What's new

Akinci & Aksungur and Turkish Unmanned Fighter Aircraft Program

Well that is what i am thinking, 2020 akinci with AESA radar. So ther must be a radar.

Haluk Bayraktar just talked about the capabilities of the platform, and what could be done etc. I believe that there will be weather radar on the nose. AESA? Lol, even our F-16s don't have AESA. And i don't see anywhere developed AESA. Aselsan is probably working hard on AESA, but i don't think that it's development will be finished anytime soon.

Haluk Bayraktar just talked about the capabilities of the platform, and what could be done etc. I believe that there will be weather radar on the nose. AESA? Lol, even our F-16s don't have AESA. And i don't see anywhere developed AESA. Aselsan is probably working hard on AESA, but i don't think that it's development will be finished anytime soon.

Aselsan developed AESA radar for tf-2000 destroyer, which means they can also develop one for jets or UAVs.
But Turkey need to get approval of US to install AESA radar on F16. I think, thats why they came up with this idea, as it might take some years.. there is a reason why US approved to sell AESA radar to Greece F16 out of nowhere, especially when they dont even offer it to close allies.. they probably got intelligence that Turkey already developed the technology..

I thought Baykar was working on MIUS (drone with jet-engine) and TAI was working on Akinci.

This basicly means that Baykar is working on both MIUS and Akinci. What drone is TAI working on then?

@cabatli_53

As i know, Tai will develop Anka-2 which will be equipped with 2 PD170 turboprop engine.. they will develop and sell it to Indonesia and Malasia, and other countries later..
IMG_3399.JPG

Aselsan developed AESA radar for tf-2000 destroyer, which means they can also develop one for jets or UAVs.
Well, It doesn't work like that. But yes Aselsan is working on AESA radar for a long time, and seems like it will take some more.

Well, It doesn't work like that. But yes Aselsan is working on AESA radar for a long time, and seems like it will take some more.

Actually it works exactly like that.. once you finish the development of AESA radar, you can produce it in different size for different ranges..
The only difference with jets might be is they can do their best to bring down the weight which AESA radar itself is way light than previous radars.. but there are some work going on to develop it with 3D production to get better performance

Actually it works exactly like that.. once you finish the development of AESA radar, you can produce it in different size for different ranges..
Oh i thought that you meant "we can take from naval asset and put it on plane" lol. Yes Aselsan has the technology, and they are developing AESA for planes, i don't expect them to finish development process anytime soon. But i believe that they will put successful product at the end.

I thought Baykar was working on MIUS (drone with jet-engine) and TAI was working on Akinci.

This basicly means that Baykar is working on both MIUS and Akinci. What drone is TAI working on then?

@cabatli_53

Most probably, Drone programs were given to Bayraktar, While manned trainer/fighter programs stay in TAI. That makes sense to build platforms quicker. A Special private company working solely unmanned aircraft systems can reveal auch strategic products in time when compared with complex companies like TAI working on many different projects from satellites, to trainers, fighters...etc

Why they are using a lot of engines ? Every project will need two engine ? This will cost a lot

Specs for Akıncı doesn't seem impressive. MQ-9 has a single 900hp engine but has a higher MTOW, payload capacity and service ceiling. IAI Eitan has 2,700kg payload with a 1200 hp engine.

Specs for Akıncı doesn't seem impressive. MQ-9 has a single 900hp engine but has a higher MTOW, payload capacity and service ceiling. IAI Eitan has 2,700kg payload with a 1200 hp engine.
Fully loaded MQ-9 has 14hours endurance (with 1.8t fuel for 900hp) while Akıncı has 24hours undurance with 1100hp. Also i can argue that Akıncı's cruise speed is much bigger than MQ-9s if we consider wing shape.

It seems like Army prefered long endurance+speed over payload capacity and service ceiling. (Btw operational altitute for MQ-9 is 25k feet, so 50k feet service ceiling is not so useful for them)

In theory, Akıncı may have 1.5 tonnes external payload capacity with less fuel that may give 10+ hours endurance.

They have advantage over Turkish version that they use only one engine instead of using two engines like Turkey which is obviously heavier but the fact is nobody sell those engines to Turkey..

Its a stop gap option for Turkey until they develop their own engine, which will probably come after this project as Turkey produced recently PD170 after Anka project..

Aselsan Mobile Search Radar is AESA and is already in service. There are multiple other projects going for airborne AESA based systems, like for Hava-SOJ and the TF-X radar. CAFRAD is being tested this year. What you should be laughing at is the idea that they're going to develop an armed heavy MALE UAV just to put a weather radar on its nose. lol.

Back
Top Bottom