What's new

Are Indians willing let Hindi be imposed relegating their own vernaculars?

Are Indians willing let Hindi be imposed relegating their own vernacular?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Are Indians willing let Hindi be imposed relegating their own vernaculars?

Why not learn both? Like Cantonese and Mandarin?

In PRC Mandarin is prestigious and all others are under siege. A lect designated as national language will gain prestigious and all the others will be deemed vulgar. And slowly people start using the national lect more and making it ever more expressive.

The vernacular will not develop.

Also there is no such thing as India. This survey will indicate how successful the national identity has been inculcated.

The question is vehemently wrong, Hindi is not imposed but voluntarily taken by every one for their own academic endeavor in schools, as it is not hard, at least it's easy than my Bengali. And the Indian society is interlinked in such a way, and thanks a lot to the media, a kid can speak hindi more fluently than other local language. Now, if you talk about imposing sanskrit, then the statement can hold some relevance.

Also there is no such thing as India. This survey will indicate how successful the national identity has been inculcated.
National identity is not based on speaking the same language.
Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh speak Kannad and Telugu languages primarily and their primary identity is Indian.

National identity is not based on speaking the same language.
Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh speak Kannad and Telugu languages primarily and their primary identity is Indian.

I have met Telegu people and they told me Telegu is gone in Hyderabad during all formal occasions and only spoken by yeoman. Hindi is dominant.

So I am interested in finding out.

I have met Telegu people and they told me Telegu is gone in Hyderabad during all formal occasions and only spoken by yeoman. Hindi is dominant.

So I am interested in finding out.

There's issues in India related to the language question but most people here would of course deny it. They wanna give an impression of 'United Shining India'. Just ask some of the Tamil nationalists :-)

Where is this Premise coming from & what is the question for this thread? Is it about language or is it about country? Trying to answer too many issues in one thread will lead to confusion.

The Constitution of India does not give any language the status of National Language.[4][5] The official languages of the Union Government of the Republic of India are Hindi in the Devanagari script and English,[6] a position supported by a High Court ruling.

Languages of India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We need a universal language language for communications in a single country like we need XML or JSON for data transfer for software Dev for interconnected software. One day surely we will have esperanto as a world wide language for a globalized world but for now it's English.

In PRC Mandarin is prestigious and all others are under siege. A lect designated as national language will gain prestigious and all the others will be deemed vulgar. And slowly people start using the national lect more and making it ever more expressive.

The vernacular will not develop.

Of course standard Mandarin is currently the most prestigious Chinese dialect. Because so many people here can either speak it or understand it, it makes sense from a practical viewpoint.

Where is this Premise coming from & what is the question for this thread? Is it about language or is it about country? Trying to answer too many issues in one thread will lead to confusion.

Languages of India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of the most important feature of a centralize state is imposition of national language, like China. If you cannot impose Hindi, then you are something just better than EU.

Of course standard Mandarin is currently the most prestigious Chinese dialect. Because so many people here can either speak it or understand it, it makes sense from a practical viewpoint.

One of the most important feature of secessionist is enshrining vernacular, like Taiwan is trying very hard to revive Taiwanese.

Me being a Taiwanese speaker think it is not easy. Mandarin having so many inputs from so many speakers are much more expressive than Taiwanese language today.

How do you relate language to an adjective as 'prestigious', the sole purpose of language is for communication, as i believed.

One of the most important feature of a centralize state is imposition of national language, like China. If you cannot impose Hindi, then you are something just better than EU.

One of the most important feature of secessionist is enshrining vernacular, like Taiwan is trying very hard to revive Taiwanese.

Me being a Taiwanese speaker think it is not easy. Mandarin having so many inputs from so many speakers are much more expressive than Taiwanese language today.

Open another thread to discuss on country.

I believe language is the least of reasons of any secessionist movement esp. in India. Most struggles for secession comes more out of a sense of deprivation/unfairness of economic resources for a particular group, members of which are joined by any common identity(language, ethnicity,region,religion etc).

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom