What's new

Are Indians willing let Hindi be imposed relegating their own vernaculars?

Are Indians willing let Hindi be imposed relegating their own vernacular?

• Total voters
There's issues in India related to the language question but most people here would of course deny it. They wanna give an impression of 'United Shining India'. Just ask some of the Tamil nationalists :-)
When problems do crop up, people sit down and solve it.
That is why now there is no language question, it used to be in 60's and 70's.
We have all accepted and adopted the 3 language formula nationwide.

No I did not.....Not knowing Hindi does not make me not an Indian Nationalist.
Well said.

No I did not.....Not knowing Hindi does not make me not an Indian Nationalist.

o_OYou have got to be kidding me , Sir. You are not comprehending my post. Read again please.You might be a Tamil while being an Indian nationalist. But you certainly are NOT a 'TAMIL NATIONALIST', you know the guys fighting for more linguistic-cultural rights of Tamil people and who consider Hindi language a sort of foreign oppression on their identity.
Mind you , people here would deny it but we know the ground reality.

No Hindi imposition on non-hindi states :

From here
Tamil Nadu CM Jaya opposes UGC's Hindi circular, says it's illegal - IBNLive

Chennai: The Tamil Nadu chief minister J Jayalalithaa has strongly opposed the Universities Grants Commission (UGC)'s circular for compulsory Hindi in the colleges. In a statement she said "the UGC circular is unacceptable and illegal. The circular wouldn't apply for Tamil Nadu universities. Tamil Nadu universities under state government control would continue to offer Tamil or other languages under part I. The official languages act says no Hindi imposition on non Hindi states. Official languages act says centre should communicate in English with the non-Hindi states."

She has also hit back at the DMK saying that its double speak has been exposed. She said "the DMK was silent when the Kendriya Hindi Samiti has it decided in 2011."

The DMK and the NDA allies PMK and MDMK have also opposed the circular earlier. The circular asks universities to teach Hindi and English as main subjects at the graduation level.

Are Indians willing let Hindi be imposed relegating their own vernaculars?

India follows three language formula. English + Hindi + Regional language at school. For Hindi speaking states, it is Hindi + English + Sanskrit/German.

i highly doubt that figure, but anyywaz

It's most definitely a big exaggeration. In fact, it defies logic to be honest. Unless millions upon millions of non-native (first language) speakers became native-speakers OVERNIGHT. Most likely tampering with data/demographics .

And no, it doesn't matter that govt. organs report it as such. This is something that non-Hindi speakers should ponder over

When problems do crop up, people sit down and solve it.
That is why now there is no language question, it used to be in 60's and 70's.
We have all accepted and adopted the 3 language formula nationwide.

Well said.
we didnt.. in TN we dont waste time learning 3 languages compulsorily

Of course standard Mandarin is currently the most prestigious Chinese dialect. Because so many people here can either speak it or understand it, it makes sense from a practical viewpoint.

how can a language be called most prestigeous if rarely people speak or understand it....or are you refering mandarin as a less developed language which is not worth learning....:)

It's most definitely a big exaggeration. In fact, it defies logic to be honest. Unless millions upon millions of non-native (first language) speakers became native-speakers OVERNIGHT. Most likely tampering with data/demographics .

And no, it doesn't matter that govt. organs report it as such. This is something that non-Hindi speakers should ponder over
No one can tamper the Census of India report. I find it mildly funny that Pakistanis would doubt the authenticity. Because it happens in your country does not mean that you view other countries and their Institutions with your cultural lenses.

In any case, you are free to doubt Census of India, it makes no difference.

we didnt.. in TN we dont waste time learning 3 languages compulsorily
You would have learnt 3 languages if your school is affiliated to any National Board - CBSE or ICSE.
If your school was affiliated to TN Board, then you might not have. In any case, most new schools are now affiliated with National Boards instead of State boards.

I still speak Koshur at home. :mad: And you can't speak either Koshur or Punjabi. Ma sadqay. Burnnnnn :D

I can speak some Punjabi ! :mad:

Koshur was abandoned for a superior language - Urdu; long ago by my ancestors ! :bunny:

Urdu hai jisss ka naaam hamiii janteiii hain Butt

Sareiii jahan mein dhoom hamarii zubaan key haii

:azn:

Every educated Indian learns three languages ...
1. His mother tongue(Punjabi, Haryanvi, Rajasthani, Gujrati....and so on.)
2. National Language(Hindi)
3. English(Global Business language)

So I don't get this debate over imposition of any language..... this is a stupid debate.

how is hindi your national language when majority of indians dont even speak or understand a word of it......

during my graduate studies i came across an indian girl in "global perspectives" class and I had a group project with her and a few others. She didnt understand a single WORD of Urdu when I spoke to her; she got defensive and visually flabergasted even when I asked her how she doesnt understand what I'm saying. She was tamil by the way. Happened in 2010 i think.

how is hindi your national language when majority of indians dont even speak or understand a word of it......

during my graduate studies i came across an indian girl in "global perspectives" class and I had a group project with her and a few others. She didnt understand a single WORD of Urdu when I spoke to her; she got defensive and visually flabergasted even when I asked her how she doesnt understand what I'm saying. She was tamil by the way. Happened in 2010 i think.
becoz hindi n urdu r similar not same...
even i have grt difficulty understnding Pakistanis when they speak urdu,,,,:p:
but i am a decent hindi speaker

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom