What's new

Arjun MK-II user trials kicked off in Rajasthan

Buddy the reason Ruskies are not happy because they have started to loose portion of the pie to Yanks and they are afraid in near future they will get only the crumbs and the yanks would have the whole pie. :) I am little emotional because I personally meet and speak with people who has and have been working on this tank in the CVRDE and as per them Arjun MK2 is an Beast hope Army takes the right decision by ordering huge number's of MK2.

Buddy the reason Ruskies are not happy because they have started to loose portion of the pie to Yanks and they are afraid in near future they will get only the crumbs and the yanks would have the whole pie. :) I am little emotional because I personally meet and speak with people who has and have been working on this tank in the CVRDE and as per them Arjun MK2 is an Beast hope Army takes the right decision by ordering huge number's of MK2.

Not the Yanks per se but the WEST -Europeans have to be factored in, namely the French as well as Israel.

The problem is, the Army top brass (not the generals alone but other acquisition committee officers) are extremely corrupt.

While Arjun was being made (MK1), they didn't say anything, but when it was made and ready to induct, they said it doesn't meet expectations. When HVA and DRDO challenged IA to pit T-90s against Arjuns and the latter won easily, the IA was left embarrassed.

Later, the Army when asked about why they didn't order en masse, said that the tank was heavy and changed the requirement in the middle.

Then now they are saying they need Arjun in 50T category for 'eastern flank'. The truth is, MBTs were NEVER meant to be working in eastern flank.

It is a blatant lie to reject Arjun series.

I hope MOD is stern about IA inducting these and threatens them to force induct it and stop making T-90s in license.

The problem is, the Army top brass (not the generals alone but other acquisition committee officers) are extremely corrupt.

While Arjun was being made (MK1), they didn't say anything, but when it was made and ready to induct, they said it doesn't meet expectations. When HVA and DRDO challenged IA to pit T-90s against Arjuns and the latter won easily, the IA was left embarrassed.

Later, the Army when asked about why they didn't order en masse, said that the tank was heavy and changed the requirement in the middle.

Then now they are saying they need Arjun in 50T category for 'eastern flank'. The truth is, MBTs were NEVER meant to be working in eastern flank.

It is a blatant lie to reject Arjun series.

I hope MOD is stern about IA inducting these and threatens them to force induct it and stop making T-90s in license.

From what i heard from a friend in army ,IA doesn't have logistics chain beyond basic level for arjun tanks and this is biggest problem in fielding it in large numbers.Right now to make repairs or heavy maintainence the tank has to be transfered from western desert to all the way to avadi in chennai.Of course this is bad news in war scenario or sustained operations.Not that tank will sink in desert,thats rubbish.

From what i heard from a friend in army ,IA doesn't have logistics chain beyond basic level for arjun tanks and this is biggest problem in fielding it in large numbers.Right now to make repairs or heavy maintainence the tank has to be transfered from western desert to all the way to avadi in chennai.Of course this is bad news in war scenario or sustained operations.Not that tank will sink in desert,thats rubbish.

Really :undecided:
Tell your friend that he is 200% wrong.

Logistic chain - IA have dedicated Arjun carrier - rail carriers - thats how tanks are transported. And I can assure you we have enough carriers to transport all Arjuns in one go.

Bridge layers - We have developed and inducted new bridge layers on Arjun cassis. They are well capable of carrying the all type of tanks including Arjun

Repair and maintenance - Every armoured core has it own maintenance depo. Tanks will go to Audi/Avadi for upgrades only.

Really :undecided:
Tell your friend that he is 200% wrong.

Logistic chain - IA have dedicated Arjun carrier - rail carriers - thats how tanks are transported. And I can assure you we have enough carriers to transport all Arjuns in one go.

Bridge layers - We have developed and inducted new bridge layers on Arjun cassis. They are well capable of carrying the all type of tanks including Arjun

Repair and maintenance - Every armoured core has it own maintenance depo. Tanks will go to Audi/Avadi for upgrades only.

About logistic chain,not transport those are there along with carriers.Arjun Bridge layers haven't entered service in full capacity.

He was talking about mostly repairs,large spares.He said only basic spares available unlike t-series.Could be wrong,he's infantry.

About logistic chain,not transport those are there along with carriers.Arjun Bridge layers haven't entered service in full capacity.

He was talking about mostly repairs,large spares.He said only basic spares available unlike t-series.Could be wrong,he's infantry.

Arjun bridge layers got inducted in 2010. I live in Pune and I see them transported on the trucks all the time. Didn't count but I have seen more than 20 and hey yet I don't live near highway ;)

My definition of logistic is the transport and the support to it. Tell me what I am missing

I am pretty sure tanks don't need to go to factory for repairs. Every core has maintenance guies and extra spares too.

Relax! Your optimism is a little misplaced!

Paradoxically, while the tank itself has demonstrated high speed, firepower, and mobility, at 67 T, the tank is too heavy to be deployed across the border with Pakistan. It is unable to effectively traverse terrain filled with natural and/or artificial obstacles. Or areas criss-crossed with rivers and canals. That rules out most places in Rajasthan, Punjab and the mountainous terrain of the J&K sector.

This has forced the army to identify areas where the Arjun-II can safely be deployed and its operational units based. This probably means the Arjun-II will not fight alongside the T-90s and T-72s. It will certainly not be part of the Indian Army’s strike corps formations, as it could get bogged down in unfamiliar terrain. This runs counter to the philosophy of armoured formations, which are designed for mobile offensive operations deep inside enemy territory.

Unlike the T series tanks that have been airlifted to high altitudes like Leh and even out of the country, the Arjun cannot be airlifted by the IL-76 and C-130 J transports of the Indian Air Force (IAF). The C-17 Globemaster inducted by the Indian Air Force (IAF) has a maximum payload of 75 tonnes — insufficient to airlift the 67 tonne Arjun Mk-2 with attendant support equipment.

In a nutshell, they would most likely be used only in holding formations to be used against the enemy's strike corps, defeating the very basic concept of the requirement of tactical and strategic mobility of armored formations.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but then I thought I need to put this out so people don't start celebrating prematurely!

The only major problem of Arjun tanks seem to be its heavy weight. But if I am not wrong, it was the army who asked DRDO to design a Western type of 4 crew tank....so didn't they knew a 4 crew tank will always be bulkier & heavier than its existing 3 crew tanks of Russian design? Otherwise we have to compromise armour protection level! If heavy weight is a problem in most sub-continent battlefields, then army should have asked for a 3 crew tank in the first place...shouldn't they? Which 4 crew tank is less than 50 tn?

Any idea what the 75 improvements are- as in all of them?

No pictures as of yet, what a killjoy!

I dont know all 93 (93 not 75 upgrades bro) by heart Much of them will be about the electronics/Vectronics. A few that jump out are a new mine plough, RCWS, improved fuel efficency, addition of sloped ERA tiles, addition of an APS, improved air conditioning and crew comfort, Advanced laser warning & countermeasures system, new commander's panoramic sight, an IR jammer, two 8-launcher aerosol smoke screening systems, improved tracks, the addition of a new camouflage system and a new fire control computer (developed by TATA POWER SED).

The only major problem of Arjun tanks seem to be its heavy weight. But if I am not wrong, it was the army who asked DRDO to design a Western type of 4 crew tank....so didn't they knew a 4 crew tank will always be bulkier & heavier than its existing 3 crew tanks of Russian design? Otherwise we have to compromise armour protection level! If heavy weight is a problem in most sub-continent battlefields, then army should have asked for a 3 crew tank in the first place...shouldn't they? Which 4 crew tank is less than 50 tn?

The weight issue isn't all that pronounced as the IA is developing the associated infrastructure to got with it ie rail carriages, bridges etc etc. and famously the ground pressure of the Arjun is LESS than that off the T-90S meaning it is the king of the desert of a "Ferrai" as the Israelis apparently stated. Things take time bro.....

Just because he is in army , doesn't mean he knows more than us.. I have met many pilots who were chest thumping that EFT was gonna selected in MMRCA...

I challenged them, and told that Rafael will be winner... These Armed personal are not nececirally updated on recent activities.. Though there information about current system/weapon is good.

Back
Top Bottom