What's new

Akinci & Aksungur and Turkish Unmanned Fighter Aircraft Program

TEI 550 HP Turboprop, we still dont know status of development.
550-jpg.490886

What is a drone without an engine? A very expensive toy.
I just see Engines as replaceable parts, Thats why I wrote it. For example T129 now has American engine, does it make the T129 a Turkish-American project? No, we just brought engine and we will replace it with Turkish TS1500 soon. We can do that as we wish.
Or JF-17 has russian engine, does it make it a Chinese-Pakistani-Russian project?
Ukraine gave the best offer for Akinci's engine but they don't really have any right on Akinci project, we can use another engine and they can't object. Because all IP rights of Akıncı belongs to Turkey.
This was my logic, other than that I am not trying to undermine Ukraine's engines. I'm aware engine technology is crucial.
Or it might be just my Turkish pride, but still this is my logic.

Last edited:
I just see Engines as replaceable parts, Thats why I wrote it. For example T129 now has American engine, does it make the T129 a Turkish-American project? No, we just brought engine and we will replace it with Turkish TS1500 soon. We can do that as we wish.
Or JF-17 has russian engine, does it make it a Chinese-Pakistani-Russian project?
Ukraine gave the best offer for Akinci's engine but they don't really have any right on Akinci project, we can use another engine and they can't object.
This was my logic, other than that I am not trying to undermine Ukraine's engines. I'm aware engine technology is crucial.
You are right completely i just want to add that just like engine every other part is relevant as well maybe @Bismarck has right when he says that without engine a drone is an expensive toy but why then ukraine or any other state(france germany uk by the way i know about french and euro drone project but still they haven’t produced similar drone to akinci or reaper Mq-9) that has engines and produce a drone (of course i am excluding us and china) even a military super power like russia doesn’t have at the moment(their beast okhotnik will be ready in 2025) also everyone is appreciating ukraine’s help and have big respect for their engine industry i can understand that engine is the hardest thing to produce with indigenous capabilities but what’s a combat drone with engine but without critical indigenous mission computer or weapons? or without all the necessary sigint elint eguipment?
By the way ukraine is not the only source we could’ve offered AKINCI to russia but they could make problems if they asked for technology transfer of certain parts that they need the situation with ukraine is clear they need this beast as soon as possible we need it too so it’s a win win for both sides ukraine is the best option because they won’t blackmail us nor we are going to blackmail them it is sincere partnership based on common interests in the future when their drone industry develops in the right direction then it would be very logic then to ask for transfer technology not now

Last edited:
Ukraine gave the best offer for Akinci's engine but they don't really have any right on Akinci project, we can use another engine and they can't object. Because all IP rights of Akıncı belongs to Turkey.
lol it's like telling Swedish people that gripen is an american-italian-british-german and french plane.

Who could assure us that besides the engine entire all parts were designed just by Turkish institutions.? Ukraine doesn't produce just engines the country does produce the aircrafts. I would love to see resources which would claim there were any ukrainian contribution on avionics.

lol it's like telling Swedish people that gripen is an american-italian-british-german and french plane.
As long as Sweeden produces the engine they can be proud of national product. İf the engine were imported the success would be deprived.
RM12%2Bjtr.jpg

Last edited:
Who could assure us that besides the engine entire all parts were designed just by Turkish institutions. Ukraine doesn't produce just engines the country does produce the aircrafts. I would love to see resources which would claim there were any ukrainian contribution on avionics.
In current Bayraktar TB2's; 93% of Bayraktar TB2 is Turkish made... Only flir and engine of Bayraktar TB2 is foreign right now.
In Anka's; both flir (CATS of Aselsan) and engine (PD-170 of TEI) is Turkish too. So Anka's indigenousness is very close to 100%
Akinci will use CATS too so only crucial part that we couldn't produce for Akinci is Turboprop engines...
Ukraine produces planes thanks to Soviet legacy but they don't have any experience about UAV's... Robotic UCAV's are a very recent technology. So I don't see any parts except Engine that Turkey would like to got from Ukraine.
http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/ekonomi/bayraktar-sihalarda-yerlilik-orani-yuzde-93-41148978
Of course, Turkish-Ukrainian partnership has a great potential but I don't think Ukraine has anything to offer for Akinci. Tank armours and some special ammunitions are different. Ukraine has so many technologies to offer Turkish State.

As long as Sweeden produces the engine they can be proud of national product. İf the engine were imported the success would be deprived.
RM12%2Bjtr.jpg
Volvo RM-12 is a modified version of General Electric F404... We will assemble Ukraine's engines in Turkey too thanks to Blacksea Shield Institutes. But still AI-450C is belongs to Ukraine just like RM-12 of Volvo is an American engine.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Even so its not really important because at the end of the day SOM is just subsonic missile for anti-ship role what neeeded nowadays is supersonic+ speeds.

With its sea skimming capability, is SOM being sub-sonic that big a deal?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom