What's new

Aircraft enclave for Indian Navies P-8I aircraft at Cochin airport

AFAIK the runway at Port Blair is being extended specifically for the purpose of operating the P-8I down the line. And there is a requirement for ~20 more P-8Is let alone the ~20-30 MR-MPAs is IN will soon get.

Port Blair can already handle B-737s and A-320s; speaking from my personal experience, just needs more apron space on the IN side. INS Baaz is likely to get the runway extended for the purpose. INS Dega needs a liitle extension of apron and a Hangar. Porbandar is OK, when it gets upgraded to INAS status, some facilities will get augmented. My hunch is as the P-8Is progressively get inducted the Russian origin Ils and Tus will get concentrated at one base, most likely INS Rajali.

Port Blair can already handle B-737s and A-320s; speaking from my personal experience, just needs more apron space on the IN side. INS Baaz is likely to get the runway extended for the purpose. INS Dega needs a liitle extension of apron and a Hangar. Porbandar is OK, when it gets upgraded to INAS status, some facilities will get augmented. My hunch is as the P-8Is progressively get inducted the Russian origin Ils and Tus will get concentrated at one base, most likely INS Rajali.

How about they operating from andaman?

Another thing is the IAF wants the C-17 to be able to land at Port Blair. And the P-8Is are coming to replace the Russian-origin ILs and TUs.

How about they operating from andaman?

Port Blair IS A&N.

Another thing is the IAF wants the C-17 to be able to land at Port Blair. And the P-8Is are coming to replace the Russian-origin ILs and TUs.

They will overlap the Russian Aircraft. Port Blair already is C-130 ready as is Car Nicobar. Port Blair runway is long enough for C-17s. But don't know about Tarmac Load Class for a fully loaded C-17. Part load is sure.

They will overlap the Russian Aircraft. Port Blair already is C-130 ready as is Car Nicobar. Port Blair runway is long enough for C-17s. But don't know about Tarmac Load Class for a fully loaded C-17. Part load is sure.

Yes,at first they will overlap with the Russian a/c until the last deliveries of the P-8I (maybe the last deliveries of the follow-on orders).

Yes,at first they will overlap with the Russian a/c until the last deliveries of the P-8I (maybe the last deliveries of the follow-on orders).

And when will that be? They will overlap, that is by design, :)
The Tu Bears will then get dedicated to long-range MR flights in the arc: Bab-el-Mandeb through Chagos Arch. to south of Sumatera.

Well I don't know how many airports IN operates but if they operate more than 1 than they should extend all of them for P8-I otherwise if 1 airport is used for P8 then that specific airport can be targeted and if targeted effectively then it would be great setback to IN reconciation and airborn maritime capabilities………:cheers:

And when will that be? They will overlap, that is by design, :)
The Tu Bears will then get dedicated to long-range MR flights in the arc: Bab-el-Mandeb through Chagos Arch. to south of Sumatera.

Later this decade (ie by 2020) in all liklihood. The TUs and ILs have received serious upgrades not too long ago so will be relevant until atleast 2020.

Well I don't know how many airports IN operates but if they operate more than 1 than they should extend all of them for P8-I otherwise if 1 airport is used for P8 then that specific airport can be targeted and if targeted effectively then it would be great setback to IN reconciation and airborn maritime capabilities………:cheers:

Like we have been dissucssing the P-8I will be operating from numerous IN airbases and air enclaves across Indian territory. Just look above mate.

Later this decade (ie by 2020) in all liklihood. The TUs and ILs have received serious upgrades not too long ago so will be relevant until atleast 2020.

Like we have been dissucssing the P-8I will be operating from numerous IN airbases and air enclaves across Indian territory. Just look above mate.

well pardon me I just viewed main article and expressed my opinion I didnot went through whole thread……ツ

well pardon me I just viewed main article and expressed my opinion I didnot went through whole thread……ツ

Don't worry about it mate, just thought I'd ask you to look over a few other posts so that I didn't just repeat what had already been said!

So we now know for sure the P-8I will be deployed in Arakkonam and Cochin.

Not necessarily, because it depends on what they mean with"aircraft enclave".

...The enclave will comprise a hangar for bigger aircraft of navy, administrative office, disbursal center, apron capable of holding two Boeing aircraft and a taxi track...

...Cial will be the second airport in the country to host a naval aircraft enclave after Mumbai...

To me this sounds more like a repair and maintenance facility, than a real air base that should have more than just 2 parking spots for P8Is.
I do think that possibly the additional 4 x P8Is were procured to station them at the western coasts, but Chochin would hardly makes sense, since the same area could be covered by P8Is from Arakkonam too. I expect them either in Goa (more or less in the middle to cover the Arabian Sea fully), or even closer to Mumbai.

Not necessarily, because it depends on what they mean with"aircraft enclave".

To me this sounds more like a repair and maintenance facility, than a real air base that should have more than just 2 parking spots for P8Is.
I do think that possibly the additional 4 x P8Is were procured to station them at the western coasts, but Chochin would hardly makes sense, since the same area could be covered by P8Is from Arakkonam too. I expect them either in Goa (more or less in the middle to cover the Arabian Sea fully), or even closer to Mumbai.

Indeed, I guess it's another case of "wait and see" because it also depends on how many P-8Is the IN actually gets in the end, how many MR-MPAs the IN gets and where it deploys all these assets.

The IN has long term plans but we are completely in the dark!

For @Koovie Here you go man. This should do justice to the plane.

CA50042U.jpg

I will try my best with my digital camera :P

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom