What's new

Arjun MK2 1st Pic arrived

But don't people call the Arjun the Desert Ferarri? 1400 or 1500 HP is hardly 100 odd HP - less than what a mid sized hatchback produces nowadays. What difference is that measly 100 horses going to do when spread over something weighing equivalent of 55 such cars?

I don't know why they call it that but I can imagine with a target of 1000+ inductions, only inducting 250 gives a good idea that the Mk-I wasn't all that. That's why they are trying to get the weight down, put in stronger power plant.

The new Arjun looks more T-90 inspired than it's old leopard inspired look. Turret has lost significant mass, profile is lower. Might have lost 4 to 8 tonnes.

The whole Arjun program.

Mix of T-90 and Merkava as its redesigning is done by Israeli Military Industry. ;)

Pakistan has pioneered the use of tanks in mountainous terrain during the WoT, although used to great effect, the Tanks have severe limitations when used in mountainous terrain and are limited to the valley only. If you have good gunner and commander though, valley is just where you need to be.

WRT to the bolded part, I would certainly qualify that statement. Were those High-Gradient areas at Higher Altitudes? or just undulating groung at Higher Altitudes?

For Example, IA has deployed Tanks in Ladakh (incl. T-72 tanks) now as well as in the past. I certainly would not consider that to be Mountainous terrain. Some of it is Plateau, while some of it is undulating ground at High Altitude. Thats it.

Actually going by the pictures that I saw; even tanks could be deployed at Giyari, after air-lifting there of course. How useful that would be is another matter.

Tank looks in good shape but the problem for Indian army is Arjun MK2 deliveries will start by 2015 and by that time they are expecting FMBT, but it doesn't matter Drdo always behind schedule and it will give lot of time to IA to induct MK2 and our Indians friends are used to celebrate with prototypes like in case of lca and many other products. :D

Livefist: Reloaded Arjun Killed At Birth?

WRT to the bolded part, I would certainly qualify that statement. Were those High-Gradient areas at Higher Altitudes? or just undulating groung at Higher Altitudes?

For Example, IA has deployed Tanks in Ladakh (incl. T-72 tanks) now as well as in the past. I certainly would not consider that to be Mountainous terrain. Some of it is Plateau, while some of it is undulating ground at High Altitude. Thats it.

Actually going by the pictures that I saw; even tanks could be deployed at Giyari, after air-lifting there of course. How useful that would be is another matter.

The PA has used them in both cases, high gradient slopes and high altitude plains. However, most use has been restricted to the base valley and low gradient slopes from where enemy positions were in range. A more important role for the tanks was:

1) Psychological Suppression
2) Fire Suppression
3) Cave Complex Clearance
4) Village Complex Clearance
5) Charging Enemy Positions

The tanks worked well and Americans who saw them in action also wrote for armour deployment in Afg. Their role in COIN is unprecedented.
As for deploying tanks in Gayari, I think the tank will never reach there, the thin mountain air means that Helis have to struggle keeping themselves in the air, secondly, the pipes would burst unless it is kept warm. In trucks, that means someone has to start them every half hour.

secondly, the pipes would burst unless it is kept warm. In trucks, that means someone has to start them every half hour.

If you mean the fuel freezing, I have seen faujis light fires under the tanks in the mornings. Scary!

The PA has used them in both cases, high gradient slopes and high altitude plains. However, most use has been restricted to the base valley and low gradient slopes from where enemy positions were in range. A more important role for the tanks was:

1) Psychological Suppression
2) Fire Suppression
3) Cave Complex Clearance
4) Village Complex Clearance
5) Charging Enemy Positions

The tanks worked well and Americans who saw them in action also wrote for armour deployment in Afg. Their role in COIN is unprecedented.
As for deploying tanks in Gayari, I think the tank will never reach their, the thin mountain air means that Helis have to struggle keeping themselves in the air, secondly, the pipes would burst unless it is kept warm. In trucks, that means someone has to start them every half hour.

I still THink Tanks are best suited for Plain warfare and to punch holes in the enemy defences...Running them through crammed streets wouldnt be a wise idea when facing a well equipped Militia also.

If you mean the fuel freezing, I have seen faujis light fires under the tanks in the mornings. Scary!

Yeah, common trick in the region. They'd be screwed for neglecting safety protocol if they did that elsewhere. I've seen everything freeze coolant, water, fuel, oil, if the engine ceases then you've got issues.

I still THink Tanks are best suited for Plain warfare and to punch holes in the enemy defences...Running them through crammed streets wouldnt be a wise idea when facing a well equipped Militia also.

We never put them in streets, that's just walking into an ambush, the tanks do their stuff from the open plains around the village.

Mix of T-90 and Merkava as its redesigning is done by Israeli Military Industry. ;)

there is no help from the IMI to design the tank. They just give self reliance system to the ARJUN2, 3rd parity evaluation.
They perhaps helping on FMBT.

well the source should be posted ,anyways nice looking pics

ERA armor has been added in front turret

Tank looks in good shape but the problem for Indian army is Arjun MK2 deliveries will start by 2015 and by that time they are expecting FMBT, but it doesn't matter Drdo always behind schedule and it will give lot of time to IA to induct MK2 and our Indians friends are used to celebrate with prototypes like in case of lca and many other products. :D

Livefist: Reloaded Arjun Killed At Birth?
You had to bring LCA and other products. 248 Arjun Mk-I isn't sufficient for our first attempt to build our own tank. Especially the tank which proved better than T-90 in trials.

Aren't they worthy enough to forward deployment, which IA is skeptical about and wants T-90 as the forward one. Even if Arjun is used on Rajasthan border, it is still a good deployment considering its capability in desert. Also we can churn as many as we want at war time at short notice and go at full swing from this border with Apache and LCH providing the cover.

Look at all the scenarios. You build weapons Indian specific, we just built a tank Pakistan specific, what's wrong with it.

Its about having robust domestic industry and advancement in technology. A decade from now, the things we learnt from Arjun of both MKI and MKII, FMBT will have greater punch.

Don't bring same old rants about DRDO's failure to build one in time if its product's trial is sabotaged by the Army of its own nation just to earn some kick-backs.

Disucss the role of MKII on desert, I think many will find it formidable weapon to counter.

The basic purpose of deploying tanks in the mountainous region of India because our neighbors have built good road connectivity along the border which could be used by cavalry. Since Tibet is a plateau and broad valleys in ladhak which can host these tanks.

Looks like Argun 1 with T-90S ERA attached:

arjunmk1-1.1343480528.jpg

+
t-90ac3.1343480533.jpg

=
imgarjun2crop2.1343480540.jpg

I have read that the Arjun is a fantastic tank but too heavy for Pakistani bridges. Which is where the Russian tanks still come in.

Is it not possible to shorten the chasis and shed some weight to make a smaller lighter version?

Ive read that Pak mbts are superior to all indian tanks in service.

Back
Top Bottom