What's new

Asad Umar: Malaysia interested in procuring JF-17 Thunder from Pakistan

Try not put high hope JF-17 on Malaysia Airforce (RMAF) LCA project.
Main objective is to to compare to upgrade RMAF Hawk 108/208 or replace to new aircraft, also to replace MB-339AM, BAE is push to upgrade RMAF or early news said offer if buying EFT under MRCA project than will get Hawk upgrade for free。 RMAF Hawk 108/208 already 25 years. and crash 9 from total 28 unit. RMAF seems a bit confident issue on Hawk. Leonardo push replace MB-339AM/Hawk 108/208 with M-346.
Well both M-346/FA-50 have LCA/LIFT (Lead-In Fighter Training) configuration option.
JF-17 should be pure Light fighter. not sure have LIFT version.
on Price FA30/M-346 price will be around USD 28-30 million each,
so what price JF-17 block 3 will be? i guest usd 35-40 million each..
RMAF have experiance repairing F404 engine via F18D, and RD33 via Mig29. i believe F404 will much reliable/long lifespan than RD33 lifespan in JF-17, it about 2000 hours? because RMAF Mig29 RD33 only have about 2000 hours lifespan.

https://www.janes.com/article/86017/malaysia-issues-rfi-for-kai-s-fa-50-light-fighter
https://www.janes.com/article/86182/leonardo-positions-for-malaysian-light-fighter-programme

Note happening. Malaysia have South China Sea Dispute with China So joint Production involving china have Slim Chance.
And as you mentioned Malaysia don't need JF17s as they have strong economy and they can afford to buy expensive Advance systems from USA, Russia and Europe
Brother, even if China and Malaysia have territorial disputes...
But China still exports advanced weapons to Malaysia.

According to Malaysian Defence:
Malaysia to Sign Contract for China Made Warships.updated

China Commences Building Second Littoral Warship For Malaysia

Malaysia, China exploring radar and missile system in Johor

http://www.defenseworld.net/news/18...Mission_Ship_Configuration_For_Malaysian_Navy

This is a constitutional task of the honorable defence minsiter.

#JustSaying

Try not put high hope JF-17 on Malaysia Airforce (RMAF) LCA project.
Main objective is to to compare to upgrade RMAF Hawk 108/208 or replace to new aircraft, also to replace MB-339AM, BAE is push to upgrade RMAF or early news said offer if buying EFT under MRCA project than will get Hawk upgrade for free。 RMAF Hawk 108/208 already 25 years. and crash 9 from total 28 unit. RMAF seems a bit confident issue on Hawk. Leonardo push replace MB-339AM/Hawk 108/208 with M-346.
Well both M-346/FA-50 have LCA/LIFT (Lead-In Fighter Training) configuration option.
JF-17 should be pure Light fighter. not sure have LIFT version.
on Price FA30/M-346 price will be around USD 28-30 million each,
so what price JF-17 block 3 will be? i guest usd 35-40 million each..
RMAF have experiance repairing F404 engine via F18D, and RD33 via Mig29. i believe F404 will much reliable/long lifespan than RD33 lifespan in JF-17, it about 2000 hours? because RMAF Mig29 RD33 only have about 2000 hours lifespan.

https://www.janes.com/article/86017/malaysia-issues-rfi-for-kai-s-fa-50-light-fighter
https://www.janes.com/article/86182/leonardo-positions-for-malaysian-light-fighter-programme

Based on those facts, you are right.

However if we offer joint production and ToT, then we tilt the balance.
Malaysian engineers will be at home in Kamra, working on their own jets.

Let me answer 1, 2, 4 - all 3 is same, contract sign in 2017 during Ex-Malaysia Government which have super close relationship which China Gov. initially plan for 18 unit, but first phase only 4 unit, so contract with china Wuhan shipyard only 4 unit. remaining unit will see performance/quality of first 4 unit after operation. No. 3 is fake news.
And after election in may 2018, opposition won election and the new Gov which now is "un-friendy" to China government , cancel many china company contract, stop many ongoing project. they accuse China take over Malaysia during election because many contract award to China during ex-government .
so do you think "new" Malaysia government will buy China weapon ?

Last edited:
Let me answer 1, 2, 4 - all 3 is same, contract sign in 2017 during Ex-Malaysia Government which have super close relationship which China Gov. initially plan for 18 unit, but first phase only 4 unit, so contract with china Wuhan shipyard only 4 unit. remaining unit will see performance/quality of first 4 unit after operation. No. 3 is fake news.
And after election in may 2018, opposition win election and the new Gov which now is "un-friendy" to China government , cancel many china company contract, stop many ongoing project. they accuse China take over Malaysia during election because many contract award to China during ex-government .
so do you think "new" Malaysia government will buy China weapon ?
I don't know. Malaysia doesn't matter to China. i just want to reiterate one fact. The arms trade is complex and changeable. it's lost because of politics. it also exists because of politics. the most typical example is... Vietnam abandoned Chinese weapons and Thailand imported Chinese weapons on a large scale. In the 1970s.... Including the present Philippines, Indonesia.

What? Is Malaysia friendly to China? Is Malaysia unfriendly to China?

Oh. thanks.

@ahmadnawaz22

I don't know. Malaysia doesn't matter to China. i just want to reiterate one fact. The arms trade is complex and changeable. it's lost because of politics. it also exists because of politics. the most typical example is... Vietnam abandoned Chinese weapons and Thailand imported Chinese weapons on a large scale. In the 1970s.... Including the present Philippines, Indonesia.
What? Is Malaysia friendly to China? Is Malaysia unfriendly to China?
@ahmadnawaz22

military procurement can't run away from political specially in Malaysia political is big influence.

Last edited:
I wish we sale few dozens jf17 BlockII fighters to Malaysia . We should send good sales team to make successful deal.

To admit I do not want to start a new thread, but if this is the case and especially after the latest success, why then this??

http://www.defenseworld.net/news/24508/Pakistani_JF_17_not_to_Participate_in_LIMA_2019#.XJSHRmdYbcu

The Chinese-Pakistani JF-17 fighter jet, in contention of Malaysia’s Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) project along with India’s Tejas will not be participating in the Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace (LIMA) to be held in Malaysia next week.

According to the official list of participating aircraft released by the organizers, the JF-17 will not be present in the static and flying displays. The Tejas, however is listed in the flying display along with the Russian YAK-130, another Malaysian LCA project contender.

The absence of the Pakistani aircraft, thought a key contender for the Malaysian LCA procurement, has surprised LIMA watchers. The Malaysian air force chief, Affendi Buang, who had visited the IDEAS show in Karachi in November had extended an invitation to the Pakistani air force to demonstrate its aircraft at LIMA.

However, a Malaysian source told defenseworld.net that the reason for the Pakistani no show could be that the aircraft is expected to be demonstrated on the occasion of the Pakistani National Day on March 23 where the Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohammed is the chief guest.

To admit the last sentence - participation on the Pakistani National Day on March 23 - is a lame excuse. If they want to export it, it is surely doable to participate at LIMA and the Pakistani National Day.

To admit I do not want to start a new thread, but if this is the case and especially after the latest success, why then this??

http://www.defenseworld.net/news/24508/Pakistani_JF_17_not_to_Participate_in_LIMA_2019#.XJSHRmdYbcu

To admit the last sentence - participation on the Pakistani National Day on March 23 - is a lame excuse. If they want to export it, it is surely doable to participate at LIMA and the Pakistani National Day.
This 'excuse' which you are referring came form Malaysian source not from Pakistan ....

Secondly you know that situation of India Pakistan is still tense and in this situation sending men and assets consisting of many other support element like refuelling aircraft and cargo plane will be an unwanted and unnecessary burden on PAF, keep in mind all the staff and pilots of JF-17 and support elements who represent PAC and PAF in airshows around the world are all part of PAF's active and operational elements.

Additionally another possible reason could be the route to Malaysia using Sri Lanka as stopover which in my opinion PAF would like to avoid in this situation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom