What's new

Army to get 44 MBT-2000 tanks

the link you posted says we have 24 cobra!

Yes...thats my point...!

Initially we got 7 for testing...and that went to the police...the remaining that came went to BDR, as there was always a plan to buy more.

Cheers!!!

p1364740.jpg

with a large column of 1300+ apc and light tank just wondering we should invite turkey to install CLAW like rct with chinese 8km range anti tank missile that will create night mare for any invader.

BD should seriously consider modern light tanks. They are very important as far mobility goes in our country's terrain. Notice that not a single South East Asian nation operates tanks over 45 tonnes. That is why Royal Thai Army generals are quite adamant about the Stingray light tank.

Stingray_Light_Tank.jpg

Source: Stingray Dynamics "Stingray III" Light Tank

Light tanks are cheap and very easy to maintain. Just served the Stingray as an example.

Zabanya,

The selection of a tank depends on the ground pressure that the area where it is designed to operate can bear. This is most important for riverine terrain since waterlogging, or soft ground will bog a heavy tank down.

A bogged down tank is the easiest target.

A moving tank is the element that give a tank it survivability.

Then comes the issue of Mobility, Firepower and Safety.

Mobility requires a powerful engine, Firepower requires heavier gun and also longer since one has to cater for the recoil and for Safety you require thicker armour and other layers. In short, the perfect combination makes it heavier and heavier.

Then there is the issue of bridge classification. The bridges and the roads will have to be so designed that they can take the weight and width of the tank. It means all bridges in the country or area of anticipated operation, must be robust and wide enough to take on heavier tanks. If tanks move only cross country, then the wear and tear is faster and the fuel consumption becomes heavy. If the fuel consumption becomes heavy, in a mobile battle it will cause tactical pauses, which are not acceptable at a critical juncture of battle and then the replenishment has to be near too, increasing the logistic tail and making it vulnerable.

There are many other issues, including tank transporters and rakes.

In the 1971 War, even the light PT 76 bogged down making it easy target!

It's a mug's game balancing and juggling the parameters to arrive at an acceptable tank and it is never still the best option!

Tiki,

Good analysis. Do you think a 48 tonne tank is a little too heavy for Bangladeshi terrain? Its too heavy in my opinion. I have not seen a single South East Asian nation operating a tank that heavy :blink:

Well, hope the BD army knows what its doing :P

well MBT-2000 is fairly light when compared to other modern tanks, and it has everything that is mentioned in above post!
it has a good power to weight ratio, good safety, and good fire power!

YouTube - Bangladesh Military APC

No wonder why BD bought so many BTR-80.

Its perfect for our terrain

Yap bro...watched this earlier...! A good video.

As it shows its mobility and lightness are quite eye-catching, i think they are bought over 1000+ mainly to aid our Infantry Regiment, EB Regiment and the new squad that was on its way to training ie. jungle warfare.

Moreover, this is a very good vehicle to remove wounded personnel and getting ammunition.

Cheers!!!

---------- Post added at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 AM ----------

Try this...Our T-55 tank during firing...

Cheers!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever vehicles they are buying, they seriously need some dedicated attack helicopters and UAVs.

Close air support and access to quick information are important. Attack helicopters can be great for taking out tanks at great distances.

Tiki,

Good analysis. Do you think a 48 tonne tank is a little too heavy for Bangladeshi terrain? Its too heavy in my opinion. I have not seen a single South East Asian nation operating a tank that heavy :blink:

There sure has been maneuverability tests and you know very well that our army does not rush into any procurement. They must have thought, tested, implemented and finally purchased.

Cheers!!!

Whatever vehicles they are buying, they seriously need some dedicated attack helicopters and UAVs.

Agreed. But i did see in BDMillitary picture of an army personnel with an UAV. It was small, but they do mention its an UAV. Dont know much about it.

Close air support and access to quick information are important. Attack helicopters can be great for taking out tanks at great distances.

In Spite of choppers being important, our stock of F-7B can take up close air support role along with being used as interceptors.

What choppers would you suggest anyway?

Cheers!!!

Tiki,

20100733singapore_tanks_walking_miniature_schnauze  r_toapayohvets.jpg

21914d1281229491-singapore-army-26_105638_8cba1927f443752-1-.jpg

Singapore's Leo tanks.

Why do you worry about weight??

Look at this heavy leo beat lighter T-72. Its fine for your terrain.

What do BD think about leopards?:azn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom