What's new

American attack aftermath: Pakistan declares attack a 'plot'

US vows full probe into Pakistan border incident

By ANDREW MIGA | AP

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Obama administration on Saturday pledged a full investigation into a NATO attack that allegedly killed 24 Pakistani troops.

[/I]

thank you sir we know soon we forget it and move on and USA know it too dont worry nothing is gonna happen its pakistan :lol:

ok after 5 times attacked what pakistan did for secure guys from air? nothing even after this bloody attack what pakistan did? nothing keep them on mercy of nato us? very nice if pakistan did something today apache was down .these companies have no any AA weapon even if they wake up what they can do is just run and hide ?
Again, after the bombs and missiles from choppers and/or jets were launched, the posts were pretty much destroyed - what weaponry in the PA's arsenal would detect and neutralize these missiles and bombs fired from across the border, in a matter of minutes, if not seconds?

The US is not going to vacate the base so nicely. Pakistan has to be really tough this time because the US does not take the Pakistani ultimatums seriously and you cannot blame them because the leaders of Pakistan do not follow through what they say.

Frankly speaking, I'm not interested in what the West says, I'm interested in how Pakistan reacts. 24/28 soldiers getting killed by NATO troops that violated Pakistani territory is not a joke, it is an act of war.

Frankly speaking, I'm not interested in what the West says, I'm interested in how Pakistan reacts. 24/28 soldiers getting killed by NATO troops that violated Pakistani territory is not a joke, it is an act of war.

Karan1970 and Nelson Bharatis worried about the official apology or fake apology something important for them. What the hell? Do we care about their apology?

What we seek for Pakistan is to response 30 helicopters shoot down equally.

Complete definition of apology
a written or spoken expression of one's regret, remorse, or sorrow for having insulted, failed, injured, or wronged another

Even I regret the loss of life here.. Does not mean I am apologizing..

Here's another complete definition of an apology:

A formal, public statement of regret, such as one issued by a newspaper, government, or other organization.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=10....,cf.osb&fp=76c64cffaeed964&biw=1857&bih=1139

Anyways, I couldn't care less if he apologized or not. This act is beyond apologies.

Again, after the bombs and missiles from choppers and/or jets were launched, the posts were pretty much destroyed - what weaponry in the PA's arsenal would detect and neutralize these missiles and bombs fired from across the border, in a matter of minutes, if not seconds?

A cheesy smile from Mr. Ten Percent!

really pakistani forces losing every thing they are doing noting since 10 years they are hiding being killed and more killed thats all they done . never seen they reply to nato us if you guys are so scared of them then why we have forces let public do some thing like afghan taliban

Deadly intrusion: Pakistan inflamed as 24 killed in NATO strike

http://i1.tribune.com.pk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/298377-Deadlyintrusiondesignsamadsiddiqui-1322343066-523-640x480.JPG
Government blocks NATO supply routes US told to vacate Shamsie Airbase in 15 days All ties with ISAF/NATO/US to be ‘reviewed’ Civil, military leaders lash out at the provocation. DESIGN: SAMAD SIDDIQUI

PESHAWAR/ISLAMABAD: For possibly the first time, the intensity of the official response matched the shock of the event.

Airstrikes by Nato jets and helicopters on Pakistani military outposts along the border with Afghanistan left at least 24 soldiers dead and 14 injured early Saturday morning. And by Saturday evening, Pakistan’s top civil and military leadership struck a crescendo in its response.

The United States has been told to evacuate a logistically key airbase it operates in Balochistan – Shamsie Airbase – within 15 days. In addition, Pakistan’s fury was driven home with an official statement that it will shut down Nato supply routes operating through its territory – something that has happened for the first time, though supply routes have previously been temporarily blocked unofficially following similar attacks.

The decisions came following a meeting of the high-powered cabinet committee on defence – a panel that includes the prime minister, the service chiefs and key ministers.

The move to block the supply routes comes “in accordance with the resolution of the Joint Session of the Parliament of 14 May, 2011,” a statement issued after the meeting said.

Though the official statement came in the evening, the move to block supplies came a lot earlier. Authorities in Khyber Agency and Balochistan had already shut down Nato supply routes earlier in the day.

To further accentuate its anger over the incident, a statement by the committee also said that the government will revisit and undertake a complete review of all programmes, activities and cooperative arrangements with the US/Nato/Isaf, including diplomatic, political, military and intelligence-sharing.

Speaking to The Express Tribune on condition of anonymity, a US official said the demand to vacate Shamsi Airbase had not yet been sent through “official channels.”

What happened

The incident, which was one of the deepest-ever Nato attacks, occurred some two kilometres inside Pakistani territory.

It remains unclear what exactly happened, but the attack took place around 2 am in the Baezai area of Mohmand Agency. A security official in Peshawar told The Express Tribune that the attack targeted two security outposts in the Salala area of the Baezai tehsil. The official went on to identify the outposts as “Boulder” and “Volcano”.

The official also confirmed that two officers, including a major and captain, were killed in the attack. The officers were identified as Major Mujahid and Captain Usman. Tribal sources said that the Salala area is situated close to the Pak-Afghan border, some 55 kilometres northwest of Mohmand Agency headquarters Ghalaani.

“This time their jets also intruded … which is more alarming. They actually attacked two check posts,” an army official said. When asked why Pakistan failed to intercept the intruding aircraft, he said the distance between the border and the check posts was just two kilometres and they had managed to complete their operation within seconds.

NATO’s response

“Close air support was called in, in the development of the tactical situation, and it is what highly likely caused the Pakistan casualties,” said General Carsten Jacobson, spokesman for the International Security Assistance Force (Isaf). He added that he could not confirm the number of casualties, but Isaf is investigating the “tragic development”.

“We are aware that Pakistani soldiers perished. We don’t know the size, the magnitude,” he said. The commander of Nato-led forces in Afghanistan, General John R Allen, said he offers his condolences to the family of any Pakistani soldiers who “may have been killed or injured”.

US expresses regret

US Ambassador Cameron Munter regretted the lives lost in the attack. In a short statement issued by the US embassy, he said, “I have seen press accounts of an incident on the Pak-Afghan border in which Pakistani soldiers were reportedly killed. I regret the loss of life of any Pakistani serviceman, and pledge that the United States will work closely with Pakistan to investigate this incident.”

Points to be noted

The attack came a few hours after a meeting between the commanders of forces on both sides of the border — Commander Isaf General Allen, and Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani. The meeting discussed border control and enhanced cooperation.

Speaking to the media, Pakistan military spokespersons said that the excuse that the aircraft were chasing militants was feeble, given that the area in question had been cleared of militants and hideouts.

Published in The Express Tribune, November 27th, 2011.

Factbox: NATO supply routes into Afghanistan – some facts

298342-natooiltankerAFP-1322372635-842-640x480.jpg

Nato declined to give details of how shipments through Pakistan are divided between the routes.

KABUL: There are two routes into Afghanistan from Pakistan, one across the Khyber Pass to the Afghan border town of Torkham and on to Kabul. The other goes through Balochistan to the border town of Chaman and on to the Afghan city of Kandahar.

Between them, these two routes account for just under one third of all cargo that the Nato-led International Security Assistance Force (Isaf) ships into Afghanistan.

Just over one-third of all cargo goes on routes dubbed the “northern distribution network” through Central Asia, and the Caucasus or Russia. The remaining 31% is flown in.

Nato declined to give details of how the shipments through Pakistan are divided between the two routes, but a spokesman said the figures likely change each month.

Some imported supplies for the fledgling Afghan armed forces, which the United States and its allies are building up, also come through the Pakistani routes.

What’s changed

As recently as July, the balance of supplies transiting through Pakistan and the northern distribution network were weighted in Pakistan’s favour, with slightly more than half of ground-transported supplies arriving through Khyber or Chaman.

After disruptions, Nato-led forces decided to push supply networks away from reliance on Pakistan. The US has decided that only 25% of ground cargo should arrive via Pakistan. This was done with the goal of “reducing reliance on any single line of communication to avoid any unnecessary vulnerabilities should that network become unavailable”, according to an Isaf spokeswoman.

Two cross-border attacks by Nato aircraft in autumn 2010, that killed three Pakistani soldiers, closed one supply route through Pakistan for several days. Nato apologised for the incident which it said happened when its gunships mistook warning shots by the Pakistani forces for a militant attack.

In April a rally on a key highway by thousands of people against drone strikes again closed the supply route briefly.

The routes through Pakistan, particularly the northern one, are also vulnerable to insurgent attacks. In May a bomb on a Nato fuel truck killed at least 16 people in the Khyber area.

The alternatives

The northern distribution network threads through either Russia or the Caucasus, across the Central Asian states of Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan and then into northern Afghanistan. It is largely used to bring commercial-type cargo – described by Isaf as “sustainment items like food and spare parts” to troops serving in Afghanistan.

Afghanistan also has a border with Turkmenistan, Tajikistan and China – but that is too remote and high-altitude to make a major transit route. What would be a convenient and cheap link through Iran’s port of Chabahar to western Afghanistan is ruled out by hostility between Tehran and Washington.

Published in The Express Tribune, November 27th, 2011.

There are 2 supply routes through Pakistan for NATO: one through Chaman for Southern Afghanistan, & through Torkham for Central & Northern Afghanistan. Both have been closed off.

Definition of an apology:

Apology - A formal, public statement of regret
Thank you for this kind enlightenment. I fail to find his statement where he regretted. If being sorry for the dead is an apology for you then I'm fine with that. I wish there was a clear apology rather than playing with the words.

Post # 964 and Post # 969

964 is by character dheela and 969 is by T-Rex. I didn't see any apology by US in those posts.

I think, it is massive consquences attack by NATO maybe due to some reasons.

The reason possible is gas pipelines deal with Iran, TAPI, and otherwise China/Pakistan recent military exercises.

Back
Top Bottom