see Malaysia purchasing JF-17. I could be wrong, I just don't see it happening. Has China mastered critical subsystems such as AESA radar, EW, turbofan engine tech? Most importantly, can they be used against China in a potential clash over the South China Seas?

IMO I don't see Malaysia purchasing JF-17. I could be wrong, I just don't see it happening. Has China mastered critical subsystems such as AESA radar, EW, turbofan engine tech? Most importantly, can they be used against China in a potential clash over the South China Seas?

AESA Yes
RD-93 Malaysia is already using.

Agreed this is a far fetched possibility.

potential clash with chuna is what will make Malaysia think of f16/gripen

But issue is budget restrictions as well..china is country that noone can ignore and Malaysia issues are farless in south china than any other country

Malaysia currently has shortlisted 4 aircraft: typhoon, rafale, gripen, F/A-18. they do not have a requirement for a fighter of class of JF-17. it would probably do much good for pakistan to offer partnership for production to Malaysia - sort of brings them into Pak/China fold firmly.

jF-17 blk-3 is 4.5 generation, better the gripen.

Well, then this visit will, inshaAllah, reinitiate or accelerate process because since are not aware of the status.
IK has a persuasive power which he might have used to close the deal....

If Malaysia has some issues with China they better negotiate it out!!! Third party involvement will bring disasters...

Most importantly, can they be used against China in a potential clash over the South China Seas?

Malaysia should consider this an opportunity to join the Pak/China alliance and sort out its issues in South China Sea on the table rather than the battlefield.

I admire the JF-17. But to put it on the same class.....I don't know what to say.
You don’t think Block III JF-17 will be in the same class as Saab Gripen?

Gripen NG is a medium weight fighter with Mach 2.0 top speed and super cruise. Based on current specs, we cannot say the two fall in the same class.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom