What's new

Akinci & Aksungur and Turkish Unmanned Fighter Aircraft Program

Final form of Cats ? And below pic has lots of it....looks like already passed prototype phase...What are they gonna do with this much FLIR.....since ANKA is not ready, they would be for T-129 ? (my assumption)

Looks different from that pic...I think, Bismark also spotted the difference...But it should be CATS, final form.

The one on picture has 4 windows. Aselflir-235 has 7. But as you say, maybe not the final form.

and you must goto TEI and take the course. If you want to ride a horse you dont buy a horse.

Bro, Anka-S is not in service and will not be for some time. The engine TEI developed is for Anka-S, I'm guessing that they produced some of those engines to train air force maintenance teams, hence being handed over to TSK, as is stated in the link. Like I stated in previous post, I'm assuming this. Link could be erroneous, they may have meant TAI.. Or, perhaps TSK is changing out TEI modified Thielert engine with TEI engine, which to me, sounds like the most fishiest option..

Bro, Anka-S is not in service and will not be for some time. The engine TEI developed is for Anka-S, I'm guessing that they produced some of those engines to train air force maintenance teams, hence being handed over to TSK, as is stated in the link. Like I stated in previous post, I'm assuming this. Link could be erroneous, they may have meant TAI.. Or, perhaps TSK is changing out TEI modified Thielert engine with TEI engine, which to me, sounds like the most fishiest option..

The thing is, you can make reverse-engineering on Thielert engine and nobody will care. Except China, but we all know that China doesn't really care on intellectual property! Make copy as much as you can!

The thing is, you can make reverse-engineering on Thielert engine and nobody will care. Except China, but we all know that China doesn't really care on intellectual property! Make copy as much as you can!

No, the thing is Thielert is a company that bought stock Mercedes engines and modified them to be airworthy. Thielert was not doing something technologically impressive, hence why TEI modified a Thielert modified Mercedes engine to achieve greater performance.. TEI has since developed their own engine, they may have gone Thielert route of buying stock engine and modifying it, or, they may have reverse engineered a stock engine and have thus completely removed foreign reliance.

Two Anka with SATCOM.
2isun8l.jpg

Last edited:
SHEPHARD MEDIA
Last month the MALE UAV performed its longest flight yet – spending more than 26 hours in the air. It also reached its highest altitude to date, a height of 30,250 feet. Both these measurements exceeded required specifications.

One other milestone was the first test with a synthetic aperture radar (SAR) that was built by Aselsan especially for the Anka-S for both ground and maritime surveillance, according to Erol Oğuz, avionics systems and software manager of TAI’s UAV systems department.

The Anka-S has a 17.3m wingspan, so only a scale model was displayed by TAI at DSA 2016. With a 200kg payload capacity, it will feature FLIR’s Star SAFIRE EO/IR, a Turkish-built high-definition camera and the aforementioned SAR/ground moving target indicator. In addition, it will have an air traffic control radio to allow flights in civilian airspace.

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/uv-online/dsa-2016-anka-s-achieves-milestones/

Last edited:
SHEPHARD MEDIA
Last month the MALE UAV performed its longest flight yet – spending more than 26 hours in the air. It also reached its highest altitude to date, a height of 30,250 feet. Both these measurements exceeded required specifications.

One other milestone was the first test with a synthetic aperture radar (SAR) that was built by Aselsan especially for the Anka-S for both ground and maritime surveillance, according to Erol Oğuz, avionics systems and software manager of TAI’s UAV systems department.

The Anka-S has a 17.3m wingspan, so only a scale model was displayed by TAI at DSA 2016. With a 200kg payload capacity, it will feature FLIR’s Star SAFIRE EO/IR, a Turkish-built high-definition camera and the aforementioned SAR/ground moving target indicator. In addition, it will have an air traffic control radio to allow flights in civilian airspace.

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/uv-online/dsa-2016-anka-s-achieves-milestones/

"it will feature FLIR’s Star SAFIRE EO/IR, " ?

"it will feature FLIR’s Star SAFIRE EO/IR, " ?
This needs to be confirmed...but when you look at the weight of the both systems. Star SAFIRE III: 10 KG, ASELSAN CATS: 60 KG.

Now i realized brochure says:

TFU Weight <98 lbs (<44 kg)
CEU Weight 23.0 lbs (10.4 kg)

So, it makes 54.4 kg, i guess...maybe Aselsan couldn't keep up with the schedule of ANKA.....that said, we saw serial production Aselsan CATS a few days ago......something fishy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Star SAFIRE III Features
  • Multi-mission capable
  • High-resolution color spotter scope
  • Matched multi-FOV optics
  • Image intensified low-light camera
  • Image blending
  • Reliable 24/7 operation
  • Optimized usability
  • Multiple laser payloads
  • Maintain Star SAFIRE family compatibility
  • Commercially developed, MIL qualified

Sensor type 640 x 512 InSb focal plane array
Wavelength 3-5 μm response
FOVs 25° to 0.35°
(Matched to IR FOVs)
Zoom ratio 71x
COLOR ZOOM CAMERA (OPTIONAL)
Sensor type Color CCD-TV
Resolution 525 / 625 line (NTSC/PAL)
FOVs 28° to 2.7°
Zoom ratio 18x (+12x E-Zoom)
SPOTTER SCOPE (OPTIONAL)
Sensor type 3-chip Color CCD
Resolution 800 line
FOVs 5.4° to 0.29°
LOW-LIGHT CAMERA (OPTIONAL)
Sensor type Image intensified
FOVs 5.4° to 0.7°
(Matched to IR FOVs)
LASER PAYLOADS (OPTIONAL)
Rangefinder Max. range 25 km +/-5 m
Classification Class 1 (eyesafe)
Illuminator Power 1 W or 2 W options
Classification Class 4
Pointer Power 100 mW
Classification Class 3b
DIGITAL IMU/GPS+ (OPTIONAL)
Tightly-coupled, fully-integrated, IMU and GPS for geo-pointing and target geo-location
SYSTEM PERFORMANCE
System type 5 axis stabilization
Az. coverage 360° continuous
El. coverage +30° to -120°
Airspeed 405 KIAS
SYSTEM INTERFACES
Analog video NTSC/PAL
Control RS-232, RS-422, Ergonomic Laptop or Handheld
Data RS-232, RS-422, ARINC 419/429, MIL-STD-1553B
ENVIRONMENTAL
Standards MIL-STD-810E and MIL-STD-461F
Operating temperature -40°C to 55°C
POWER REQUIREMENTS
Voltage 22-29 VDC (per MIL-STD-704E)
Consumption 200 W (650 W max)
DIMENSIONS, WEIGHT & MOUNTING
TFU Size 15.0” x 17.5” (380 mm x 450 mm)
CEU Size 10.0” x 7.5” x 12.5” (254 mm x 191 mm x 318 mm)
Mounting compatible with UltraMedia and SAFIRE systems
OTHER OPTIONS & ACCESSORIES
Automatic Target Tracker, Navigation/Radar Interfaces, Quick-Disconnect Mounts,
Displays and Recorders, Moving Map Systems, Video Downlinks

Is the shape of the Anka with SATCOM going to be different from the older versions?
Looking at those pictures with the sattelite dish it looks as if the nose would have to be bulb shaped rather than flat?

Pakistan should produce them locallly as Pakistan aeronautical Complex is helping TAI in manufacturing of Anka parts

This needs to be confirmed...but when you look at the weight of the both systems. Star SAFIRE III: 10 KG, ASELSAN CATS: 60 KG.

Now i realized brochure says:

So, it makes 54.4 kg, i guess...maybe Aselsan couldn't keep up with the schedule of ANKA.....that said, we saw serial production Aselsan CATS a few days ago......something fishy.

Maybe achievements by Baykar pushed TAI to scrap certain aspects to push the project on and deliver?

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom