What's new

Analysis: Pakistan's Interest in the Altay MBT

Changing gun is not as simple as mentioned, along with gun auto loading mechanism, turret and gun stabilization module all needed to be replaced to accommodate new gun. more importantly we are producing 125MM ammo since ages and we can't change it for one type of tank and purchasing ammo with tank is not cost effective. We have developed quite a variety of 125mm ammo for the Tanks in our inventory.
I know, but customers can change a few specifications here and there. And obviously the Turks must have experience with producing 125mm guns, and their sub-systems.

I know, but customers can change a few specifications here and there. And obviously the Turks must have experience with producing 125mm guns, and their sub-systems.
Main Gun is very important thing and mostly rest of the tank design and system revolve around it, more importantly gun bore and type selected in respect to enemy and their tanks / Armour.

Main Gun is very important thing and mostly rest of the tank design and system revolve around it, more importantly gun bore and type selected in respect to enemy and their tanks / Armour.
I believe the Altay is large enough to accommodate such "tinkering". Maybe some Turkish members can help us out.

I believe the Altay is large enough to accommodate such "tinkering". Maybe some Turkish members can help us out.
As per my best info we can't change the gun without major modifications let me tag the expert for opinion
@Dazzler

As per my best info we can't change the gun without major modifications let me tag the expert for opinion
@Dazzler

yep, every tank is designed around the main gun and engine. you cannot just swap one gun for another without doing radical modifications to chassis, hull and the turret. Doing so will inevitably result in a new tank which is neither required not feasible.

yep, every tank is designed around the main gun and engine. you cannot just swap one gun for another without doing radical modifications to chassis, hull and the turret. Doing so will inevitably result in a new tank which is neither required not feasible.
But are there variants of tanks with different guns?.
I have poor knowledge in tanks. So excuse my very basic questions.

You mean Tank main gun? Pakistani tanks have 125 mm gun.Some older version have less than that.

Changing gun is not as simple as mentioned, along with gun auto loading mechanism, turret and gun stabilization module all needed to be replaced to accommodate new gun. more importantly we are producing 125MM ammo since ages and we can't change it for one type of tank and purchasing ammo with tank is not cost effective. We have developed quite a variety of 125mm ammo for the Tanks in our inventory.
I think it wil be much easier and cost effective to make 120mm ammo rather than changing the gun.

People says altay turkish version of k2 but thats not true.We paid money for technical assistance of hyundai rottem.The main issue was main gun and balistic protection that we need their help.
Now we have 120 mm smoothbore gun and Turkish armor.If we want to sell Altay to allies we cant go reinmetal for smoothbore 120 mm gun. They never give permission to sell.

I have a serious feeling that our AK-2 is nothing but upgraded version of Leopard Tank. I mean upgraded version revealed by Turkey.
At most the al-Khalid 2 would be similar to the VT-4. The fundamental base frame is MBT-2000, but with a more powerful engine, new transmission, new suite of electronics, new armour, etc.

At most the al-Khalid 2 would be similar to the VT-4. The fundamental base frame is MBT-2000, but with a more powerful engine, new transmission, new suite of electronics, new armour, etc.
so what would pakistan procure to fill the void of replacing ageing tanks? what would be a realistic option for them.
i like to think the oplot m as its quiet familiar to the t80ud which pakistan already has and its not as big as western tanks

so what would pakistan procure to fill the void of replacing ageing tanks? what would be a realistic option for them.
i like to think the oplot m as its quiet familiar to the t80ud which pakistan already has and its not as big as western tanks
My understanding is that the AK is the platform to replace our ageing tanks, but it'd be gradual and incremental. The reason why things took a slow turn is because of the series of major campaigns the armed forces undertook in FATA. For example, Zarb-e-Azb has cost nearly $2bn, so the slowdown in AK production should be attributed to tighter fiscal realities. Once that is lifted, things will be back on course, AK and AZ will gradually phase out older tanks.

Altay has scalable quickchange mantlet which allows it to be upgunned to 140mm cannon if threats evolve beyond 120mm cannon. I don't think 125mm cannon would be would be a issue.
7PUzYMB.png

That being said, Pakistan should continue to work on AK. No need for foreign tanks when you are more than capable of designing one.

@cabatli_53 notice tank on left side is tan colored :-) Think we'll be seeing it rolling around in the arabian heat :)

My understanding is that the AK is the platform to replace our ageing tanks, but it'd be gradual and incremental. The reason why things took a slow turn is because of the series of major campaigns the armed forces undertook in FATA. For example, Zarb-e-Azb has cost nearly $2bn, so the slowdown in AK production should be attributed to tighter fiscal realities. Once that is lifted, things will be back on course, AK and AZ will gradually phase out older tanks.
wont the ak and the az be complemented by an entirely new platform. such as the altay,k2 type99 etc? well thats what zarvan said. also pakistan pruchased 285 type 55's from sebia i assume this will be upgraded to the az standard and inducted for reserve or as a stop gap.
so will pakistan be procuring a entirley new tank?

also pakistan pruchased 285 type 55's from sebia
That is one fun story to revive............. I believe it was just a hoax. Which died with time.
wont the ak and the az be complemented by an entirely new platform
AZ is basically an advance upgrade which you can provide to Type 59,69 Tanks. I wonder if such package can be applied on Type85 too...........as AZ2.........
AK will always remain the same. AK1,AK2 development will be followed by advance sub systems from foreign sources. Its basic Chassis will remain same. If Pakistan ever wished to develop a new tank with TOT of Chinese origin then it will be termed as Al Haider tank not Al Khalid.............

so will pakistan be procuring a entirley new tank?
Possibility exist................

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom