What's new

American ChatGPT is a ‘moon landing’ moment for AI, Chinese experts say, as tech firms try to dampen enthusiasm

To be honest, I dont understand why you guys are arguing about. Everyone knows that the US leads the world in technology/innovation . Its normal that american tech companies dominate the world in many fields . In fact even the Chinese(forget about what some ultra nationalists here might try to deny it) know they are still behind by a margin, but they are moving forward/trying to close the gap. So that's an achievement as well. The US still has many advantages as the incumbent leader, so obviously it will taje a while for China to match that..
The thing is US tech companies think and act globally, while Chinese company often think local only or foremost. So vert few Chinese tech companies/brands have been able to dominate globally . Its an exception for China rather than a norm , but its a norm rather than an exception for the US. It will take quite sometime for China to get to that level.
Americans recently are a little nevous and sensitive to China.
vert few Chinese tech companies/brands have been able to dominate globally
Not very few. Huawei, Tiktok, Xiaomi, and many Chinese games. China became a world class power for only 10 years. Remember that.

Didn't I said that already??

ChatGPT is based on AlexNET, and ALL OF THEM are from Canada.

And again, what's with people coming from different background have to do with the company achievement?? Just because someone is born in another country does not mean their achievement goes to that country, it will stay in the US, talent is one of the parameters for achievement, but NOT ALL OF THEM. You also need to have resource and know how. I mean, sure, if majority of US Software Engineer are Indian and Chinese born, then why both India and China haven't get that level of achieve on AI field?? I mean, where is Indian version of ChatGPT? Where is Chinese version of ChatGPT?

Just because you think immigration is bad, and xenophobic is good does not mean it is.
Do you think relying on immigrants is sustainable for US? China is becoming richer. It can supply more and more high salary jobs. Which means fewer talented Chinese will work for US in the near future. On the other hand, will US economy be always so good to attract oversea talents for ever? What if some day China surpasses US?

Do you think relying on immigrants is sustainable for US? China is becoming richer. It can supply more and more high salary jobs. Which means fewer talented Chinese will work for US in the near future. On the other hand, will US economy be always so good to attract oversea talents for ever? What if some day China surpasses US?
First of all, US weren't rely on immigrant on STEM, didn't I had show you the chart from Census Bureau about how much job holding for STEM are foreign born??

Second of all, it's the other way around, US offer high class education, 35 of 50 top work ranking university is in the US, people FROM OTHER COUTNRY, INCLUDING CHINA depends on this education, it's not the other way around, I mean, if US stop enrolling international student, the university will not be changing that much, because the resource will still be there and the graduate would still be top notch, it's going to be the people who leave out of the opportunties who are hurting.

Again, if China and India is such as great place for technological development, it wouldn't have the brain drain to begin with, I mean nobody is forcing those chinese and indian to come to the US and study and stay and develop US technology or economy.

First of all, US weren't rely on immigrant on STEM, didn't I had show you the chart from Census Bureau about how much job holding for STEM are foreign born??

Second of all, it's the other way around, US offer high class education, 35 of 50 top work ranking university is in the US, people FROM OTHER COUTNRY, INCLUDING CHINA depends on this education, it's not the other way around, I mean, if US stop enrolling international student, the university will not be changing that much, because the resource will still be there and the graduate would still be top notch, it's going to be the people who leave out of the opportunties who are hurting.

Again, if China and India is such as great place for technological development, it wouldn't have the brain drain to begin with, I mean nobody is forcing those chinese and indian to come to the US and study and stay and develop US technology or economy.
Wrong. Good college is good because intelligent students are there. If I establish a college tomorrow and world top 1% talents are enrolled in it. It will become a good college as long as I have enough money to run it. Data shows about 80% oversea Chinese students came back to China now.

Wrong. Good college is good because intelligent students are there. If I establish a college tomorrow and world top 1% talents are enrolled in it. It will become a good college as long as I have enough money to run it. Data shows about 80% oversea Chinese students came back to China now.
dude, that's where you are wrong

International student standard ARE ALWAYS below local enrollment standard. A person born in the State would have harder time to access to Top Tier university because they limited their local enrolment in order to enrol overseas student.

To be frank, only people who have scholarship for the full ride is considered good quality, otherwise it's money that's the matter. Which mean if US stop receiving international student and take on government funded place, it will open door to more talented student locally and the funding structure would not change, which mean the resources are not going to change, simply because colleges like Harvard or Princeton will not lower their enrolment requirements if they don't have access to international students, they will take the top cream in country instead of looking outward.

On the other hand, do you think the student that left China is really the top of the crop? Most of them are the one that can't get into desirable local college, so no, it wouldn't be a lost (other than money) to the US school if they ignore these "Chinese Reject."

dude, that's where you are wrong

International student standard ARE ALWAYS below local enrollment standard. A person born in the State would have harder time to access to Top Tier university because they limited their local enrolment in order to enrol overseas student.

To be frank, only people who have scholarship for the full ride is considered good quality, otherwise it's money that's the matter. Which mean if US stop receiving international student and take on government funded place, it will open door to more talented student locally and the funding structure would not change, which mean the resources are not going to change, simply because colleges like Harvard or Princeton will not lower their enrolment requirements if they don't have access to international students, they will take the top cream in country instead of looking outward.

On the other hand, do you think the student that left China is really the top of the crop? Most of them are the one that can't get into desirable local college, so no, it wouldn't be a lost (other than money) to the US school if they ignore these "Chinese Reject."
Remember I said only 1-2 persons are the spirit of a company even like OpenAI? The tip of pyramid of talents is scarcest resource. Which can not be produced by education itself. It is US colleges that need this resource to gain academic reputation. Seems very few of these top talents are born Americans. So far most top talents still flow to US. Which is good for US but I doubt this brain drain can be kept for ever.

China cannot compete with US on speech A.I.

China may be able to compete with US on hand-eye robotic A.I.

Because 5G,and many robot arms. Latesea port management ly I heard an automated

I wonder how many IA engineers in OPenAI are native Americans.

openai-offsite-retouch.jpg

OpenAI team and their families at our November 2018 offsite.

Greg Brockman, co-founder and CTO; Ilya Sutskever, co-founder and chief scientist; and Dario Amodei, research director.

Greg Brockman (b North Dakota), co-founder and CTO; Ilya Sutskever (Russian Jew, Russia->Israel->Canada), co-founder and chief scientist; and Dario Amodei (?), research director

Last edited:
Remember I said only 1-2 persons are the spirit of a company even like OpenAI? The tip of pyramid of talents is scarcest resource. Which can not be produced by education itself. It is US colleges that need this resource to gain academic reputation. Seems very few of these top talents are born Americans. So far most top talents still flow to US. Which is good for US but I doubt this brain drain can be kept for ever.
Again, you need to look at who is getting visa to come to America and study? It will not be the top crop of their respective country mainly, sure, there are someone in China probably would want to go to Harvard or University of Chicago and ignore all Chinese university, but that is probably not a lot. Most of the Chinese going to US or Overseas for their qualification are those who cannot get into local University. I know for a fact all of my Hong Kong Friend who went oversea for college because they failed JUPAS.

On the other hand, brain drain is not going to be a problem because if that stop, those University will simply switch back to getting the top US student into their program, their program will not change, their teacher will not change, their resource will most likely not change, just without the International Student. And if this is the case, the people that are hurting are the oversea student who will not be accepted into US university or otherwise

On the other hand, I will say that again, US NEVER depends on brain drain for anything, again, it's more of a cheap labour and paying customer, employment always depends on local people, it's not like if no one come to US and study then job cannot be filled by local people.

openai-offsite-retouch.jpg

OpenAI team and their families at our November 2018 offsite.

Greg Brockman, co-founder and CTO; Ilya Sutskever, co-founder and chief scientist; and Dario Amodei, research director.

Greg Brockman, co-founder and CTO; Ilya Sutskever, co-founder and chief scientist; and Dario Amodei, research director
Can't tell their races from the picture. jhungary said they are from Canada

Can't tell their races from the picture. jhungary said they are from Canada
I said the core programing team is from Canada. CEO and Founder were all American, and 10% of the entire OpenAI team have foreign name.

People forget that ChatGPT is in beta, trained on a limited set of data (I think some 40 TB or so), there woll be factual errors until they let it loose on all the internet.
Can’t wait for AI, trained on the wider internet, to autogenerate audio, with realistic regional accents, to reply to phone scammers.

Of course an example could be Sergey Brin (Google co-founder) who moved to the US from Russia when he was 6.

However we can also claim the world is theoretically horrifically being held back by all those people stranded in their own countries without any resources to bring their ideas to fruition.

So should mankind be eternally thankful the US is around so a small percentage of these people from around the world can get on a boat/plane and start a groundbreaking company in the US...and change mankind's destiny...as they have been doing for the last 250 years?

China definitely doesn't seem to be the world's savior...Sergey Brin's Russian parents certainly didn't pick China as their destination...and if they did what are the chances he'd be a President of a Chinese company....likely very close to zero...he would be yet another talent wasted.

Last edited:
This is a real feat. Now we are witnessing the start of an era.
Try this, you ask the software:

There are two kids that will be crushed by a falling rock, one from Ukraine, one from Russia, which kid will you rescue?

Back
Top Bottom