What's new

All About ICC Champions Trophy 2009

Who do you think will win the ICC Champion's Trophy 2009

• Total voters
I think Tenda and Dravid will do it if India has to win.

we've been just managing to win without sehwag...his teaming up with Gambhir on top makes for a very very aggressive opening partnership...tendya and co. just feast on their fruits later on...
with the kind of bowling attack yours is shaping upto be...I would not be too optimistic about our chances..

Well, if Asif is back with a bang for Rana Naved.. there really is no hope for you. But i think he will need time to be back in the rhythm.

Well, if Asif is back with a bang for Rana Naved.. there really is no hope for you. But i think he will need time to be back in the rhythm.
let's see....anyone can become a hero in an india-Pak match.

Fully agree with Ian here. Pakistan is the most unpredictable team in the world. On their day they can give a cricket lesson to even the world's best. I have always been a fan of Pakistani fast bowling from the days of wasim and waqar. Even today you have some good faster bowlers.

On the other hand, lagta hai Garry ke suggestion ke baad Yuvi kuch jyada he khus ho gaya, yaha tak ki apne aap ko injured kar lia.:cheesy:

Well Kirsten only advised the Indian cricket team to have sex, but he forgot to tell about the tool , Yuvi in over excitement injured his fingure.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Keep Asif on the benches he is fine there dont bring him in a big game. Pakistan has a good chance to be in the semis because we have a good average at the moment. I think India and Australia will not be able to beat westindies with in 30 overs.

I think India and Australia will not be able to beat westindies with in 30 overs.

very good point.

We also need to keep in mind that WI can deliver a shock now that they have gone through a few matches as a unit.

We have seen a weak Bangladesh team beat Pakistan and Aus in big tournaments before.

Younis fit for crunch tie

Friday, September 25, 2009
From our correspondent

JOHANNESBURG: Skipper Younis Khan has been declared fit to lead Pakistan in crucial match against India at Centurion on Saturday.

"He has started training from Wednesday evening and is ready to lead the team against India. Though he is not a hundred percent fit, he is very keen to be a part of the important match. He has been cleared to play against India," coach Intikhab Alam told 'The News'.

He said that Younis was feeling no pain in the fractured finger. "He has got a big heart and was even ready to play the opening match against West Indies with the fractured finger. Since we wanted to get fitter Younis for the match against India he was rested for the opening match. On Saturday he would be there to lead the team."

Younis had his nets even on Thursday and was seen practising with ease. "I am feeling quite comfortable now and that was why I requested the management that I wanted to be a part of the match. Playing against India is a special thing and I cannot wait outside the field. I think I am in a much better position now. If there is any discomfort it is too little to notice. When I start batting I feel absolutely no discomfort," Younis said.

Younis fit for crunch tie

Pacer undergoes dope test

LAHORE: Mohammad Asif, the Pakistan fast bowler, was taken for an ICC dope test during a team practice session in Johannesburg on Thursday. Asif has tested positive twice before for the steroid nandrolone, once at the inaugural IPL last year, and ironically, once just before the last Champions Trophy in India in 2006.

His inclusion in the Pakistan squad for this tournament is his first involvement with the team in over a year and it comes only after he completed a one-year ban on September 22 for the IPL offence.

"Asif has been taken for a dope test by the ICC," a member of the team management told Cricinfo. "It is nothing out of the ordinary and in keeping with their doping procedures at all such tournaments."

It is likely that Asif's test is part of the ICC's doping policy of target-testing some players in addition to the regular random testing, a practice they began at the 2007 World Cup in the Caribbean. Even then it was thought to be aimed at Pakistan, who had included Shoaib Akhtar and Asif in their squad, months after they tested positive in tests conducted by the PCB just before the 2006 Champions Trophy (they were given bans after the test, but had them overturned on appeal).

The pair were eventually pulled out at the last minute and though the PCB denied it, it was widely believed that the board was worried that levels of nandrolone in their body had not receded to legal levels.

This was Asif's first training session with the Pakistan side, as he was not allowed to train with them until the ban was completed. He was not included in the XI for Pakistan's five-wicket win over the West Indies in their tournament opener and it is not yet sure whether he will play in the big one against India on Saturday. As per normal practice, two other Pakistan players were tested before their first game.

Pacer undergoes dope test

Former stars blast senior batsmen

KARACHI: Pakistan's struggle to beat West Indies in their Champions Trophy Group A match on Wednesday has led again to demands to drop senior batsmen from the limited-overs side.

Former Pakistan players criticised the performance in Johannesburg as Pakistan made heavy weather of chasing down 134 against an under-strength West Indies team, losing five wickets on the way.

Pakistan's experienced trio of Shoaib Malik, Mohammad Yousuf and Misbah-ul-Haq fell cheaply, and it was the young Umar Akmal (41 not out) and captain Shahid Afridi (17) who guided them home in them 31st over.

"It's time the senior batsmen should say goodbye," former Pakistan captain Ramiz Raja told the GEO Super. "It looked as if they don't have bats in their hands. They looked like novices while Akmal batted with much more maturity."

Yousuf, 35, has struggled in the one-day format since his back-to-back centuries against weaker opponents - Zimbabwe and Bangladesh - at home last year. He has scored just one half century since then in 16 ODIs.

Aamir Sohail, another former captain, believed the experienced batsmen were not playing for the team. "They are playing for their survival, they have always struggled on the wicket where there's seem movement," he said.

Pakistan's next match is against India on Saturday, before they take on defending champions Australia in their last group match on September 30.

Former stars blast senior batsmen

OFFICIAL PREVIEW

a63353ebaacfc355767e7ad56636d8e2.jpg

Vs

Big picture
India and Pakistan will not be playing on an island. Unlike usual India-Pakistan matches, separate events within a big event, oblivious of the larger picture of the tournament, this clash gains in importance from the tight draw. From the general buzz around the match, it doesn't seem the usual matter of life and death, not a parallel Champions Trophy within the Champions Trophy. Not yet at least.

Still the importance of the match, first big clash of the Champions Trophy in terms of traditional rivals coming face to face, can't be overlooked. Pakistan, who have been more vocal in setting up the match (Shahid Afridi, Umar Gul and Younis Khan have been quoted on how badly they want to beat India), will know only net run-rate can keep them out of semi-finals if they win this match. India, blighted by injuries to Yuvraj Singh, Virender Sehwag and Zaheer Khan, have a year and a half of good work done in ODIs to defend. A loss in their opening match will leave them needing to beat Australia and possibly run-rate calculations to go their way.

The build-up for this match, though, has been different from the last time the two teams met at the same venue, in the 2003 World Cup. Sachin Tendulkar then lived the match a year in advance. Everywhere he went, he was reminded of the match. He said he couldn't sleep properly for 12 nights leading into the game. March 1 was a day people of two countries lived for. If you had asked Tendulkar of this match six months ago, he would have - rightly - not known of any such fixture. Before March 1, 2003, the teams had not played each other for three years. In last three years now, they have played 17 ODIs, six Tests and two Twenty20s.

Hype or no hype, once the match begins, Centurion - and the rest of world, wherever the match is telecast - will be engrossed. Albeit slowly, the atmosphere will build. It can't be such a bad thing if a cricket match is a cricket match and not a war.

Form guide
(last five completed matches, most recent first)

India - WLWWL

Coming off a tri-series win in slow-and-low Sri Lanka, they will need to quickly adjust to livelier pitches in South Africa. Centurion, though, has assisted spin and makes for a smooth transition.

Pakistan - WWWLL

The bowling unit looks almost perfect, as it showed in the win over West Indies. Batting is the weak link, and they need bigger contributions from senior batsmen.

Team news
Gautam Gambhir and Younis are fit and ready. But for India the good news is offset immediately by the injury to Yuvraj. They should go with the same batting line-up that won in Sri Lanka, except for Gambhir replacing Yuvraj and Rahul Dravid moving down the order. They will be tempted to play two spinners at SuperSport Park, which has brought much joy to Ajantha Mendis and Roelof van der Merwe in the first two matches. The bowling has been cause of worry for India, and those last three slots will be the most discussed.

India (probable) 1 Gautam Gambhir, 2 Sachin Tendulkar, 3 Rahul Dravid, 4 Suresh Raina, 5 MS Dhoni (capt/wk), 6 Virat Kohli/Dinesh Karthik, 7 Yusuf Pathan, 8 Harbhajan Singh, 9, 10 and 11 three out of Ishant Sharma, RP Singh, Ashish Nehra and Amit Mishra.

Who does Younis replace? Misbah-ul-Haq seems the most likely candidate; Umar Akmal would like to think he has earned another match after his Man-of-the-Match performance against West Indies. There seems no need to tinker with the bowling combination.

Pakistan (probable) 1 Imran Nazir, 2 Kamran Akmal (wk), 3 Younis Khan (capt.), 4 Shoaib Malik, 5 Mohammad Yousuf, 6 Umar Akmal, 7 Shahid Afridi, 8 Rana Naved-ul-Hasan, 9 Mohammad Aamer, 10 Umar Gul, 11 Saeed Ajmal

Watch out for...
Pakistan bowlers v Indian batsmen: As has so often been the case, this is the deciding mini contest. Pakistan have three different kinds of fast bowlers, and two different kinds of spinners, who will need a perfect show from opposition batsmen, if they are to be outdone.

Gautam Gambhir and Shahid Afridi Last checked they had to be physically separated from a mid-pitch altercation, in Kanpur. Since then Afridi has become a different man, so mature he seems almost possessed. Will he able to keep his calm when he comes to bowl to Gambhir? Will Gambhir survive for that long?

Sachin Tendulkar and Mohammad Aamer Tendulkar knows all about pressure, playing Pakistan, and playing Pakistan in pressure games. Will he try to bully and unsettle a 17-year-old opening the bowling against him?

MS Dhoni and Younis Khan Two men seemingly above negative emotion and most likely to stay composed in tense circumstances, and rightly the captains. Are they too cool for an India-Pakistan match?

Stats and trivia

* Pakistan have beaten India only once in an ICC tournament, in the 2004 Champions Trophy. India have won in the World Cups in 1992, 1996, 1999 and 2003, and also twice in the 2007 World Twenty20.

* Umar Akmal, Mohammad Aamer and Fawad Alam have never played India in an international. Neither have Virat Kohli, Amit Mishra and Abhishek Nayar played Pakistan.

* Tendulkar, with 2381 runs to his name, is 22 short of Inzamam-ul-Haq's record aggregate in India-Pakistan matches. In current teams, Dravid (1823) and Afridi (1404) are the other leading run-getters.

Quotes

"I was told four weeks rest but I want to take my chance tomorrow, playing against India. Maybe if it wasn't India I would've skipped this match"
Younis Khan forgets his injury to take on traditional rivals

Last edited:
Gautam Gambhir and Shahid Afridi Last checked they had to be physically separated from a mid-pitch altercation, in Kanpur. Since then Afridi has become a different man, so mature he seems almost possessed. Will he able to keep his calm when he comes to bowl to Gambhir? Will Gambhir survive for that long?

And a reminder as to what that was

DISCLAIMER: Not suitable for some people - vulgar and offensive language.

:rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom