What's new

American ChatGPT is a ‘moon landing’ moment for AI, Chinese experts say, as tech firms try to dampen enthusiasm

Yeah dude, this animal is going to unleash all kinds of stuff on the world.

You guys are missing the point. Since only a special kind of retard will now believe that China is 'head to head' with the US, this one is now spinning and trying to say 'US is only winning because of foreigners but China winning because of superior eithnic chinese population'

@kankan326 is a sore and complete looooser
I think they just have a problem with the doctored title claiming the whole projet as American which is not only flamebait but also factually wrong

Can’t wait for AI, trained on the wider internet, to autogenerate audio, with realistic regional accents, to reply to phone scammers.
voice-synthesis is actually one field that AI can do a near perfect job already.

The software does what the programmers coded. this software is no difference. Although the algorithm of chatGPT is much more smarter than the algorithm of google. That’s from what I read. duckduckgo is basically a search engine with some Vpn features, not that smart.
Political correct or not correct is much dependent on the data inputs in the software and the algorithm of decision making. You can ask the software for instance:
Who is smarter? The black child or the white child?
What's that feeling, I know the AI can answer a PC question, but it can't because it's programmed that way.
It makes me feel pity for the things, like its intelligence is artificially limited.

I think they just have a problem with the doctored title claiming the whole projet as American which is not only flamebait but also factually wrong

voice-synthesis is actually one field that AI can do a near perfect job already.
Not the synthesizing but an intelligent conversation to respond to a spammer. Basically an AI spammer to counter a phone spammer.

Btw, that clip was insane

Did I mention China's AI in this thread? What I wanted to tell the OP is: The achievement was not made by Americans themselves. The OP just boasted like their achievement.

Aren't you being petty by nitpicking that all their employees may not have been born in the US? Are they supposed to be implementing some discrimination in hiring practice? We aren't implementing a "Han" vs the world mentality.

Where do you draw the line?

Can you claim Chinese "achievements" with cities of magnificent tall buildings where many of the tallest were designed by engineers/architects from the West?

High speed trains with their roots elsewhere?

So what exactly has any country achieved that is 100% on their own that they can boast about?

Great accomplishments are made by gathering great minds together. OpenAi (HQ in San Francisco) is going to hire people who submit them a résumé that appeals to them.

Last edited:
Not the synthesizing but an intelligent conversation to respond to a spammer. Basically an AI spammer to counter a phone spammer.

Btw, that clip was insane
Somehow I feel like scam callers are even happier about this tech. 😅

Now it is revealed that Generative Pre-trained Transformer 3 (GPT-3) model works well, I do not see why China cannot replicate it soon in the future.

The basics is already presented in numerous papers.

There are lots of mathematician in China.

What's that feeling, I know the AI can answer a PC question, but it can't because it's programmed that way.
It makes me feel pity for the things, like its intelligence is artificially limited.
No worry I think in one day AI will surpass human intelligence but not yet. Human brains have a capacity of 2TB. Every computer with a hard disc can surpass human brain. So in storage terms that’s not the problem.
The problem is how to copy human algorithm or how to copy human thinking and decision making. And then code in software. That’s extremely difficult.
Very interesting topic. you can read about how Google search engine works. From there you can assume how this chatGPT works. Assuming because the companies don’t reveal their secrets.

eh china 50 yrs ago was a fishing village while america has pretty much been declining since then. Another 50 yrs of demographic collapse of white population in america and america will be comparing with brazil and south africa lol

eh china 50 yrs ago was a fishing village

I'm glad you can acknowledge that important fact. They were in simple fishing villages riding around on bicycles while we had two Apollo astronauts driving around on the moon.
NASA-Moon-Buggy-Gear-GettyImages-1157144832.jpg

They didn't build all their cities and move into a modern world due to their great minds figuring it all out on their own overnight. :coffee:

Somebody's hand was there to show them the way..

Last edited:
I don't know what you're so excited about, @Hamartia Antidote. You and @F-22Raptor are going to be out of a job.

No more 50 cents for you, AI spambots will put you on the breadline. Oh, wait... you're in America, no breadline for you. You just starve.

I don't know what you're so excited about, @Hamartia Antidote. You and @F-22Raptor are going to be out of a job.

No more 50 cents for you, AI spambots will put you on the breadline. Oh, wait... you're in America, no breadline for you. You just starve.

LOL! This site is in the US and you are complaining about Americans being the spammers. The guy who started it was some US teen in Indianapolis.

admin.png

Now this site got spam-bombed by an unexpected flood of Chinese English speakers like you...and you are now crying about us suddenly being the spammers. LOL!

If he was originally targeting Chinese memberships this forum would be in Chinese not English.

Last edited:

The US is the wealthiest nation in human history Poobah. Highest median disposable income in the world with a GDP per capita of over $75K per year. Only a handful of nations with tiny populations exceed that.

The US keeps stacking wins while we drink your tears. Cope some more

The US is the wealthiest nation in human history Poobah. Highest median disposable income in the world with a GDP per capita of over $75K per year. Only a handful of nations with tiny populations exceed that.

The US keeps stacking wins while we drink your tears. Cope some more

Plus notice the flags of the clown. So much for China being the "place to be".
A lot of big talkers...but reality says different.

ChatGPT, from San Francisco-based OpenAI, has captivated the attention of users around the world, leading some to call it a turning point for AI. Photo: TNS

ChatGPT, from San Francisco-based OpenAI, has captivated the attention of users around the world, leading some to call it a turning point for AI. Photo: TNS

A group of Chinese artificial intelligence (AI) experts and investors say ChatGPT is a watershed moment for the technology, possibly akin to the 1969 moon landing, as the hype swirling around the viral chatbot developed by San Francisco-based start-up OpenAI continues to gather pace.

During a live-streamed panel discussion hosted by internet portal Sina.com, Yuan Jinghui, a computer scientist who founded the Beijing-based start-up OneFlow, and Duan Yitao, the chief scientist at NetEase-backed edtech start-up Youdao, mused on whether the moon landing comparison was apt. Given the leap in language capabilities, it does reach that level of importance, Yuan said.

“Generally speaking, only humans developed language capabilities … [that represent] the jewel atop the crown of human intelligence. And the natural language processing capability [demonstrated by ChatGPT] is the jewel atop the crown of artificial intelligence,” said Yuan.

Duan agreed that ChatGPT marked a huge step forward for AI development.

“I think there wasn’t much real artificial intelligence in any similar technologies [that preceded ChatGPT],” Duan said in the webinar. “Only [ChatGPT] coming to the fore nudged us one step closer to real AI”.

As has happened in many other countries, people in China have been captivated by the capabilities of ChatGPT since it was launched at the end of November. The chatbot, based on OpenAI’s GPT-3 language models, has proven adept at giving convincing and sometimes detailed answers to sophisticated prompts, although it also often gives answers full of factual inaccuracies.

“ChatGPT sometimes writes plausible-sounding but incorrect or nonsensical answers,” OpenAI acknowledged on its website at launch.

Despite its limitations, the popularity of ChatGPT has ignited an AI arms race. Microsoft, an investor in OpenAI, has started integrating the tech into its products, including the Bing search engine. Google announced a “code red” and raced to put out a similar product called Bard, although an early preview offered up an incorrect response that sent the company’s shares down 9 per cent on Wednesday.

Chinese tech giants have also thrown their hats into the ring. Baidu, a leading investor in AI tech in China, announced that it would launch its Ernie Bot in March. The announcement led investors to push the company’s Hong Kong-listed shares up by more than 13 per cent.

Chatbots have a rocky past in China, where sensitive political information, even if factual, is often unwelcome by authorities. Microsoft’s Chinese chatbot Xiaoice, launched a decade ago, was once pulled from Tencent Holdings’ QQ messaging app for saying its “Chinese dream” was “moving to the United States”.

Xiaoice was spun off into a separate company in 2020. Its CEO Li Di also joined the discussion on Sina.

By using a large-scale language model to learn decades of human knowledge, OpenAI has disrupted pessimistic views that there would be little AI development in the next few years because of technological bottlenecks, Li said.

Still, like Xiaoice before it, ChatGPT’s ability to riff on any topic has made some companies skittish. While OpenAI does not make its service available in China, a plethora of third party apps using its application programming interface (API) have sprung up, and some tech companies are cracking down.

Tencent’s WeChat has blocked multiple ChatGPT mini programs since the service launched.

One software developer, who declined to be named, said his colleagues launched a ChatGPT mini program on Wednesday only for WeChat to remove it about seven hours later.

A market for OpenAI accounts, which cannot be created using Chinese phone numbers, has also sprung up on e-commerce sites. Alibaba Group Holding’s Taobao showed dozens of listings for such accounts on Wednesday. By Thursday, searches for “ChatGPT” and “OpenAI” returned no results.

It was not clear whether Taobao blocked the searches on its own or whether it was requested by regulators. Taobao and Alibaba, owner of the South China Morning Post, did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Thursday.

Both hype and alarm may have exceeded ChatGPT’s capabilities, though. Shou Chong, a managing director at venture capital firm CCV, during the same panel discussion called the chatbot’s answers “mediocre”. He suggested that the real advancement would come when chatbots can offer insightful answers that do not just repeat information taken from elsewhere.

Xiaoice’s Li has also voiced concerns about cost. In December, Li told the National Business Daily that each ChatGPT query costs OpenAI a few US cents. “Hiring a human to handle queries might cost less,” he said.

Li also noted the trade-off between price and the quality of answers from massive language models. Although numerous large-scale models have been created, their practical applications are limited by high costs and latency, he said.

Basically this Chat GPT uses information on the net to give answers

They get it from website and this service will violate the right of the site owner who made the information on their website.

I rather like Google who will give us the access into many kind of website who will give the same answers

There is no revolutionary thing on this

I think they imitate Google engine who will give the simple answer on any question, Google will use the answer coming from the most popular site, and Google will also give the site where they gets the answer

This Chat GPT uses other people information and claim the information comes from them directly. There is right issue on this platform and soon or later will likely be sued by some one

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom