What's new

Army ready to forgo Military Hardware for Economic Boost

you ppl are really hatefull only forgen workers of pakistan send back 7bn$ yearly but who learn blinds.

Countering that with facts sure would have been appreciated.

Btw, why do you bring all Indian members in the scene, when you could have tackled him alone?

When i said that reading the budget would have been better, then there is no other fact to bring into this discussion. Budget is one big document, i can't spoon feed here, those who are interested other then just trolling would better read it, but those who wish to troll, the above kind of comments come from them.

And this is not the first Indian member, every member who has spoken on this subject, says the same thing. that is why i said Indian members, as they have been fed this thing that Pakistan has no money or from where will it bring money.

When i said that reading the budget would have been better, then there is no other fact to bring into this discussion. Budget is one big document, i can't spoon feed here, those who are interested other then just trolling would better read it, but those who wish to troll, the above kind of comments come from them.

And this is not the first Indian member, every member who has spoken on this subject, says the same thing. that is why i said Indian members, as they have been fed this thing that Pakistan has no money or from where will it bring money.

Taimi,
Then please address those members. Generalizing Indians for some/many Indian posters is not appreciated. There are troll on both sides.

Thank You.

(Rest in PM please).

dear friends - the equipment promised by the previous admn has not been delivered as yet - Growler posted the list yesterday - Gen. Kiyani's message to the US was simple

pls expidite the delivery
pls pay the CSF funds

the general knows that the new wish list will only come into effect from 2012-13 at the earliest - so letting them know that in the interim to focus on the economy is a good step.

Well, i think its a good move that he is putting economy first. aside from the obvious benefits, it will also send a message to taliban that despite their efforts, pakistan economy is ready to bounce back.

also, civillians will see the benefit this time. With military equipment, the common man doesn't see the benefits of the war, but feels the brunt of it. They feel that this is not their war.

With economic development they will feel that the government is doing something, and that this war is their war, since they will get compensated for their suffering.

just my 2 cents

I think our politicians should take Gen. Kiyani as example. He is an army Gen and he'll retire after sometime. But still he is doing all he can not for the army only but for teh country and its people.

Thats the misfortune of our subcontinent. Educated, literate and intelligent People like Kayani (It certainly seems like that at this point) do the service and go away and our crop of idiots keep occupying the seats of power.

i definitely feels something fishy here...why the army suddenly changed its traditional approach of military first and the rest are next(economy)..

even your army has gone with its own wish list of hardwares to demand from the US.. and also your civilian government went with its own list of many power and infrastructure projects close to $ 600m...

the obvious question what the US must have asked your COAS is that on the one hand pakistan is demanding aid for power projects and on the other you want modern hardwares which will not have any use against talibans, from where pakistan has got enough $$$ to purchase those new hardwares..if at all you have the money purchase the hardwares woth billions, why dont you guys spend that on your power projects?

one thing is sure, your COAS has had very very bad time in the US...allah knows what kind of interaction senators kerry and lugar have had with your
CAOS and that forced him to take the U turn

Get your facts straight. The military has never put itself above Pakistan's economy and financial needs. Military needs have to be funded for Pakistan's survival, however whenever the military feels that it has sufficient capabilities in place, they hold off. Secondly, whenever the military has taken over Pakistan, their first and foremost priority is fixing the economy of Pakistan and in all of the instances of military taking over, the economy has improved markedly (most recent example of GDP doubling in the times of Musharraf, and we can go back to Zia and Ayub Khan's periods as well).

Army is part of of the Pakistani nation. They are not a breed different or segregated from our nation as many Indians like to portray just to put down the Army.

When the country is on sound fiscal footing, then the military can also get its modernization. Without a good economic base, none of this is possible. These are the basics that are taught to cadet officers starting from the PMA/Risalpur/PNA (those who take economics etc.) all the way out to National Defence University.

All of your points about our Chief having a rough time is wishful thinking and dreaming on your part. The facts will come forward over the coming months and years. Pakistan's interests in Afghanistan have been understood. This is the single biggest achievement on the part of team Pakistan. The rest, such as military equipment is all small matters since all that Pakistan and US have talked about are things related to CI operations and nothing major. Secondly, we would never send our Army Chief if we know that he would be grilled for no reason. The diplomats feel out the temperature and the welcome that awaits. If its not to their liking then people such as the CoAS of Pakistan would not go.

The only U-turn that is coming up is for the Indian plans in Afghanistan.

Last edited:
Thats the misfortune of our subcontinent. Educated, literate and intelligent People like Kayani (It certainly seems like that at this point) do the service and go away and our crop of idiots keep occupying the seats of power.

This is what tends to happen in feudal societies. Eventually Pakistan will also get over it, but in the meantime, my fellow citizens need to see this so they learn to make better choices about putting the right type of people in government office.

This is what tends to happen in feudal societies. Eventually Pakistan will also get over it,.
how u think this is going to happen...i dont see this in near future.

but in the meantime, my fellow citizens need to see this so they learn to make better choices about putting the right type of people in government office
they say "an empty stomach is an empty mind"+ with present level of education i doubt most of our fellow citizens may b able to make rational decisions.:undecided:

how u think this is going to happen...i dont see this in near future.

they say "an empty stomach is an empty mind"+ with present level of education i doubt most of our fellow citizens may b able to make rational decisions.:undecided:

"Eventually" could be a very long time..I hope not but its quite possible.

“Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.”
- Edmund Burke

It is as if Edmund Burke was addressing the Pakistani people. :cry:

On the issue of education, we are in the same boat as the rest of South Asia (barring Sri Lanka). If others can make it work, so can we.

Everyone agrees on strategic direction of country: Kayani

Friday, March 26, 2010

By Sami Abraham

washington: Pakistan Army chief Gen Kayani has said he has told US lawmakers that if the US helps correct Pakistan’s economic and power issues, we would not require anything else and would be able to take care of ourselves.

Speaking to the Pakistani community here at the Pakistan embassy on Thursday, Gen Kayani said: “Today Pakistan is being respected and listened to because the nation has fully backed the Pakistani armed forces”.

Kayani said that he told Senator Kerry that if the United States helps fix Pakistan’s power crisis and economy ‘“we are willing to forego our needs”. He said the Pakistan Army’s role was to implement the decisions taken by the political government. That was why he told the prime minister three days after he assumed office that “take a decision and we would implement it”.

Gen Kayani said we made it clear that Pakistan’s role would not only be of delivering. Pakistan has to be relevant and given equal importance” he added. He said no one should try to drive a wedge between the interests of the Pakistan Army and others because we have one priority which is Pakistan. He said today every one including the Pakistan Army agrees on the strategic direction of the country against terrorism.

Everyone agrees on strategic direction of country: Kayani

The US knows what it has to do. Kayani probably made it clear he is not gonna keep repeating his needs on the war on terror. Both the US and Paksitan are in the same boat they built. They can keep fueling the terrorist with new blood by bombing the hell out of them for the next two decades or let someone who knows what they are doing take care of this problem. Which means get the indian cheque book out of afghanistan and give them the means to fight it off. Kayani seems to be content on either senarios with this statement. So what probably happened in closed doors was that the US said they will mull over the list a little longer as a delaying tactic and Kayani probably responded to concentrate on the other issues and not worry about the military part at all. Its not his trillion dollars in the drain. Pretty much all speculation on my part or maybe im reading too much into it.

Last edited:
Dont worry the Pakistanis are have not played their trump cards the Americans will be falling over each other to accede to Pakistani requests military or otherwise because we have the trump card the Americans can not do anything without Pakistan in Afganistan.

What the hell is the problem with Indian members ??? Have you ever studied the Budget of Pakistan ?? If not then keep it shut and no need to bring out the stupid comments about money. Study it first, and then see how much room is available.

And what the hell is 125M US$ gonna do in the power sector ?? Nothing whatsoever.

This is a political statement for the intended audience.

I am sorry to say this but it does not reflect a moderator to give such generalized comment. If he is uninformed you could correct him, is this not the purpose of forums. Also this is not the first time you have used Indians so to speake. Does Pakistani not post rubbish, why then you not genralize then.

Back
Top Bottom