What's new

Army Chief Orders Probe Into Internet Execution Video

Very sad incident,proper investigations must be carried out and guilty should be punished for this,as such type of incidents will create monstrous image of Pakistani army,so these terrorists must be executed.

Of course if we follow your logic, then the Taliban are using "Divine Law" to justify their actions. How is the Major's "law" any different than those terrorists? Just because he is wearing a uniform does not absolve him of wrongful actions.
The Majors law is the very reason the Divine Law has been abolished and the constitution restored to many parts of the North West.

The Majors law is the very reason the Divine Law has been abolished and the constitution restored to many parts of the North West.

Do you see the irony of defending the illegal "Major's Law" to "restore" the Constitution, Sir? Perhaps not. After all, as you said, our land has NO law. Only terrorists, thugs and thieves, some smartly dressed, some not, some big, some small.

If the existing laws are inadequate, then the solution lies in amending them, not ignoring them.

Yup...and when COAS went to Gilani to tell him this...Gilani just laughed and changed the subject (first hand info).

Then when the fiasco of missing persons arose, DG ISI made a phone call to the PM and other officials from ISI met with the secretaries etc and urged them to make a anti-terror law, witness protection program and one more thing. The government said 'kar lain gay' but that never became reality.

Hamid MIr did a program on this a couple of weeks back.

As for the inquiry, I don't know of this incident, this is the first time I came to know of it.

So any Major can "take the law into his hands" as he pleases? Is that a correct end to this investigation?

Justice must be done. That is the whole point. Otherwise we risk alienating our people from their own Army. And nobody will be to blame for it except us.

Yeah, and when the doors of justice are knocked...the Judge asks the prosecution to bring witnesses...ab witness Waziristan kay paharon main kahan say paida karain?

Our laws are as stupid as it gets. Judges ask the Army to bring witnesses for the crimes...then the terrorists go free.

People like Adnan Rashid are kept in Bannu jail...LeJ operatives are kept in Karachi central with a laptop so they can plan attacks on judges who imprison their friends.

Why haven't we hanged any terrorist yet?

Yup...and when COAS went to Gilani to tell him this...Gilani just laughed and changed the subject (first hand info).

Then when the fiasco of missing persons arose, DG ISI made a phone call to the PM and other officials from ISI met with the secretaries etc and urged them to make a anti-terror law, witness protection program and one more thing. The government said 'kar lain gay' but that never became reality.

Hamid MIr did a program on this a couple of weeks back.

As for the inquiry, I don't know of this incident, this is the first time I came to know of it.

Yeah, and when the doors of justice are knocked...the Judge asks the prosecution to bring witnesses...ab witness Waziristan kay paharon main kahan say paida karain?

Our laws are as stupid as it gets. Judges ask the Army to bring witnesses for the crimes...then the terrorists go free.

People like Adnan Rashid are kept in Bannu jail...LeJ operatives are kept in Karachi central with a laptop so they can plan attacks on judges who imprison their friends.

Why haven't we hanged any terrorist yet?

Is it any wonder that Gen Pasha admitted that "Pakistan is a failing state" to the Abbottabad Commission? Can actual, total and abysmal failure be far off if this is the state of inaction and indifference at the highest levels of authority, both civilian and military?

What is this incident???

Can anybody recap?

There is plenty more if you Google, but here is some information to recap:

==================================

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/08/world/asia/08islamabad.html?_r=0

Pakistani Army Chief Orders Video Inquiry
By JANE PERLEZ
Published: October 7, 2010

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — The chief of the Pakistani Army said Friday that he had ordered an inquiry into an Internet video that shows men in Pakistani military uniforms executing six young men in civilian clothes.

The army chief, Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, said in a statement that a military board would conduct the investigation to determine the authenticity of the five-and-a-half-minute video, which raised concerns about unlawful killings by Pakistani soldiers supported by the United States.

General Kayani appeared to take a tough stance on extrajudicial killings, saying in the statement that “it is not expected of a professional army to engage in excesses against the people whom it is trying to guard against the scourge of terrorism.”

Violations of army rules against extrajudicial killings, he said, “will not be tolerated.” The statement was released by the Pakistani Embassy in Washington.

The graphic video showing the six young men — some of whom appeared to be teenagers, blindfolded and with their hands tied behind their backs — was initially dismissed by the army as a fake.

The American ambassador to Pakistan, Anne W. Patterson, discussed the video with General Kayani a week ago, and afterward, the Pakistani military acknowledged that it knew about the video and that it was credible, an American official said.

The video’s authenticity has not been formally determined by American officials, but retired American military officers and intelligence analysts said that it appeared to be authentic. Two retired senior Pakistani officers also said that they found the video credible. It was apparently taken in the Swat Valley, where the army opened an offensive against the Taliban last year.

The State Department spokesman, Philip J. Crowley, described the images as “horrifying” when they first emerged last week.

American law requires that the United States cut off aid to foreign militaries that are found to have committed gross violations of human rights.

That law, known as the Leahy amendment, has been applied in the past to Indonesia and Colombia, but never to a country of such strategic importance to the United States as Pakistan.

The Pakistani military has received more than $10 billion from the United States since 2001 for its cooperation in fighting militants from Al Qaeda and the Taliban based inside the country.

Senior Congressional staff members were briefed Thursday by State Department officials about reports of summary executions by the Pakistani military, the second such briefing in several months. At one point, a Congressional aide told a State Department official that the Obama administration was dragging its feet on pressing the Pakistani Army about the reported killings, according to a person present at the briefing.

The video, apparently taken covertly with a cellphone, shows the six young men being lined up near a building. A burst of gunfire erupts. The men crumple. Some groans are heard, and then a soldier moves in to shoot each body at short range.

The video has not been seen on Pakistani television or discussed in the country’s newspapers. The Ministry of Information Technology was ordered by the army to remove the video from some well-known Web sites, an American official said, but it remained available on other sites.

A version of this article appeared in print on October 8, 2010, on page A6 of the New York edition.

More here:

New Video Appears to Show Abuse of Prisoners by Pakistani Military - NYTimes.com

New Video Appears to Show Abuse of Prisoners by Pakistani Soldiers
By THE NEW YORK TIMES

Graphic video posted on YouTube in May appears to show Pakistani soldiers beating prisoners in the country’s Swat Valley region.

Days after a Web video apparently showing members of Pakistan’s military executing prisoners came to light, another video has been discovered that appears to show soldiers beating suspected militants in Pakistan’s Swat Valley.

As my colleague Jane Perlez reported on Wednesday, the execution video had already raised concerns among American officials worried about how Pakistan’s military has been conducting its battle against militants, with the financial support of the United States.

While American officials said that video appeared to be genuine, a spokesman for the Pakistani Army, Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas, initially told The Times that it had to be fake, since, “No Pakistan Army soldier or officer has been involved in activity of this sort.” But two retired Pakistani senior army officers said they believed that the video was credible.

The next day, pressed by American officials, Pakistan’s military acknowledged that the execution video was genuine, but portrayed the killings as an isolated episode.

On Friday, a person from the Swat Valley, who wanted to remain anonymous for safety concerns, told The Times that the newly discovered video of the prisoners being beaten, which was uploaded to YouTube in May, seemed to have been shot in Khawazakhela, north of the town of Mingora.

This video, which also appears to have been shot on the type of low-resolution camera commonly found in phones appears to show in graphic detail the beating and interrogation of a suspected militant.

As the beatings are administered, men dressed in Pakistani military uniforms can be heard asking the prisoner, “Are you a Talib?” Mixed in with other questions is some laughter and the suggestion “Beat him so that he knows what beating is.”

The men in uniform question the prisoner in a mix of Urdu and Pashtun, but speak among themselves in Punjabi.

Reports of human rights abuses by Pakistan’s military in the Swat Valley are not new. Last year, The Times reported from Mingora:

Two months after the Pakistani Army wrested control of the Swat Valley from Taliban militants, a new campaign of fear has taken hold, with scores, perhaps hundreds, of bodies dumped on the streets in what human rights advocates and local residents say is the work of the military.

If the two Web video clips are authentic, they would appear to support the findings of a report by the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, which claimed that extrajudicial killings by the military are common in areas under military control.

The commission reported that 282 such killings had taken place in Pakistan’s Swat Valley since the country’s military officially ended a battle for control there in 2009. The human rights report also said other sorts of abuses were taking place and warned:

Terrorism must not be resorted to defeat terrorism. The focus of the government must be on bringing terrorists to justice through legal means, with guarantees of fair trial and due process. HRCP implores the government to ensure that the actions of security forces in the region are consistent with human rights standards.

The execution video has now been removed from the Facebook page where it was posted this week but much of the footage was included in this report by Al Jazeera on Thursday:

Alleged extrajudicial killings in Pakistan - YouTube

Last year, a military officer serving in the Swat Valley during a large-scale offensive against Taliban insurgents showed The Times photographs of suspected militants who had been executed while in custody. The officer, who insisted on anonymity, also said he had video, shot on his phone, that he did not want to share. He claimed to have recorded images of the extrajudicial killings, which he called rampant, because he opposed them and was concerned that such practices would damage the army’s struggle against militancy.

Another officer, who also wanted to remain anonymous, told The Times last year that he had refused to comply with an order from his superiors to execute a group of captives suspected of being Taliban militants.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Aeronaut @nuclearpak @Oscar @Awesome @Xeric @araz @Irfan Baloch @muse

Was this inquiry ever completed? What were the conclusions?
the regular execution of shia passengers en route Gilgit Baltistan & parachiner , the murder of foreign mountaineers etc have been done by terrorists in army & paramilitary uniforms.

during Sawat operation a footage of shooting the young boys came up allegedly by armymen which looks very convincing, comprehensive, clinical (like Nazi Germans) and cold which is hard to dispel. although I must say that the killers were lousy shots and were hitting the ground instead of the supposed victims at 15 yards.

regarding inquiry and conclusion? well nothing will come out. the only possibility is that our Chief Justice will take somoto action and put Kyani behind bars
edit: the video i am referring to is in included in the post above. one loose link is the recorded sound og "agony" I doubt anyone will cry like that (as if someone has snatched an icy lolly from him) after being shot at point blank with 7.62 round

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it any wonder that Gen Pasha admitted that "Pakistan is a failing state" to the Abbottabad Commission? Can actual, total and abysmal failure be far off if this is the state of inaction and indifference at the highest levels of authority, both civilian and military?

I have relations with someone from the same organisation, wearing Red Tapes for a long time now, who says the same. With the current situation, and laws, someone who wishes to do good cannot take a step. They are limited to operations and prosecutions. I still support the Major in video, I always will until proper terror laws are established.

the regular execution of shia passengers en route Gilgit Baltistan & parachiner , the murder of foreign mountaineers etc have been done by terrorists in army & paramilitary uniforms.

during Sawat operation a footage of shooting the young boys came up allegedly by armymen which looks very convincing, comprehensive, clinical (like Nazi Germans) and cold which is hard to dispel. although I must say that the killers were lusy shots and were hitting the ground instead of the supposed victims at 15 yards.

As I posted above Sir, that execution video was admitted as being true by our Army. What does it say about where we are headed? How is this any different than what our Army did in East Pakistan towards the end?

I have relations with someone from the same organisation, wearing Red Tapes for a long time now, who says the same. With the current situation, and laws, someone who wishes to do good cannot take a step. They are limited to operations and prosecutions. I still support the Major in video, I always will until proper terror laws are established.

Please keep in mind that if you support these illegal killings by an officer of our Army, then you really lose moral grounds for selectively objecting to other similar instances carried out by other forces.

Please keep in mind that if you support these illegal killings by an officer of our Army, then you really lose moral grounds for selectively objecting to other similar instances carried out by other forces.

There is a very fine line differentiating the two forces. Over here, the men captured are caught in action while fighting the Pakistan Army. If otherwise, local Jirgas would have made a lot of hue over it.

The video of Indian Army killing is different. The country has proper anti-terror courts and laws (unlike Pakistan) and terrorists aren't issued bail (unlike Pakistan where each and every convict is allowed to go free). They killed the man after identifying him as a bearded man.

If you establish proper laws and anti-terror structure in Pakistan, then I will instantly stop supporting the extra-judicial executions.

Comparing apples and oranges. Totally different scenarios and circumstances.

There is a very fine line differentiating the two forces. Over here, the men captured are caught in action while fighting the Pakistan Army. If otherwise, local Jirgas would have made a lot of hue over it.

The video of Indian Army killing is different. The country has proper anti-terror courts and laws (unlike Pakistan) and terrorists aren't issued bail (unlike Pakistan where each and every convict is allowed to go free). They killed the man after identifying him as a bearded man.

If you establish proper laws and anti-terror structure in Pakistan, then I will instantly stop supporting the extra-judicial executions.

But Sir, the basic questions remains: on what grounds does our Army summarily execute such combatants? You seem to be saying that because our courts do not do their jobs, that somehow justifies cold blooded murder of our own citizens, by the hundreds (not just these six), because they dare fight against our Army.

Even now, there is nothing stopping our Army from presenting these captured combatants before a military court and then ordering summary executions after due process that is recorded.

If we are so blithely accepting of this illegal and horrific practice, then I can assure you that grave consequences are not too far off.

What the Indian Army does with their citizens and country is none of my concern. Let the Indians worry about that one, Sir.

Comparing apples and oranges. Totally different scenarios and circumstances.

I am not comparing anything. All I am saying is that if we accept these murders, then we do not have any moral standing to object to any other murders either. Condemnation cannot be selective.

I am not comparing anything. All I am saying is that if we accept these murders, then we do not have any moral standing to object to any other murders either. Condemnation cannot be selective.

I don't give two rats to what India does.

And I fully support this sort of killing of Taliban.

Have a fight, if you capture any of these A-holes, line 'em up and shoot them. Kaam khatam.

You can keep living in you perfect and just world.

Back
Top Bottom