What's new

Army hunts for lethal assault rifle, junks DRDO's Excalibur!!

You're saying this because you do not know how some of our Generals work!!You know about the Arjun, the so called 59 ton lumbering thingy, well it was supposed to be a 45 or so ton design till the Pakistanis seriously began to consider buying of M1 Abrams and the Generals panicked!!

Not entirely true. Pakistan had rejected M1A in 1987 in comparative trials.

Arjun was a legacy of centurion concept wherein the heavy weight tank had been operated by India previously. T90s were inducted due to T-80s being purchased by Pakistan and due to GSQR undergoing significant enhancing in new of the lessons of the First Gulf War wherein even the US had to up armour their M1As to include a DU liner to enhance its armour as it was appreciated that the T-72M of Iraq Republican Guards would theoretically be able to penetrate it with a KE penetrator.

The Arjun underwent redesigning and upgradation and this was about the time when India didn't have funds even to run its tanks and most were mothballed (90s and the economic crisis of the decade if you remember) and by 1999 we were under sanctions due to Shakti-2.

Arjun came too late. Simple

Its an excellent tank now .....

When are they going to junk LCA?

Firstly, off topic, please do not derail the thread.

Secondly, not happening. There is a deliberate thrust to push LCA as Merkava had been pushed on to IDF.

Army and its love for foreign Mall :tsk:
Such an awesome gun.. But they won't get any commission for this:
1-Multi-Calibre-Individual-Weapon-System.jpg

Photo Op is not needed. Have you test fired this weapon?

And compared it to say M4 or a Tavor?

So the army won't get a new rifles in this decade.
As much as we love them and what they are doing for the country there should be a proper evaluation of the decision makers in the top brass. They are just too incompetent for making decisions for the army.

They don't make the decision .. L1 makes it wherein some clerk decides it!!! Not even a bureaucrat!

You know to get a service aircraft to fly a service personnel's mortal remains after duty hours at MOD an officer of armed forces has to run to the clerk there to get an approval?

OFB only produced a few thousand 9mm variants of the micro Tavor , which by the way are simply rusting in the storage!!The CAPF guys absolutely hate this thing.
India's paramilitary and counter-insurgency CRPF ordered 12000 Micro Tavor (X95) rifles (designation X95), with the rifles entering service in early 2011. Following the use of the weapon by Indian forces fighting the insurgency in Kashmir, CRPF commanders have stated that the X95 is a more effective assault rifle than the AKM, due to its small size, power, longer range and lighter weight.

I do not see any bull pup rifle in this picture, and besides, it's the Army we are talking about, don't bring the Navy in here.
I can see them though.

Well, even the muricans, who happened to be the biggest proponent of adopting smaller and faster caliber cartridges and virtually forced the NATO to do the same are now frantically pulling out their old M 14s from their reserves and refurbishing them to be distributed among the troops in Afghanistan.So about the idea being stupid..............
Point being, AKM's are already in use for that purpose.

Not that widely to be honest, it's used exclusively by the Paras only!!
About time for that "exclusiveness" to expand.

Corrupt army

Comment in poor taste.

Please do not generalise.

OFB only produced a few thousand 9mm variants of the micro Tavor , which by the way are simply rusting in the storage!!The CAPF guys absolutely hate this thing

Says who? Why, then, tell me are INSAS being backloaded by them and increasingly x-95s even for BSF in frontline?

so is an assult rifle for just feel good for gun enthusiasts of to stop enemy at ranges where he cant touch you :azn:

as for high barrel rise its not something that cant be tackelled as it just needs a little time getting used to as its most weight is at the back and in full auto barrel rises but that can be controlled with a front handle grip below the barrel .

Irrespective of whatever be the caliber, a two round controlled fire is what one needs to practice as there is hardly any rise and splay of fire at two rounds.

At 100 yards, Insas sucks in 3 round, and I am a fan of INSAS for range firing as it is very accurate and easy to handle

But if one is to talk about use in CQB, one would rather carry a stick than INSAS!

Comment in poor taste.

Please do not generalise.

Says who? Why, then, tell me are INSAS being backloaded by them and increasingly x-95s even for BSF in frontline?

Irrespective of whatever be the caliber, a two round controlled fire is what one needs to practice as there is hardly any rise and splay of fire at two rounds.

At 100 yards, Insas sucks in 3 round, and I am a fan of INSAS for range firing as it is very accurate and easy to handle

But if one is to talk about use in CQB, one would rather carry a stick than INSAS!
in short bullpup is the future and indian army will eventually have it and thats just a matter of time cause other than so called "trigger feel" everything else works better with a billpup assult rifle as itseasier to maintane and clean and its still lighter , more compact , has a bigger length barrel yet very small to hide or caemoflage and works as good in CQB as its at ease for normal long distance firing

ba33dd008d2f18d1677078015cd2d9fd.jpg

thats right why did they switch first from 7.62 cal to 5.56 in the first place when they were not satisfied or say now they want to make money or have they forgotten how its difficult to control a 7.62X51 in full auto

i still beleve a bullpup version of excalibur chambered with 7.62X51 can do the job just fine

LOL indian army !

They should have gone for 7.62 cal from the beginning . In fact our legacy infantry rifles L1A1 Self-Loading Rifle was 7.62 cal . pakstan also uses 7.62 cal .

But no , somebody saw Americans are using 5.56 cal M16 , so they demanded an indigenous 5.56 cal , so DRDO gave them INSAS which they all hates .

Now they want to go back to 7.62 cal again . Morons .
Anyway i think indian army should get a 7.62 cal rifle but it should be an indigenous product rather than phoren maal .

LOL indian army !

They should have gone for 7.62 cal from the beginning . In fact our legacy infantry rifles L1A1 Self-Loading Rifle was 7.62 cal . pakstan also uses 7.62 cal .

But no , somebody saw Americans are using 5.56 cal M16 , so they demanded an indigenous 5.56 cal , so DRDO gave them INSAS which they all hates .

that happens when you know no one gonna challenge your wisdom or so they think even the top brass is clueless what they want the only option is a inter changable multi cal bullpup assault rifle with at least three piccatenni rails and a Chrome Vanadium plated 18" or 22" barrel which will still be shorter than M16 but with almost twice the range

At the end of the day nothing beats the power and impact of 7.62x51mm rifle .
Thats why AKs are still the favorite of indian Army men even cops fighting insurgents .

Also when pakistan army carries 7.62x51mm rifles , it give complex to indian infantry men . You know these things does matter .

Thats why AKs are still the favorite of indian Army men even cops fighting insurgents .
thats right imagine a bullpup with 7.62X51 cal and 22" barrel against 13" barrel of AK-47 and think of accuracy and stopping power as even with 22" barrel a bullpup version of excalibur will still be shorter that a regular AK-47

Where did I say that they love INSAS??And thus says CAPF guys, the CRPF to be exact, the ones engaged in counter insurgency operations against the Naxalites do not like their 9mm chambered micro tavors because of its over heating and the bullets lacking range.They swear by their AKMs anytime and every time.

Irrespective of whatever be the caliber, a two round controlled fire is what one needs to practice as there is hardly any rise and splay of fire at two rounds./QUOTE]
Couldn't have agreed more.I just wonder why people make such big of a fuss about INSAS lacking a full auto mode when the average grunt is mostly trained to take well aimed shots in semi automatic mode.
Can you please tell me why did our drill instructors in the NCC never let us change the settings of the firing selector??Each and every time we went to the range, the instruction was and I'm paraphrasing "eik goli eik dushman", single shots only',why??Do you have any clue??
PS - I've fired both the SLR and INSAS and frankly, being a telephone post at that time, the INSAS felt like a charm to fire, in that at least it didn't **** up my shoulder.And all these talks about frequent break downs and stoppages, why didn't we encounter such problems I wonder, not the extent the problem is reported to be at least!!
Now you are exaggerating this just for dramatic effects!!

AKs do not use 7.62X51 NATO cartridges, you know that, right??

Also when pakistan army carries 7.62x51mm rifles , it give complex to indian infantry men . You know these things does matter .
Like i said, why did they even decide to replace the SLRs which had been working just fine I wonder.

India's paramilitary and counter-insurgency CRPF ordered 12000 Micro Tavor (X95) rifles (designation X95), with the rifles entering service in early 2011. Following the use of the weapon by Indian forces fighting the insurgency in Kashmir, CRPF commanders have stated that the X95 is a more effective assault rifle than the AKM, due to its small size, power, longer range and lighter weight.

Idiot of the highest order you are!!The ones you are talking about are the 5.56 mm variants you moron and those guns were not manufactured by the OFB but were bought off the shelf at more than 200k rupees a pop!!I was talking about the 9mm variant, the micro tavor also known as Zittara which had been produced by the OFB for CRPF and which are now raking up dust on them in the storage!!Got it??

I can see them though.
The FN P90 is not really 'bullpup' design in a true sense because its mag-well is not situated behind the grip but the mags are mounted above the barrel.

Point being, AKM's are already in use for that purpose.
The point being, you are among the most ignorant folks around!!Otherwise you wouldn't have made such a silly and idiotic comment like this.

About time for that "exclusiveness" to expand.
Go preach it to the Army top brass, after all, we ain't the ones who gonna use em, you and I.

LOL indian army !

Anyway i think indian army should get a 7.62 cal rifle but it should be an indigenous product rather than phoren maal .

The rationale behind 5.56 was sensible. But evolution of our security challenges took place at a rate faster than most nations can change gear to meet them.

The rationale behind reintroduction of 7.62 is the recognition that a conventional war is unlikely and we need a weapon for the asymmetric warfare that is the new norm.

LIC environment will exist for decades to come. We require a weapon which address both are long term and short term requirements, with LIC being the long term.

Where did I say that they love INSAS??And thus says CAPF guys, the CRPF to be exact, the ones engaged in counter insurgency operations against the Naxalites do not like their 9mm chambered micro tavors because of its over heating and the bullets lacking range.They swear by their AKMs anytime and every time.

Read the quoted post as a reply to your post claiming rusting of weapons in storage of CAPFs. Which was inaccurate. The mainstay INSAS is being phased out with no new orders by CAPFs. Please join this statement with the overall context. Didn't say you said they love INSAS.

Regarding your experience of firing in NCC(?),at range it sounds great ek goli ek Dushman. That is to try and make the firer improve grouping. It has nothing to do with any practical application.

As for why single round, again for firing practice. But fire on burst mode is practiced too, and over sustained fire invariably the pin broke. Check at your end. In CI you won't have the luxury of ek goli ek dushman would you?

Good you have fired both FN FAL L1A1 and INSAS. I am sure you would have fired the Bren LMG and INSAS too. In terms of accuracy the latter is a great weapon.

About CAPFs in anti Maoist operations liking AKMs, in valley same people like x95s. Totally dependent on individual and training. Quality is issue in INSAS. Hence my analogy of a stick

Who told you that?

The rationale behind 5.56 was sensible. But evolution of our security challenges took place at a rate faster than most nations can change gear to meet them.The rationale behind reintroduction of 7.62 is the recognition that a conventional war is unlikely and we need a weapon for the asymmetric warfare that is the new norm.
Then don't you think that the older FALs should have been put through periodic upgrades to keep them operable when the need arises??

Read the quoted post as a reply to your post claiming rusting of weapons in storage of CAPFs. Which was inaccurate. The mainstay INSAS is being phased out with no new orders by CAPFs. Please join this statement with the overall context. Didn't say you said they love INSAS.
Yes,because as you have already pointed out, INSAS was designed for accurate fire over relatively longer distances and was never designed for such operations, especially in a dense jungle environment where more often than not shiit gets up close and personal for obvious reasons, which you're obviously aware of.
But whose fault is that??Definitely not that of the developers??I mean they are just technocrats, they have got next to no reckoning about field operations and neither they form the GSQR, they just do what's asked of them.It's the Army which had set forward the requirements and it's they who should have anticipated all possible scenarios and problems they might have to face in the future.I'm really sorry to say this but it just shows their shortsightedness and inability to plan ahead, no tow way to put it into perspective.
Regarding your experience of firing in NCC(?),
Yep,NCC, I rose to the rank of a Sergeant.Yeah yeah, nothing impressive, I know, but what they say - yeah, I was never the brightest bulb on the post, especially when it came to discipline and following orders!!
at range it sounds great ek goli ek Dushman. That is to try and make the firer improve grouping. It has nothing to do with any practical application.
Yeah ok, but that's not what the "range masters" use to tell us!!They said even the army cadets were only trained to take aimed single shots only, except ofcurse the LMG and MMG operators!!
By the way, what's the maximum range our boys are trained to shoot at with their rifles without the application of scopes??I heard it's 500 yards for US Marines.Feel free not to give an answer if it's deemed to sensitive an information.
As for why single round, again for firing practice. But fire on burst mode is practiced too, and over sustained fire invariably the pin broke. Check at your end. In CI you won't have the luxury of ek goli ek dushman would you?
Of course not but still, don't you think that having a full auto setting would still be unnecessary or may be even dangerous because soldiers might go through a lot more ammo in the hit of battle and might end up getting dry in the middle of a firefight??You know like the Americans GIs in Vietnam??And besides, one can also stimulate automatic fire even in semi auto mode by successive trigger pulls??That way, the operator will get to retain a higher degree of balance and control over his shot dispersion and ammo expenditure and also properly suppress the enemy??I heard that's how the USMC and US Army has been training their men to operate in urban warfare.
Good you have fired both FN FAL L1A1 and INSAS.
And .22 Long Rifle in the beginning and then graduating to .303 and then SLR and at the end, INSAS.As you may know, only the final year cadets are given the opportunity to fire a few rounds with INSAS.
I am sure you would have fired the Bren LMG and INSAS too.
Nah man, no such luck there. :(
In terms of accuracy the latter is a great weapon.
So true, I remember some of our batch mates consistently putting their shots in really tight groupings at 100 meters, sometimes even within 1" groupings although that was somewhat rare.By the way, have you folks ever calculated MOA of INSAS 1B1??I think, it should be within 2 MOA in the hands of a shooter who has been sufficiently trained on it.

About CAPFs in anti Maoist operations liking AKMs, in valley same people like x95s. Totally dependent on individual and training.
Please try to understand the point I'm trying to make here.The X 95s you are talking about are the 5.56 chambered carbine versions, which had been bought off the shelf!!The ones I'm talking about are the SMG versions, chambered for 9mm rounds, aka the zittara which had been licensed manufactured by the OFB.The complains against them were that the blowback operation made it somewhat unstable but the most serious one was that 9mm bullets were deemed too slow and too blunt they lacked range and precision and didn't have any worthwhile effect against tangos hidden behind dense undergrowths.But as you know,the M43 rounds used in the AKMs works really good against such natural obstacles, so.
Quality is issue in INSAS. Hence my analogy of a stick.
I see.About that, I remember you saying sometimes back that the series produced version of the INSAS rifles were exactly opposite than the prototypes that were earlier shown to you people ??
So doesn't it mean that the problem is not really with the developers or even the design of the rifle itself but it has got more to do with crappy quality control on the part of the manufacturers, the OFB being the ones in this instance??
And frankly, it was the OFB who should have ensured the INSAS remains relevant with periodic upgrades, making it more ergonomic and lighter with subsequent batches by using better materials and by use of precision spot welding instead of mindlessly riveting the parts together and give a crappy finish??After all, all the production engineering data had been passed on to them by the ARDE a long time ago!!

where are they going to put their 'proud' dignity after doing that`? low tech rifle bears less of that, so they can lose face on it```but anyone with a shred of common sense would know, its LCA or any other high profile R&D projects are hoax when it is unable to make a reliable rifle in 21st century``
yeah sure .. have a nice day.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom