What's new

Arjun MK2 1st Pic arrived

Boxy turtle was ridiculed by many at different defence forums in India. I think they read those comments and worked on it.

IMO, that was not the case. Design for such equipment is not predicated on Public Acclaim. The 'Boxy Turret' has its own functions. And if you look closely, it might still be there. The sloping dimensions that you see are from the ERA, which most likely is bolted on. There was'nt too much about the box otherwise.

That turret looks sexay.

Although does not quite match up with the front.

And are those diggers going to be with every tank?

No tanks use the domestic bridge network across canals unless there is no other option. Usually they have this to help.

Meet the Fascine........Or a collapsible bridge might be used if the body of water is larger, ferries if it's very large.

T-72s maybe, not the Arjun. The weight means you need to cut down on units. Makes it infeasible.
Ome tank at a time....and if we get a dozen C-III, then it will be swift transfer to the battlefield. I think it was the major reason to buy those plane to tanks with it along with soldiers.

Not sure C-130 can take it or not. If it does, then we are on way to acquire 24 of them. So it will accelerate the aggression.

Kindly provide info or other way which offer us advantage.

Its weight is a concern to deploy on mountainous region. What about western front.?

The Arjun MK2 looks pretty awesome :tup:,there would be no doubt about the final deliverable product. This MK2 will be the hunter killer.

Everywhere we read about Arjun, weight is talked of. But equally we learn that in its class, its not the heaviest worldwide. Then why build such a heavy tank? Only for the desert and plains? Does its weight give it any advantage (besides the weight of the armor of course)? So does it mean that the lighter tanks for the mountains compromise on armor? Or they compromise on firepower? Cause I'm sure they would not be compromising on engine size due to the gradients involved.

can someone give me another link of the picture ..its not loading ...:pop:

Ome tank at a time....and if we get a dozen C-III, then it will be swift transfer to the battlefield. I think it was the major reason to buy those plane to tanks with it along with soldiers.

Not sure C-130 can take it or not. If it does, then we are on way to acquire 24 of them. So it will accelerate the aggression.

I'm no aviation buff, but I haven't ever seen an Abrams air drop, since the Arjun is largely the same category, I think my observation stands. The C-17 can deliver only one Abrams per flight as per my idea but these calculations are done to the centimetre and maybe a loadmaster may be able to add in a second if he's a real hotshot, but logic does not support that assumption.

Its weight is a concern to deploy on mountainous region. What about western front.?

Tanks CANNOT fight in moutainous terrain. Not Arjun, not T-90, not T-72 or even T-54/55s. At the most some light tanks can be deployed there, even that will be in plateau or undulating areas not in high-gradient areas.

Everywhere we read about Arjun, weight is talked of. But equally we learn that in its class, its not the heaviest worldwide. Then why build such a heavy tank? Only for the desert and plains? Does its weight give it any advantage (besides the weight of the armor of course)? So does it mean that the lighter tanks for the mountains compromise on armor? Or they compromise on firepower? Cause I'm sure they would not be compromising on engine size due to the gradients involved.

Weight is a side issue, it's the poor Hp/Tonne ratio that will get the Arjun killed. Low Hp/Tonne ratio means low power, low speed, more overheating and greater breakdowns. If your tank breakdowns in War, you might as well shoot yourself.

Tanks CANNOT fight in moutainous terrain. Not Arjun, not T-90, not T-72 or even T-54/55s. At the most some light tanks can be deployed there, even that will be in plateau or undulating areas not in high-gradient areas.

Pakistan has pioneered the use of tanks in mountainous terrain during the WoT, although used to great effect, the Tanks have severe limitations when used in mountainous terrain and are limited to the valley only. If you have good gunner and commander though, valley is just where you need to be.

Weight is a side issue, it's the poor Hp/Tonne ratio that will get the Arjun killed. Low Hp/Tonne ratio means low power, low speed, more overheating and greater breakdowns. If your tank breakdowns in War, you might as well shoot yourself.

But don't people call the Arjun the Desert Ferarri? 1400 or 1500 HP is hardly 100 odd HP - less than what a mid sized hatchback produces nowadays. What difference is that measly 100 horses going to do when spread over something weighing equivalent of 55 such cars?

Most of the compromise is there- in the Armor. However the tanks can use terrain (to some extent) to minimise that. Modern Light Tanks are nearly gunned as well as some of the heavies. While Engine Power is related to Power to Weight Ratios as required by the terrain where those tanks are designed to operate.

Source please.

Also can someone mention the level of indegenization?

I think indegenization is upto 60-65% present by cost. But it increases slowly. DRDO developed new 1500hp engine for tanks, which also in final trails & ready upto end of this year.
New suspension system is under development, which will complete by 2014-2015 time frame. Engine & suspension system will replaced french & german counterpart respectively,& better than those.

Self reliance system, LAHAt missile etc. are the few things which are from foreign.

Arjun2 which is under trail, is not complete prototype, there is also some modification which still not incoporate on that PT.

From the pics it looks like DRDO put more composite plate in front of tuurent, that surly make it more tougher.
This beast is trouble maker for the enemy.

Back
Top Bottom