What's new

Army to get 44 MBT-2000 tanks

^^ i will be a Grandfather with 3 working kids when Leo "might" come up for discussion in BD Army...:cheesy:

Cheers!!!

Agreed. But i did see in BDMillitary picture of an army personnel with an UAV. It was small, but they do mention its an UAV. Dont know much about it.

In Spite of choppers being important, our stock of F-7B can take up close air support role along with being used as interceptors.

What choppers would you suggest anyway?

Cheers!!!

I am not sure if our army operates any UAVs. But anyways, a good UAV with a good sensor package is very important in any modern battle field scenario.

Why do you think the PLA are rushing toward UAV development? The USA already operates state of the art UAVs. They are great for scouting, and often hard to spot by the enemy.

F-7 is a fighter, jets going over 900 mph are limited. Combat helicopters can fly low, and avoid too much exposure to radar, given that they have the right avionics and sensor packages. Similar to the Longbow Apache.

They can also be equipped with good sensor equipment such that our porous borders can be better protected. Currently, the India-Bangladesh border has all sorts of shenanigans going on. They are:
1. Piracy.
2. Smuggling.
3. Drug trafficking.
4. Human trafficking.
5. Armed foreign groups such as ULAF.
6. Possibility of terrorists.

While I commend that there are efforts by our armed forces to resolve these issues, I still think more needs to be done for the sake of security, and that the Indians have less to about. That's when right equipment comes to mind.

What attack helicopter? I personally like the MI-28. It looks mean and it is pretty advanced ;)

MiL+Mi-28NE_Attack_Helicopter.jpg

I hope they get some 'real' military choppers.

If your airspace is wide open, then those attack helis will be a walking duck in front of MKI.. You can even take them down with shouldier fired missiles. Even RPGs are effectibve.

We seriously need some Egles in the sky not some ducks..
Just my 2 cents.

Singapore's Leo tanks.

Why do you worry about weight??

Look at this heavy leo beat lighter T-72. Its fine for your terrain.

What do BD think about leopards?:azn:

Ah, I forgot that Singapore operates the Leo 2.

I was thinking of countries like Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia. Singapore hardly comes to my mind when it comes to military :lol:

The Leopards...what can I say. The Germans make the best tanks in the world after all :D

BD can afford to spend billions of dollars on fighter aircraft, ships and attack helicopters right now. The issue is that the country has around 30% of the population that still do not have enough to eat each and every day. In the absence of an immediate military threat they have decided to focus money on poverty allevation rather than a massive arms shopping spree. Big ticket items like submarines, frigates, fighters and attack helicopters will come but we will just have to wait a bit longer.

BD can afford to spend billions of dollars on fighter aircraft, ships and attack helicopters right now. The issue is that the country has around 30% of the population that still do not have enough to eat each and every day. In the absence of an immediate military threat they have decided to focus money on poverty allevation rather than a massive arms shopping spree. Big ticket items like submarines, frigates, fighters and attack helicopters will come but we will just have to wait a bit longer.

Well govt already in shopping spree as the economy is doing great and some extra penny could be spared. You will see those goodies sooner than later.

If your airspace is wide open, then those attack helis will be a walking duck in front of MKI.. You can even take them down with shouldier fired missiles. Even RPGs are effectibve.

Just my 2 cents.

BD needs advanced attack helis to cope with smugglers, drug dealers , illegal border entry , patrolling , search and rescue ops . But why would it need a dedicated air superiority fighter close to MKI's ...like Migs 29's /35's etc ?

Which enemy does it face who is transgressing into BD air space , conducting raids etc ?

here is a video about al-khalid.
the tank bangladesh is getting will have the same engine and so the mobility will be similar to al-khalid.
and some of the components will be same, and so i think it would be a very informative video for all the members intrested in this tank''s capability!

NOTE - THE VIDEO REPEATS AFTER 4:40s!

Last edited by a moderator:

Just my 2 cents.

Achieving a secured airspace is a first priority in warfare but, that wasn't what I was talking about. Not into an arms race with India or anything.

Its not easy to shoot down a moving air target with an RPG, almost impossible, unless they are up close. There were cases that Soviet MI-24s survive stinger missile hits, or even use counter measures during the war in Afghanistan. They counted 563 launches and 89 hits with 18 aircraft totaled. And Stinger was NOT radar guided. This can similarly apply to other shoulder-fired SAMs.

Explain how the Apaches took out so many Iraqi tanks during the Gulf War? Even the Syrian helicopter gunships were effective against Israeli tanks during the Arab Israeli wars. Explain? Those Indian MI-35s are pretty decent for UN peacekeeping, and an important component. Explain?

BD needs advanced attack helis to cope with smugglers, drug dealers , illegal border entry , patrolling , search and rescue ops . But why would it need a dedicated air superiority fighter close to MKI's ...like Migs 29's /35's etc ?

Which enemy does it face who is transgressing into BD air space , conducting raids etc ?

^^^This...

Well govt already in shopping spree as the economy is doing great and some extra penny could be spared. You will see those goodies sooner than later.

Let me clarify as my post was not worded correctly...

Yes certain big ticket items like frigates and fighter aircraft are likely to be inducted in the next few years. What we are unlikely to see is a huge purchases that takes in all areas that would also include submarines,attack helicopters and long range SAMs as the Russian S-300 series all at once. It is likely to be staggered over the decade.

You are correct that BD is spending more than ever on the military as the economy is growing very strongly and there is more money than ever before, however BD military spending will still not be at the level of say Pakistan. What we may see is that during this decade BD will purchase all major items as mentioned but the numbers may be limited, compared to a comparable economy like Pakistan. It is hard to see BD purchasing more than 100 fighters, 3-4 submarines and 6 or so frigates in the medium term.

Now as BD economy hopefully grows fast into the next decade then all bets are likely to be off as then BD will look to at least match Pakistan in a conventional sense. Of course, there are too many variables there so we do not know how that scenario may turn out.

Achieving a secured airspace is a first priority in warfare but, that wasn't what I was talking about. Not into an arms race with India or anything.

Agreed
Its not easy to shoot down a moving air target with an RPG, almost impossible, unless they are up close. There were cases that Soviet MI-24s survive stinger missile hits, or even use counter measures during the war in Afghanistan. They counted 563 launches and 89 hits with 18 aircraft totaled. And Stinger was NOT radar guided. This can similarly apply to other shoulder-fired SAMs.

taking out 89 out of 563, you think a low number? Let alone with stringer? NO they are heat seaking missiles not radar guided.

Explain how the Apaches took out so many Iraqi tanks during the Gulf War? Even the Syrian helicopter gunships were effective against Israeli tanks during the Arab Israeli wars. Explain? Those Indian MI-35s are pretty decent for UN peacekeeping, and an important component. Explain?

Sure. Because of the fire power of the allied forces. There were nothinhg against those hellis.

^^^This...

Attack hellis against smugglers and pirates???? something new to me. Mosha marte Kaman daga ar ki.. LOL

^^^This...

The latest Gunships use all sorts of measures like stealth to defeat radar , HMTS , EWS , anti tank missiles , Sidewinders , Hellfires , Stingers and a host of other anti-tank and anti - ground even anti-aircraft armaments. Capability wise they are more than enough for threat perceptions .and cost wise to cover the entire border for constant patrol , about 24 helis with a price tag of 40-50 million each would be 1.2 billion ...at that price you get maybe half a dozen fighters , which will be useless for intensive ground patrol , useless for any sort of close -in operations ( anti-narcotics , counter-terrorism , maritime interception, or other special ops ).

Agreed

taking out 89 out of 563, you think a low number? Let alone with stringer? NO they are heat seaking missiles not radar guided.

Sure. Because of the fire power of the allied forces. There were nothinhg against those hellis.

Attack hellis against smugglers and pirates???? something new to me. Mosha marte Kaman daga ar ki.. LOL

The Soviet MI-24 story in Afghanistan is a fact by the way. They are very tough choppers. Even nicknamed 'flying tank'. Please, look it up. Don't let Hollywood fool ya. I know stingers are heat seeking.

Don't underestimate pirates, smugglers and the like in the Indo-Bangla. This maybe new to you, but they not mosquitoes. They can be even better armed and organized than the Bangladesh security forces. No laughing matter - believe me.

Back
Top Bottom