What's new

Anyone do martial arts?

Forget it, there's no way we can prove one way or the other, but understand I've dealt with ~20 something Russians before, if they were any indication of your breeding, I'd not worry.

And chances are you lost to all of them.

taekwondo learned it in jeddah for 2 year's 3 days a week green belt blue stripe 5 th kup & canada for 2 & a half year's start 2 days a week over again till green belt 6th kup so between 6th min 5th kup @ max that's about it for me

Last edited:
I am orange belt in Karate :)

Going to join the karate gym today... I'll have to join the adult classes, they never do it for teens for some reason!

Hi all, its a nice thread.

I practiced Karate for 12 years rigorously, Shektu Rio style. learned to use Nunjak, bow & Urumi(from one of my Kalari friend as that is the most lethal weapon I have even seen)

Fought in tournaments earlier.

My dream moment came when I won in one tournament in 50-59kg category in 1998 and the prize was awarded by I.M Vijayan(Footballer of the year,India)

(At that time, he is like sachin nowinour state)

Now i weight 80 Kg and doing only 'Sanchin'(a sort of katta)...

Rgds,

Nice! So you fight in tournaments!

Anybody do aikido (spelling...)? It seems quite powerful. My friend does it and he 'accidentally' hurt someone's hand really hard.

i am more inclined to our very own Kalarippayattu,but it is very difficult to master,so i never took it

Instead went for Karate,the most common martial art in India

Nice! So you fight in tournaments!

Anybody do aikido (spelling...)? It seems quite powerful. My friend does it and he 'accidentally' hurt someone's hand really hard.

I practice Aikido, however its more of a self-defense art tailored towards balancing the body/defending than attacking. Think of it as a mix of Tai-Chi with a slight dose of Judo.

imho, the real advantage of Aikido is that it can supplement what we learn in other martial arts forms. For example, Aikido teachers you how to fall, how to roll with the blows and so on and so forth(other martial arts also teach you these, but not to the extent Aikido does.). Thus the practitioners of more "active" martial arts like karate can benefit by learning Aikido.

:)

As for your friend, yes..any martial art can be dangerous...some of the locks and pinning methods used in Aikido can do serious damage if not used judiciously

Bruce Lee

No thread on martial arts would be credible without a photo of the KING.

1action-gal-bruce-lee.jpg

"When you have Bruce Lee you don't need stunt doubles or special effects"

Anyway, on topic, I took a few classes of jiu jitsu long time back. Don't remember anything except one very cool move where you grab the opponents hand and put a lock on his fingers holding them in an opposite position so the more he struggles, the more it hurts him. And you can hold him down like this using only one hand!

In karate we don't learn too many 'cool' moves and rather focus on blocks and punches. There are a few tricks to make people fall over, but it's usually more advantageous in karate to throw blows.

As a 2nd deg TKD (Jon-ji school) stylist, I will give my take on this subject...

If you are looking to learn how to end a fight in the quickest, most painful, and most disabling to your opponent, learn Krav Maga or any similar. There are no intellectual challenges about life and philosophies in these teachings and I do not want to call them 'arts' even in the most generous definition. They are exactly that -- end the fight quickly with the most disabling technique to your opponent at your most opportune opening.

If you are looking for basic fighting techniques to fend off an opponent or perhaps even to put him down, then take up boxing. Between a Golden Gloves caliber fighter and a dan of any Asian martial arts, I will put my money on the boxer and odds are very very good that I will collect. Five-nines (%99.999) of Asian martial arts schools and instructors out there do not know how to teach combination punches techniques. Five-nines of kicks to the torso can be protected by a boxer's elbows. Boxers know how to dance with their feet better than five-nines of black belts of any Karate or TKD derivatives. I do not care what the movies shows, any punch to the head will reel a person and boxers are well trained to follow up once a punch connect.

Learn knife fighting techniques and carry a folding knife of at least 3-in blade. Not one of those Swiss contraptions. Learn 'weak hand' techniques.

If possible, learn escrima. A good beating with a stick will discourage an opponent without crippling him. The goal here is to extend your reach and a stick will allow that. A stick extend your reach while a knife increases your 'close-in' lethality. After one year of escrima training, if possible learn the bokken, the Japanese wooden practice sword. It is a weapon in its own right.

As a 2nd deg TKD (Jon-ji school) stylist, I will give my take on this subject...

If you are looking to learn how to end a fight in the quickest, most painful, and most disabling to your opponent, learn Krav Maga or any similar. There are no intellectual challenges about life and philosophies in these teachings and I do not want to call them 'arts' even in the most generous definition. They are exactly that -- end the fight quickly with the most disabling technique to your opponent at your most opportune opening.

If you are looking for basic fighting techniques to fend off an opponent or perhaps even to put him down, then take up boxing. Between a Golden Gloves caliber fighter and a dan of any Asian martial arts, I will put my money on the boxer and odds are very very good that I will collect. Five-nines (%99.999) of Asian martial arts schools and instructors out there do not know how to teach combination punches techniques. Five-nines of kicks to the torso can be protected by a boxer's elbows. Boxers know how to dance with their feet better than five-nines of black belts of any Karate or TKD derivatives. I do not care what the movies shows, any punch to the head will reel a person and boxers are well trained to follow up once a punch connect.

Learn knife fighting techniques and carry a folding knife of at least 3-in blade. Not one of those Swiss contraptions. Learn 'weak hand' techniques.

If possible, learn escrima. A good beating with a stick will discourage an opponent without crippling him. The goal here is to extend your reach and a stick will allow that. A stick extend your reach while a knife increases your 'close-in' lethality. After one year of escrima training, if possible learn the bokken, the Japanese wooden practice sword. It is a weapon in its own right.

Its a very good post gambit, but i have some differences on the bold part. A good boxer just need a chance to hit one punch to blow anybody out, which is true, but the martial artist have the adventage of 'long legs' a well directed side kick or any of the jumping attacks applying full body weight will be devastating.

Rgds,

Back
Top Bottom