What's new

Aircraft enclave for Indian Navies P-8I aircraft at Cochin airport

sudhir007

Reaction score
Aircraft enclave for Indian Navies P-8I aircraft at Cochin airport | idrw.org

12ss1.jpg

The Cochin International Airport Limited (Cial) and the Indian Navy inked on Wednesday a memorandum of understanding for the construction of a naval aircraft enclave at the airport.

According to the MoU, Cial would provide 10 acres to the Navy for constructing the enclave, expected to be completed in one-and-a-half years, Cial sources said. The construction work, outside the compound wall, would not affect the operation of the airport, they said.

The Navy’s airport was the main Cochin airport till Cial constructed the international airport at Nedumbassery, about 40-km away from the earlier one.

However, large aircrafts like the Boeing 737 could not land at the existing airport with full load because of shorter runway.

The Navy’s landing strip is also insufficient for landing new-generation aircraft, such as P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft.

When the new enclave is ready, Navy will be able to use the longer runway at Cial airport. The enclave will comprise a hangar for bigger aircraft of navy, administrative office, disbursal center, apron capable of holding two Boeing aircraft and a taxi track. Construction of the enclave would commence shortly and would be supervised by the Military Engineering Services (MES) and the Indian Navy.

The MoU was signed by the airport director A C K Nair for Cial and Indian Navy command aviation officer captain Mahinish Ghai. Chief operating officer of INS Garuda Captian M M S Shergill will be the project manager for the Naval project, co-ordinated by Lt Commander Pradeep Vijayan, an official release said.

Cial will be the second airport in the country to host a naval aircraft enclave after Mumbai.

But the Cochin airport, developed on PPP mode, is the first non-government airport to hand over land to Navy for setting up an aircraft enclave.

I thought they could extend the runway on the western side (naval airport). especially the one used for civilian transport

These would be for the Chinese subs which prefer to lurk around in the IO and the BOB.

for BoB recon...P-8I should be based in Arakkonam (TN )

Would we be having a joint recon operation with the USN and probably the Australian Navy? - just a doubt based on the Chinese sub movements picked up by both IN and the USN together also the platforms are the same.

Would we be having a joint recon operation with the USN and probably the Australian Navy? - just a doubt based on the Chinese sub movements picked up by both IN and the USN together also the platforms are the same.

The recon was always there...chinese Subs cannot move out of SCS without sounding the alarm....but we are handicapped if those subs are allowed to berth in SL with permission.

For @Koovie Here you go man. This should do justice to the plane.

CA50042U.jpg

Then I think we should all line up to part-sponsor that piece of photography gear for @Koovie; since we've just apponted him the official rep. there.

This means that INS Garuda where Indian Naval Aviation began is in twilight phase. The runway there is too short with too many built-up and inhabitated areas around. Looks like it will get down graded to solely operating Dorniers and UAVs.

So we now know for sure the P-8I will be deployed in Arakkonam and Cochin.

Goa/Karwar, Porbandar, Kochi, INS Dega and Port Blair for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goa/Karwar, Porbandar, Kochi, INS Dega and Port Blair for sure.
AFAIK the runway at Port Blair is being extended specifically for the purpose of operating the P-8I down the line. And there is a requirement for ~20 more P-8Is let alone the ~20-30 MR-MPAs is IN will soon get.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom