What's new

Arjun MK-II user trials kicked off in Rajasthan

@ Black Widow - you hit the nail on the wall. The current view of civvies is that if someone is from the military and gives out info that is less then perfect, it is taken as 100%-perfect-coming-from-the-horses-mouth. It is at times amusing, to see how we civvies take every word of military personnel on forums as THE word carved in stone.

Any idea what the 75 improvements are- as in all of them?

No pictures as of yet, what a killjoy!
Here's the list of 19 major modifications that the Arjun Mark II. The list was finalized after extensive user opinion canvassing and feedback from the DGQA, DGEME, OFB, DGMF and DRDO.

1. Missile firing capability
2. Commander’s TI panoramic sight Mk II
3. Driver’s thermal imaging night sight
4. Additional ammunition
5. Enhanced ammunition penetrator
6. Effective alternative to muzzle reference sight (MRS)
7. Resin-based CCC
8. Ten-round containerized bin
9. Explosive reactive armor panels
10. Infra-red/Thermal imaging resistant paint
11. Air defense weapon remote firing
12. ALWCS (advanced laser warning and countermeasure system)
13. Roof mounted driver’s seat
14. ATT in GMS (gunner’s main sight)
15. Advanced land navigation system
16. New final drive with increased reduction ratio
17. Advanced running gear system
18. New track system
19. Mine plough

In addition, there are 74 “minor” improvements (adding up to 93 improvements in all) that are not really that minor. For example:

1. An improved sprocket wheel that modifies the manufacturing process from rolled homogenous armor (which required gas cutting and machining) to a forged sprocket which is 50% the cost, 50% easier to build and gives a longer life.

2. Another minor modification is the incorporation of stainless steel fuel tanks. The painting required for the insides of the earlier mild steel tanks was creating residue that clogged the fuel lines and filters. But stainless steel requires no painting.

3. Internal electrical wiring has been comprehensively re-laid, incorporating the dozens of modifications that have been incrementally carried out over the years. The wiring has now been laid systematically, making it easier to track and repair.

4. The radio harness has been modified, and internal communications are now digital. That makes it easier to integrate audio alarms and provides an SMS facility between the crew. It is totally noise free… now the crew can communicate easily.

5. Another improvement is the incorporation of a new compact Auxiliary Power Unit (APU), which provides 8 KW of electrical power (uprated from the existing 4.5 KW APU). This requirement is based on fresh load budgeting calculations, allowing the tank to operate in “silent mode” with the additional electronics… also keeping a cushion for future electronic enhancements.

Hope that helps!

Cheers!

Arjun MK-II user trials kicked off in Rajasthan

I0dVx.jpg

User trials of Main Battle Tank, Arjun MK-II equipped with almost 75 new improved technologies and some other modified features as compared to Mark-I version have been kicked off in Rajasthan and are expected to continue for the coming few days. Defence Research and Development Organisation which has indigenously developed and manufactured this much awaited MBT with help of its various labs led by Chennai-based Combat Vehicle Research and Development Establishment has been conducting development trials for almost two years to test various technologies integrated into Arjun MK-II at different times as per the demands projected by Army.

However, as per a DRDO official, it is the first time, that all the integrated technologies including 16 major technologies are being tested at the same time. The user trials as per the officials started yesterday.

It is to be mentioned that Hyderabad based Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory of DRDO has developed the armour for Mk II version of Arjun. “Talking about DRDO, we are satisfied with the end product and its results making it one of the most potent combat tanks for the Army with unmatched automatic target detection and destruction while offering maximum protection to the crew. Now, the Army is testing the same in Pokharan Firing Range in Rajasthan”, said an official adding that MK-II is heavier than Mk-I but has more speed and manoeuvrability as compared to lighter counterparts currently in service with Army.

However, DRDO is asserting that if all goes well, Army should place an order of at least 500 Arjun MK-II tanks for make it cost effective, production viable and continuous in terms of supply. “Army earlier inducted 124 Mk-I Arjun Tanks and then asked for an advanced version equipped with specified features and capabilities. However, to make it cost effective and viable for both the industry and the users, the order has to be increased well in time to at least 500 for Mk II version of Arjun MBT. If the Army is satisfied, the order of 500 should be placed in one go only since that would save time taken for various formalities and procedures of a fresh order”, said a DRDO official while speaking to The Times of India.

Amongst the features which have been modified in MK-II version of Arjun vis-a-vis its Mk-I version are night vision capabilities with thermal imaging system for detecting all kinds of missiles, Explosive Reactive Armor (ERA) providing greater protection to crew and tank, mine ploughs, ability to fire Anti-tank missile with 120 mm main gun, Advanced Air Defense gun capable of shooting down Helicopters with a 360 degree coverage, Automatic Target Tracking (ATT) lending a greater accuracy when it comes to moving targets and superior Laser Warning and Control systems.

DRDO official said that Arjun MK-II is equipped with integrated display system capable of detecting targets, their number and location while the thermal imaging unit facilitates the tank commander to see upto half a kilometre.

However, the German engine of Arjun Mk-I have again been integrated in MK-II as well despite claims of an indigenous engine as per the sources. Officials are attributing the same to the small order being proposed by Army and said that a separate plant for manufacturing engines cannot be put up for such limited order.

Link - Arjun MK-II user trials kicked off in Rajasthan | idrw.org

I think they might not be able to see production till MK-IIIs and also there are big chances of new tanks order from EU...

I think they might not be able to see production till MK-IIIs and also there are big chances of new tanks order from EU...

And which tank that would be, I can't see any potent Tank in West which weight less than 55-58 Tons.. Army must procure 1500+ Arjuna MK-II..

Arjuna will guard Western borders (Along with T72) while T90 can be moved towards Chinese border..

They can bring down the weight to about 60 tons in current version as per the Israeli expert. They can bring it down further if they try a 3 crew tank. DRDO should try Mattel used in T 90 to reduce the weight of Arjun. We can purchase the know how. We have 2 of the best tanks in the world in our hand. We can use these technologies along with new designs to produce the best in the world tank. Such as metallurgy of T 90, Gun and Armour of Arjun, new 1800 HP engine, turret of new T 90 series of tank, electronics and deception technique of Arjun MK2 and Markava, Smooth bore version of current Arjun Gun or latest version of L series of Gun from Germany etc.

Off topic, but isnt it about time we seriously looked into a light tank in large numbers for the mountains?

They can bring down the weight to about 60 tons in current version as per the Israeli expert. They can bring it down further if they try a 3 crew tank. DRDO should try Mattel used in T 90 to reduce the weight of Arjun. We can purchase the know how. We have 2 of the best tanks in the world in our hand. We can use these technologies along with new designs to produce the best in the world tank. Such as metallurgy of T 90, Gun and Armour of Arjun, new 1800 HP engine, turret of new T 90 series of tank, electronics and deception technique of Arjun MK2 and Markava, Smooth bore version of current Arjun Gun or latest version of L series of Gun from Germany etc.

And how will this help Politicians and Defence Babus?? How there son will buy Audi and BMW.. Nothing will happen.. We will keep buying overpriced junks from foreign and money will go to Mother India..

Off topic, but isnt it about time we seriously looked into a light tank in large numbers for the mountains?

Thats what I am saying, We will have 1200+ T90, we can redirect it to mountain devision. while 1500+ Arjuna with T72 can be used at Western front.

What is the use to keeping two world class Tanks at same place?? We must know how to effectively use our resources.

Tender for 300 out there,polish anders frontrunner.
Another 354 t-90 will form new armoured brigade in mountain strike corps.Thats it.Not much armour needed tehre.

I ask all of you. Pl let me know if new engine is ready for production? As article suggest they are not producing it simply because there is not enough order on tank. Does it mean that it is ready otherwise?

You should all thank Chindu, he is the only patriot in current govt. He wanted IA, IAF and IN to buy made in india only. But corrupt officials did not listen to him :cry: he was very sad, and angry :butcher: Then he had an idea that if he will tank the INR, import will be automatically stopped: closed:. So you see, for last 2 years is he working so hard to put down INR compared to Dollar..and I am sure by god's wish he will soon make the import 10X costlier and then IA will have no choice :partay:

Now in my opinion time has come to induct at least 400-500 mk2 and kick out old and blind t-72.Even if there are some problems just start production and modify those later on.Even t-90 induction should stop as russia itself is not looking at t-90 and has started making a new gen tank

I ask all of you. Pl let me know if new engine is ready for production? As article suggest they are not producing it simply because there is not enough order on tank. Does it mean that it is ready otherwise?

I don't think its indigenous engine.Its about mtu engine to be produced on tot
Are u smoking weed to suggest that we will be able to develop a tank engine:devil:
We have made only one engine till now...................WANKEL FOR NISHANT

You should all thank Chindu, he is the only patriot in current govt. He wanted IA, IAF and IN to buy made in india only. But corrupt officials did not listen to him :cry: he was very sad, and angry :butcher: Then he had an idea that if he will tank the INR, import will be automatically stopped: closed:. So you see, for last 2 years is he working so hard to put down INR compared to Dollar..and I am sure by god's wish he will soon make the import 10X costlier and then IA will have no choice :partay:

That was brilliant!!!

Now in my opinion time has come to induct at least 400-500 mk2 and kick out old and blind t-72.Even if there are some problems just start production and modify those later on.Even t-90 induction should stop as russia itself is not looking at t-90 and has started making a new gen tank

I don't think its indigenous engine.Its about mtu engine to be produced on tot
Are u smoking weed to suggest that we will be able to develop a tank engine:devil:
We have made only one engine till now...................WANKEL FOR NISHANT

I am talking about New engine proposed to be developed. It was of 2/3 of size of current engine with more than 1500 BHP along with gear box called Bharat Power Pack. I do not know at which stage of development it is .

Here's the list of 19 major modifications that the Arjun Mark II. The list was finalized after extensive user opinion canvassing and feedback from the DGQA, DGEME, OFB, DGMF and DRDO.

1. Missile firing capability
2. Commander’s TI panoramic sight Mk II
3. Driver’s thermal imaging night sight
4. Additional ammunition
5. Enhanced ammunition penetrator
6. Effective alternative to muzzle reference sight (MRS)
7. Resin-based CCC
8. Ten-round containerized bin
9. Explosive reactive armor panels
10. Infra-red/Thermal imaging resistant paint
11. Air defense weapon remote firing
12. ALWCS (advanced laser warning and countermeasure system)
13. Roof mounted driver’s seat
14. ATT in GMS (gunner’s main sight)
15. Advanced land navigation system
16. New final drive with increased reduction ratio
17. Advanced running gear system
18. New track system
19. Mine plough

In addition, there are 74 “minor” improvements (adding up to 93 improvements in all) that are not really that minor. For example:

1. An improved sprocket wheel that modifies the manufacturing process from rolled homogenous armor (which required gas cutting and machining) to a forged sprocket which is 50% the cost, 50% easier to build and gives a longer life.

2. Another minor modification is the incorporation of stainless steel fuel tanks. The painting required for the insides of the earlier mild steel tanks was creating residue that clogged the fuel lines and filters. But stainless steel requires no painting.

3. Internal electrical wiring has been comprehensively re-laid, incorporating the dozens of modifications that have been incrementally carried out over the years. The wiring has now been laid systematically, making it easier to track and repair.

4. The radio harness has been modified, and internal communications are now digital. That makes it easier to integrate audio alarms and provides an SMS facility between the crew. It is totally noise free… now the crew can communicate easily.

5. Another improvement is the incorporation of a new compact Auxiliary Power Unit (APU), which provides 8 KW of electrical power (uprated from the existing 4.5 KW APU). This requirement is based on fresh load budgeting calculations, allowing the tank to operate in “silent mode” with the additional electronics… also keeping a cushion for future electronic enhancements.

Hope that helps!

Cheers!

will mk2 be comparable to t90 and other mbt or will it be better whats ur opinion

Back
Top Bottom