What's new

Anyone do martial arts?

chinese dragon in real life :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

china-fat_big.jpg

Wow, what a funny guy you are. :rofl:

Anyway, Hong Kong has one of the lowest obesity rates in the world. So you don't need to worry about us, you should worry about yourself. :azn:

Lets talk everyone :)

I have been taking Karate for a year now at my school but they only teach the basics and I am looking for a real gym to join (will check one out tomorrow).

Anyone do any martial arts? There are some others in my class that take either kickboxing or aikido.

if anyone is looking to join I highly recommend it. It is great for health, keeps you fit, it's fun, competitive and teaches self defense if you need it.

Ive been practicing karate and Aikido for some years now. Recently I started learning Kendo, I'm but a newbie so far in that art :)

And yes, Martial arts do keep you fit and also have the added benefit of building self-confidence as well as self control

As a practitioner of Yoga, Its interesting to find a lot of parallels between the Yoga concepts and the Eastern martial arts.

For Example the "Ki" in Karate could be similar to the "Prana" in Yoga. Also the Brahnayama (breathing practices) of Yoga lend themselves well for preparation and cooling down before and after martial arts training.

I would love to learn Silambam (stick fighting) and Kalari but sadly no one teaches them where I live. :(

Check this video (from 2.45-3.10). The Skill is amazing.
YouTube - SILAMBAM

:cry: sadly it will takes years of practice
Obviously the same goes for Kalari as well

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a0/JasmineSimhalan-kalaripayatt-silambam.gif

I prefer K1. Has all the action but with rules. The MMA UFC guys are complete nutheads.

That's a common misconception by many ignorant people that MMA has no rules.

MMA has rules - even in the first UFC there were 3 basic rules, but since then the sport has been cleaned up with plenty of rules and regs to make it acceptable as a mainstream combat sport (and the fastest growing in the world I might add).

The days of it being a streetfight are well and truly over and all the top level fighters are highly skilled martial artists in several disciplines and exceptional athletes with brutal training regimes.

Wow, what a funny guy you are. :rofl:

Anyway, Hong Kong has one of the lowest obesity rates in the world. So you don't need to worry about us, you should worry about yourself. :azn:

Dude ignore that guy. His posts are retarded anyways.

I use to go to a gym in Islamabad and this Chinese guy had pretty good kicking power and speed. Tell me is their something you guys go through? Any special diet, training, exercise?

am a Kalari "Aashaan" .... I used to teach But not anymore....

Wow, that is great to hear!

My granddad knew Kalari and Silambam, but the later generations didn't learn them :(. As these arts are mostly handed down through the family, once lost its hard to learn them. But I noticed that there are some Kalari/Varma Adi schools in Kerala and southern TN.

That's right. :cheers:

It's also related to the concept of "chi" in China. Qi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(The Chinese and Japanese cultures use the exact same character for this word, but pronounce it slightly differently).

Yes, I realized from the onset that the Ki is probably a derivative of the Chinese Chi. :)

Did you know that kalari/varma Adi and Chinese Martial arts both agree that there are 108 vital spots on the Human body?

Varma ati - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If interested Check this Ebook out.
To Heal and/or To Harm:
The Vital Spots (Marmmam/Varmam) in Two South Indian Martial Traditions

Phillip B. Zarrilli, University of Wisconsin-Madison

http://spa.exeter.ac.uk/drama/staff/kalari/healharm.html

Last edited:

I use to go to a gym in Islamabad and this Chinese guy had pretty good kicking power and speed. Tell me is their something you guys go through? Any special diet, training, exercise?

Yeah I'm just going to ignore that guy. :cheers:

Chinese martial arts focuses a lot on "repetition". There is a strict schedule, you have to dedicate a large amount of time each day to go through all the exercises.

The Chinese word for martial arts is "Gong fu" (sometimes written as Kung fu)... and it literally just means "hard work". Even doing just routine exercises like push-ups or cleaning the floor is considered a part of Gong fu.

Just make sure you have an exercise regime (like do 60 push ups in the morning, 60 sit ups, stamina exercises etc.) and make sure you do it every day without fail. Getting a punching bag is also fantastic if you can find somewhere in your house where it doesn't block anything. Hard work is the essence of martial arts and that should be taken care of before you learn too much theory.

dude seriously some thing is messed up with you maybe u r as retarded as not get a simple humor, maybe that guy got it

Yeah I'm just going to ignore that guy. :cheers:

Chinese martial arts focuses a lot on "repetition". There is a strict schedule, you have to dedicate a large amount of time each day to go through all the exercises.

The Chinese word for martial arts is "Gong fu" (sometimes written as Kung fu)... and it literally just means "hard work". Even doing just routine exercises like push-ups or cleaning the floor is considered a part of Gong fu.

What kind off schedule? Like early morning exercise and running? and then evening and night as well? I am very serious about learning any kind of martial arts and i do admire Chinese meditation. Does that really help? Give me some tips.
thanks bro.

Lets talk everyone :)

I have been taking Karate for a year now at my school but they only teach the basics and I am looking for a real gym to join (will check one out tomorrow).

Anyone do any martial arts? There are some others in my class that take either kickboxing or aikido.

if anyone is looking to join I highly recommend it. It is great for health, keeps you fit, it's fun, competitive and teaches self defense if you need it.

Boxing, it's the most fun you'll ever have.

Yes, I realized from the onset that the Ki is probably a derivative of the Chinese Chi. :)

Did you know that kalari/varma Adi and Chinese Martial arts both agree that there are 108 vital spots on the Human body?

Varma ati - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's right. :tup: In fact there are a LOT more similarities if you look long enough. China has been influenced by Buddhism/Hinduism for thousands of years. It also passed through China to influence the rest of East Asia as well.

Back
Top Bottom