What's new

Airlines from 3 more countries comply with China's ADIZ rules

Let me guess, you believe that indicated airspeed and ground speed must agree? :lol:

But never mind that little technical error on your part. The issue here is the difference between IAF 655 and KAL 007 and which situation is most likely to happen in this new Chinese ADIZ. See post 41 on why I think a 'KAL 007'.
The KAL 007 due to incompetence entered Soviet airspace, not once, but twice without identifying themselves. I am sure most civil airlines are smarter, well maybe not the korean ones.

Last time I checked PLAAF has not shoot down any airlines. Now you gonna tell me they never ID aircraft before? :P

The KAL 007 due to incompetence entered Soviet airspace, not once, but twice without identifying themselves. I am sure most civil airlines are smarter, well maybe not the korean ones.

Last time I checked PLAAF has not shoot down any airlines. Now you gonna tell me they never ID aircraft before? :P
Keyword search for you 'nasa kal 007 747 navigation error'. The Russians finally turned over the data recorders from KAL 007 and a real technical analysis was performed. It revealed that the navigation error, while not inevitable, was technically feasible, not just on the 747 but for ALL navigation systems. It was only a matter of choice circumstances that the error would manifest itself and in background, compound itself over time and distance, for KAL 007.

Prior before KAL 007, the Soviets never shot down any civilian airliners either, at least not to my memory, so you are free to correct me and I will admit my error. So what does that say about the PLAAF? Nothing. Your argument in defense of the PLAAF is flawed. If something never happened before, it could simply mean that environmental and human factors could not create that situation. If you never break your leg before, does that mean you never will?

Prior before KAL 007, the Soviets never shot down any civilian airliners either, at least not to my memory, so you are free to correct me and I will admit my error. So what does that say about the PLAAF? Nothing. Your argument in defense of the PLAAF is flawed. If something never happened before, it could simply mean that environmental and human factors could not create that situation. If you never break your leg before, does that mean you never will?
KAL902 in 1978. It seems KAL has a habbit of being shot down by the Soviet air force.
Korean Air Lines Flight 902 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I stand corrected. Old age, mind you. Now we have two excellent examples to apply against the Chinese ADIZ.
Mind you that both incidents the Korean airliner were already deep inside of Soviet territory.

Mind you that both incidents the Korean airliner were already deep inside of Soviet territory.
Even in this post 9/11 world, airspace violations are mostly innocuous. For '11, the American FAA recorded/reported...

FAA Stats Show Fewer Pilots Break Airspace Rules
The FAA has reported 122 airspace violations in 2011...

The FAA reported 387 violations in 2008, 358 in 2009 and 382 in 2010.
And that is internal airspace with an active civil aviation community.

Back then, for both KAL shot downs, the Soviets sent manned interceptors to try to ascertain visually who they thought they were dealing with. But how about when a couple of South Korean troopers shot at an Asiana Airlines Airbus because they thought it came from N. Korea?

Jonathan Haslam
Haslam, Jonathan. "The KAL Shootdown (1983) and the State of Soviet Air Defence." Intelligence and National Security 3, no. 4 (Oct. 1988): 128-133.

"It might be no exaggeration to describe [the Soviet air defense system] as the agricultural sector of the Soviet armed forces."
Haslam wrote that on that day, eight out of eleven Soviet air defense radar trackers were either not functional or functioning at sub-par level, and later research of Russian archives revealed that the local command had next to no experience on how to handle airspace violations.

No one know much about China's air defense forces but if the piss poor airmanship and flight discipline the PLAAF displayed during the Hainan Incident when the situation had clear day and the aircrafts were close enough to make out pilot's details, and given the high traffic in the area, civilian pilots will remember KAL 007 more than they do of IAF 655.

Keyword search for you 'nasa kal 007 747 navigation error'. The Russians finally turned over the data recorders from KAL 007 and a real technical analysis was performed. It revealed that the navigation error, while not inevitable, was technically feasible, not just on the 747 but for ALL navigation systems. It was only a matter of choice circumstances that the error would manifest itself and in background, compound itself over time and distance, for KAL 007.

Yes they have.
List of airliner shootdown incidents - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Korean Air Lines Flight 902 (KAL902, KE902) was a civilian airliner shot down by Soviet Sukhoi Su-15 fighters on April 20, 1978, near Murmansk, Russia, after it violated Soviet airspace and failed to respond to Soviet interceptors. Two passengers were killed in the incident. 107 passengers and crew survived after the plane made an emergency landing on a frozen lake.

Also a korean airline. Coincidence? I think not.

I will say that your arguement is equally flawed. If all it takes is a simple navigation errors then it can happend to anyone. Sufficient to say that we have progressed alot since that incident in the 80s.

What I question here is how you argue. You are basically saying that because PLAAF lost a J8 towards a military plane, then it means they are trigger-happy against civilian airlines.
I have yet to see your evidence to support that.

No one know much about China's air defense forces but if the piss poor airmanship and flight discipline the PLAAF displayed during the Hainan Incident when the situation had clear day and the aircrafts were close enough to make out pilot's details, and given the high traffic in the area, civilian pilots will remember KAL 007 more than they do of IAF 655.

Inductive reasoning

Inductive reasoning is the opposite of deductive reasoning. Inductive reasoning makes broad generalizations from specific observations. Even if all of the premises are true in a statement, inductive reasoning allows for the conclusion to be false. Here’s an example: " A J8 was lost in 2003. It belongs to PLAAF. Therefore the whole PLAAF is incompetent(2013)" The conclusion does not follow logically from the statements.
You see the flaw here, do you? I am not even gonna mention the difference between a military aircraft EP3 and civilians ones. Or J8 in 2003 and Su-30/J11 now or even how things change in 10 years.

Last edited:
Even in this post 9/11 world, airspace violations are mostly innocuous. For '11, the American FAA recorded/reported...

FAA Stats Show Fewer Pilots Break Airspace Rules

And that is internal airspace with an active civil aviation community.

Back then, for both KAL shot downs, the Soviets sent manned interceptors to try to ascertain visually who they thought they were dealing with. But how about when a couple of South Korean troopers shot at an Asiana Airlines Airbus because they thought it came from N. Korea?

Jonathan Haslam

Haslam wrote that on that day, eight out of eleven Soviet air defense radar trackers were either not functional or functioning at sub-par level, and later research of Russian archives revealed that the local command had next to no experience on how to handle airspace violations.

Then may I ask you that how many those violation were done by foreign military aircrafts or even civilian aircrafts? Most of those violation were done by domestic private civilian aircrafts flying into a restricted air space. Please remind me when is the last time US's air space was violated by foreign military aircrafts? And how many times US has violated other countries air space without authorizations with their military aircafts let it be fighters, recon aircrafts or just drones.

As for the Hainan incident, I can not see what the PLANAF pilot had done wrong. He just did it with the wrong aircraft and with the wrong approach. If he could pull off that like what Soviet's pilot did to a Norwegian AF P-3B with his Su-27 in 1987, then he probably would became a text book example for many airforces. He might even be able to paint a "kill marking" in the form of a P-3-silhouette on his aircraft.
Bear Hunters, Part 3: Collision with Flanker

Then may I ask you that how many those violation were done by foreign military aircrafts or even civilian aircrafts? Most of those violation were done by domestic private civilian aircrafts flying into a restricted air space. Please remind me when is the last time US's air space was violated by foreign military aircrafts? And how many times US has violated other countries air space without authorizations with their military aircafts let it be fighters, recon aircrafts or just drones.
For a foreign aircraft, territorial airspace of any country is restricted airspace, but that is not the point anyway, which is that restricted airspace violations do occurs and with greater frequency than most people suspect. It comes from a variety of reasons, from incompetence, inexperience, neglect, and/or technically related issues. It is only when a tragedy occurs, as in KAL 007, is when airspace violation in general, deliberate or accidental, make the news.

Here is a sample from the Greeks...

HELLENIC NATIONAL DEFENCE GENERAL STAFF

How about from the Russians...

The Aviationist » Airspace violations
Russian MoD has confirmed that a private Cessna plane has Russia’s airspace in the Kaliningrad region, near the Baltic Gdansk Bay, on Jul. 25.

Sukhoi Su-27 plane was used to identify the intruder, as the pilot did not react to the radio communication.

The official statement said an unidentified object flying from Poland over the Baltic has been detected by the radars of the Russian Air Defense about 50 km from the border at 20.15. At 20.26 the pilot entered the Russian airspace and two Su-27 fighter jets were scrambled to intercept the intruder.

After visual contact was established, the Cessna pilot directed the airplane towards Lithuania at 21.09.

Since the private plane did not have the permission to enter the Lithuanian territory it was forced to land at Latvia’s Ventspils airport by NATO fighter jets patrolling the airspace of the Baltic States.
Why did the Cessna pilot not responded to radio hails? We do not know. But the fact here is that a civilian aircraft seemingly accidentally violated territorial airspace and also seemingly from incompetence/inexperience.

Inside territorial airspace exists restricted airspace, such as over the White House, with violation/interception protocols little to no difference than with foreign aircrafts coming in from extra-territorial airspace. So your attempt to parse out the two does no good other than to reveal your ignorance of the matter.

As for the Hainan incident, I can not see what the PLANAF pilot had done wrong. He just did it with the wrong aircraft and with the wrong approach. If he could pull off that like what Soviet's pilot did to a Norwegian AF P-3B with his Su-27 in 1987, then he probably would became a text book example for many airforces. He might even be able to paint a "kill marking" in the form of a P-3-silhouette on his aircraft.
Of course not. Cdr. Wang was Chinese so of course he did nothing wrong in Chinese eyes. Unfortunately for the Chinese, professionals THE WORLD OVER have other opinions. They find it rather difficult, as in gravity defying, that a nimble J-8 would be run over by a lumbering four-engines prop jobber EP-3.

Of course not. Cdr. Wang was Chinese so of course he did nothing wrong in Chinese eyes. Unfortunately for the Chinese, professionals THE WORLD OVER have other opinions. They find it rather difficult, as in gravity defying, that a nimble J-8 would be run over by a lumbering four-engines prop jobber EP-3.
Where is your professionals the world over's opinion about Su-27's pilots that collided with P-3B. Surgical is the word often associated with that incident.

One thing I agree is that Wang probably is not as skilled as the soviet pilots in that Su-27, and of course there is no comparision between J-8II with Su-27. His decision to pull such maneuver using an unmaeuverable high speed interceptor is very poor indeed and along with those who sent such aircraft to intercept EP-3.

For a foreign aircraft, territorial airspace of any country is restricted airspace, but that is not the point anyway, which is that restricted airspace violations do occurs and with greater frequency than most people suspect. It comes from a variety of reasons, from incompetence, inexperience, neglect, and/or technically related issues. It is only when a tragedy occurs, as in KAL 007, is when airspace violation in general, deliberate or accidental, make the news.

And again most of those violations are done by private civilian planes. As for commerical airliners, their pilots should be more experienced and careful in this area since their planes are more likely to be wrongly identified as E-3, E-767 and etc especially in the area where US routinely fly and sometimes violates the air space with its recon aircrafts.

As for your greek example, I am somehow amazed that you think those routinely violations by Turkish military aircrafts are innocent mistakes rather than deliberate.

Last edited:
Where is your professionals the world over's opinion about Su-27's pilots that collided with P-3B. Surgical is the word often associated with that incident.
Do you even read your own source? Never mind that rhetorical question. This forum knows well enough that the Chinese members here -- do not.

Several minutes later, the same Su-27 came back, and again took up a position very close to the P-3B. Lt. Salvesen decreased the speed, signalling the Flanker-pilot to stay away: the Su-27 disappeared again.
The world's opinion is that you do not make and take such close maneuvers to start, it does not matter if you are in a smaller and much more agile aircraft, you simply do not. It does not matter if you are Chinese or Russian or American, you simply do not.

One thing I agree is that Wang probably is not as skilled as the soviet pilots in that Su-27, and of course there is no comparision between J-8II with Su-27. His decision to pull such maneuver using an unmaeuverable high speed interceptor is very poor indeed and along with those who sent such aircraft to intercept EP-3.
You made the wrong comparison. It is not J-8 against the Su-27. It is the Su-27 against the P-3B. It is the J-8 against the EP-3. In that context, the smaller fighters are much more agile against their larger targets.

And again most of those violations are done by private civilian planes. As for commerical airliners, their pilots should be more experienced and careful in this area since their planes are more likely to be wrongly identified as E-3, E-767 and etc especially in the area where US routinely fly and sometimes violates the air space with its recon aircrafts.
Why do you continue to ignore the fact that accidental airspace violations do occurs? What difference does it make private or commercial? KAL 902 and KAL 007 were commercial and look what happened to them. They deviated from planned courses due to combination of human and technical errors.

Look at this again...

north_am_adiz_boundaries_01_zps92ff3d31.jpg

It is highly unlikely that there could be accidental trespass into US domestic airspace from either oceans. You can fly from Europe/Asia to Central/South America without touching US ADIZ, let alone fly thru the ADIZ and enter US domestic airspace.

That is not the case with the Chinese ADIZ when it covers current high traffic air corridors. If there are deviations from filed flight plans, and it does not have to be Chinese domestic airspace violation, a tragedy can occur if China does not exercise restraint when intercepting a flight that deviated from course for any reason.

As for your greek example, I am somehow amazed that you think those routinely violations by Turkish military aircrafts are innocent mistakes rather than deliberate.
Aaah...The point was not that those were deliberate but that there were violations of someone's domestic airspace. The point was about the intercept procedures and how experience were the countries involved. But I am not amazed that you would think I cannot recognize the difference. :lol:

Do you even read your own source? Never mind that rhetorical question. This forum knows well enough that the Chinese members here -- do not.

The world's opinion is that you do not make and take such close maneuvers to start, it does not matter if you are in a smaller and much more agile aircraft, you simply do not. It does not matter if you are Chinese or Russian or American, you simply do not.

You made the wrong comparison. It is not J-8 against the Su-27. It is the Su-27 against the P-3B. It is the J-8 against the EP-3. In that context, the smaller fighters are much more agile against their larger targets.
For an aircraft such as J-8II, did you realized how high the AoA was for J-8II at the time of the accident in order for it to keep at the same pace of EP-3. EP-3 was flying at 180 knots which is very close to the stall speed for aircraft such as J-8II. Then you tell me how agile J-8II is at that speed. As for Su-27 case, whether Tsymbal did it accidentally or intentally, he did successful forced P-3B to abort its mission and return base with little damage to his own aircraft and without a major international incident.

Why do you continue to ignore the fact that accidental airspace violations do occurs? What difference does it make private or commercial? KAL 902 and KAL 007 were commercial and look what happened to them. They deviated from planned courses due to combination of human and technical errors.

Look at this again...

It is highly unlikely that there could be accidental trespass into US domestic airspace from either oceans. You can fly from Europe/Asia to Central/South America without touching US ADIZ, let alone fly thru the ADIZ and enter US domestic airspace.

That is not the case with the Chinese ADIZ when it covers current high traffic air corridors. If there are deviations from filed flight plans, and it does not have to be Chinese domestic airspace violation, a tragedy can occur if China does not exercise restraint when intercepting a flight that deviated from course for any reason.
Why you also ignore that fact the KAL 902 and Kal 007's accidental path was also close to the path what US recon plane used to fly into Soviet air space? Based on the sophisication of the soviet radar at the time and the mistakes of the pilots, it won't come to a surprise that the ground commands of Soviet air force mistook it as an US spy plane? Was it coincidents that both are from the same airline and both come from US?

Although Tu-95 have flied near the US air space on several occasions, was it ever violate US air space in its history? Can it be said the same about US's military aircrafts?

Each time when Tu-95 was intercepted and escorted near the US air space, it just change its direction and flew away.

You accuse me seeing things this just because being Chinese, then I can assure you that if the stituation is reversed let's say a PLAAF ELINT aircraft is flying around US air space and when it is intercepted and escorted, it still continues its flight path after being shown unwelcome. I won't blame US pilot pull some aggressive manuever against it at all. After all, it is doing electronic surveillance on foreign soil(Oh, wait! US government actually doesn't believe that there is anything wrong with electronic surveillance on foreign soil even it is its ally.

Last edited:
it is perhaps the last or last few straws on the japanese camel's back
it is only to engage in a war with China that they can redeem themselves and they're trying to drag their yankie daddy into it - the kamikaze mode suicide!

Well i hope American are smarter than this and stay put. This is between China and Japan

For an aircraft such as J-8II, did you realized how high the AoA was for J-8II at the time of the accident in order for it to keep at the same pace of EP-3. EP-3 was flying at 180 knots which is very close to the stall speed for aircraft such as J-8II. Then you tell me how agile J-8II is at that speed.

As for Su-27 case, whether Tsymbal did it accidentally or intentally, he did successful forced P-3B to abort its mission and return base with little damage to his own aircraft and without a major international incident.
That is an absurd argument. Your fellow Chinese will give you a pass simply because they do not know any better, but try that in company of real pilots, even civilian ones, and they will laugh you out of the room. Might as well say that the J-8 was not agile because it was parked on the ramp.

Here is the definition of piloting skills...

SKYbrary - Pilot Handling Skills
Manual Flying Skills are typically thought of as pure core flying skills, where manoeuvres are flown solely by reference to raw data obtained from the heading, airspeed, attitude, altitude and vertical speed instruments, and without the use of technology such as auto-throttles, auto-pilot, flight director or any other flight management system. This might extend as far as requiring manual trim inputs and navigation using basic systems.

Pilot Handling Skills will include all the above manual flying skills, but may also relate to combinations of manual flying, speed and directional control together with combinations of automatic speed and direction control and guidance. Such combinations may occur through pilot preference, operational or procedural requirements, or when some automated systems are no longer functioning.
We can assume that Cdr. Wang Wei passed the minimum standards set by the PLAAF, which may or may not be the same as the other air forces, but we can be assured that Wang was trained and competent enough to manhandle a Mach 2 jet fighter.

But here is the definition of airmanship...

SKYbrary - Airmanship
"Airmanship is the consistent use of good judgment and well-developed skills to accomplish flight objectives. This consistency is founded on a cornerstone of uncompromising flight discipline and is developed through systematic skill acquisition and proficiency. A high state of situational awareness completes the airmanship picture and is obtained through knowledge of one’s self, aircraft, environment, team and risk."
Note the two items are not the same. Airmanship is about the judicious applications of piloting skills to accomplish a mission, even one as mundane as flying cargo from airport to airport, like how UPS and FedEx pilots does it. Airmanship for nuclear bombers like the old SAC's B-52s is not the same as for the old TAC's fighters. Then airmanship for the Goodyear blimp is not the same as the other two. Airmanship does not specify basic skills like coordinated turns or how much flaps to let down for TO/L. Airmanship assume that you already know these things.

The PLAAF in general and Cdr. Wang in particular were rightly criticized by the international aviation community for poor airmanship, not poor basic piloting skills. The collision could have been avoided if Wang had simply exercised basic formation flying, which involves aircraft separation...

FM 3-04.203 Chapter 6
FORMATION SEPARATION

6-24.The space between aircraft in any given formation represents a tradeoff between the previously mentioned formation characteristics. The capability of all members of the flight to navigate and avoid obstacles without the excessive concern of colliding with other flight members is a primary factor in determining formation spacing. METT-TC considerations drive spacing between aircraft. For example, low illumination nights usually require close spacing, while day flights can assume large separations, enhancing lead’s ability to maneuver. In choosing a sound tactical formation, lead should consider the following factors and how they affect the formation:

lThreat.

lTerrain.

lIllumination,

lTime of day.

lVisibility.

lCommunications environment.

lCapabilities of the crews and aircraft in the flight.

The wingman is ultimately responsible for maintaining adequate separation to prevent collision by anticipating (and providing clearance for) maneuvering by lead.
Any -- ANY -- interception that require visual identification of the suspect aircraft involves formation flying. It does not matter if there is a lead or not. All pilots in the immediate vicinity are essentially flying in a formation.

So what if Wang had to throttle back and maintain high AOA in order to maintain formation with the EP-3? Every pilot know to get out of a stall: you either increase throttle or initiate a nose down attitude, which inevitably add speed. The collision occurred because both aircrafts were flying too close to each other.

In Oct 10, 2001, the US Congressional Research Service published a report that said...

Before that time, there were interceptions that the Pentagon characterized as common and numerous. The U.S. military has flown reconnaissance missions around the world, including along China’s coast for the past five decades, and has expected interceptions in international airspace.62 About one year before this incident, on April 27, 2000, the Pentagon confirmed that two PLA F-8 fighters approached a U.S. Air Force RC-135 reconnaissance aircraft in international airspace over the South China Sea. The Pentagon’s spokesperson said that the interception was “not at all unusual” and non-threatening toward the U.S. plane, with the F-8 fighters at a “considerable distance” (“several kilometers”) away.
Those PLAAF pilots had no problems seeing and knowing that they were eyeballing an American military aircraft from KILOMETERS AWAY. They do not need to know the specific make/model of the suspect. They just know that it was not Chinese and with purpose that is of foreign interests. For the Hainan Incident of Apr 2001, the EP-3 was a lumbering four engine prop jobber and it was flying straight at that time. The interception was during daylight. So what need was there for Wang to fly so close to the EP-3? Did he forgot his glasses?

If Wang had to reduce throttle and maintain high AOA in order to both maintain pace with the EP-3 and be airborne, wise airmanship dictate he should have stayed far enough from the EP-3 to give both aircrafts sufficient separation space to execute any maneuver by anyone. If the American decide to turn into Wang's flight path, Wang would have enough room to either throttle up or dive, as in how he must have been trained in basic piloting skills by the PLAAF. Same if he felt could not have maintain that slow of an airspeed -- throttle up and/or dive. There is nothing that say Wang must fly in formation with the suspect in order to have a valid intercept of the suspect.

Months before the Hainan Incident, the US had lodged protests to the Chinese government about many incidents of poor airmanship exhibited by PLAAF pilots in over 40 interceptions. Pilots the world over are all the same. Behind closed doors, they have no problems laying aside their ideologies and be critical of each other, and I do not mean critical of only pilots in the room. If they read/hear about a pilot who did something that made the news, even from the other side of the world, you can bet your life that in every pilot lounge in every country's air forces, pilots will be talking and dissecting that event based upon their individual skill levels and experiences. You can also bet your life that those PLAAF pilots who ID-ed the RC-135 from several kilometers away were negatively critical of Wang and Tsymbal on what they did.

Why you also ignore that fact the KAL 902 and Kal 007's accidental path was also close to the path what US recon plane used to fly into Soviet air space? Based on the sophisication of the soviet radar at the time and the mistakes of the pilots, it won't come to a surprise that the ground commands of Soviet air force mistook it as an US spy plane? Was it coincidents that both are from the same airline and both come from US?
Do not distort history. The US recon flights in both events were not in Soviet airspace.

You accuse me seeing things this just because being Chinese, then I can assure you that if the stituation is reversed let's say a PLAAF ELINT aircraft is flying around US air space and when it is intercepted and escorted, it still continues its flight path after being shown unwelcome. I won't blame US pilot pull some aggressive manuever against it at all.
You may not blame the American pilot, but our own pilots will.

After all, it is doing electronic surveillance on foreign soil(Oh, wait! US government actually doesn't believe that there is anything wrong with electronic surveillance on foreign soil even it is its ally.
China is an economic ally with US, but you see no problems with China committing espionage of all kinds on US.

Last edited:
That is an absurd argument. Your fellow Chinese will give you a pass simply because they do not know any better, but try that in company of real pilots, even civilian ones, and they will laugh you out of the room. Might as well say that the J-8 was not agile because it was parked on the ramp.
You are the one will be laughed out of the room if you try to have that arguement with real pilots. Even wiki can explain this to you.
A fixed-wing aircraft can be made to stall in any pitch attitude or bank angle or at any airspeed but is commonly practiced by reducing the speed to the unaccelerated stall speed, at a safe altitude. Unaccelerated (1g) stall speed varies on different fixed-wing aircraft and is represented by colour codes on the air speed indicator. As the plane flies at this speed, the angle of attack must be increased to prevent any loss of altitude or gain in airspeed (which corresponds to the stall angle described above). The pilot will notice the flight controls have become less responsive and may also notice some buffeting, a result of the turbulent air separated from the wing hitting the tail of the aircraft.

Symptoms of an approaching stall[edit]
One symptom of an approaching stall is slow and sloppy controls. As the speed of the aircraft decreases approaching the stall, there is less air moving over the wing, and, therefore, less air will be deflected by the control surfaces (ailerons, elevator, and rudder) at this slower speed. Some buffeting may also be felt from the turbulent flow above the wings as the stall is reached. The stall warning will sound, if fitted, in most aircraft 5 to 10 knots above the stall speed.[12]
Stall (flight) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom