What's new

Air Marshal (Rtd) Masood Akhtar Discusses Block 3 and Project AZM - 5 Dec 2019

IF WE PURSUE J-20 politically, it COULD become available to us.
J-20 in PAF colors might become reality, based on the threat perception and priorities of the PAF. I am saying this because if Azm materializes around 2030 (give or take a couple of years), mastering it for battle will require at least 5 more years ... which will be too long a period for only JF-17 and F-16 to bear the burden against India's expected modernization and acquisitions onslaught.
May be after they will Finish their 6th gen project, and remember guys J-20 is currently banned for export by Chinese govt

India has a option of F-35B for their carriers along with RAFALE M/ F/A 18 EF , and yes USA/West is arming India to contain/conceal China

Bharat is fully invested on S400, it is highly unlikely that US will offer F-35 to Bharat.

Bharat is fully invested on S400, it is highly unlikely that US will offer F-35 to Bharat.
Russia and USA is same player, they want to restrict Rising China and there is no way that Pakistan will get any F-25 in near or far Future our best option is only for go J-31/FC-31 From China for our Stealth requirement

He teases a POSSIBLE collaboration with Turks at 07:50

@aliyusuf @HRK @Signalian

Ohhhh, he says “We haven’t flew J-20 yet due to lack of dual seater but IF WE PURSUE J-20 politically, it COULD become available to us.
@MastanKhan you are being acknowledged on a tv show by a rtd AM

According to him,
Block 3 features :
1 - AESA Radar (Chinese or a Russian o_O)
2 - IFR Probe (already available)
3 - Locally developed Self Protection jammer
4 - PL-5, SD-10, PL-15 (In response to Meteor)

Upon asking for Rafale situation, He answered “Tech flow nai ruksakta” and previously he said “Politics aur economics theek hojaye” implying relations with USA, then F-16 along with thunders can remain backbone. This implies future plans for F-16 upgrades inshaAllah. Be it V or If Turkey comes up with a solution (this would result in loss of business for USA) so most probably V.

Hi,

Tag @Deino to it---.

Two things come true---let me re-phrase

“We haven’t flown JF 17 yet due to lack of dual seater "---see the fck up.

I claimed it years ago---J20 is available to pakistan anytime---.

Last edited:
That's only possible if PAF makes big strides in AZM and let the Americans know about it. Before that, it will remain a distinct possibility. In fact, US would do everything to sabotage Project AZM for obvious financial and political reasons so offering PAF F-35 can be one way doing that but even if that happens, I don't think PAF will fall for this poly.
Natural replacement of F16s are F35 I won't be surprise over F35 offer plus lot 13 is less than 100 million a copy

Thats not happening. US now have developed strategic relationship with India to counter China.
When US comes to know of a possible J-20 negotiation of Pakistan with China, they will offer us F-35 just to drag India into buying them. Nothing more

@aliyusuf @MastanKhan @HRK @seven0seven don’t know about you guys but when the AM was speaking, i was getting some serious vibes from him as if he read all this on pdf :lol: .

We guys are sooo Air Marshal LEVEL :partay:

When US comes to know of a possible J-20 negotiation of Pakistan with China, they will offer us F-35 just to drag India into buying them. Nothing more
no negotiation is going on or will happen for J-20, not everything is for export, J-20 is their strategic tech there is no way China can share this tech to any country let alone Pakistan

speaking, i was getting some serious vibes from him as if he read all this on pdf :lol: .
he is retired his information is outdated, and how its possible Chinese govt announce that J-20 is not for export, so why we and he assuming that China will give J-20 to Pakistan

In my humble opinion ...

J-20 in PAF colors might become reality,
based on the threat perception and priorities of the PAF. I am saying this because if Azm materializes around 2030 (give or take a couple of years), mastering it for battle will require at least 5 more years ... which will be too long a period for only JF-17 and F-16 to bear the burden against India's expected modernization and acquisitions onslaught.

AESA is of in-house design, with help from Chinese and/or Turkish fabrications.

In future I see F-16 Block-70/72 induction with Viper upgrades for existing fleet, once the Americans realize India will not agree on any major US purchase short of the F-35. Otherwise America will lose Pakistan as an F-16 customer to the Turkish Ozgur Viper Program. Because, I believe that Pakistan won't be willing to operate it's F-16's without an AESA upgrade post 2030.
As things stand rn...India's 5th gen ambitions seem as distant as Pak's Azm NGF. Their PAKFA thing fell apart and their indigenous AMCA is going to take them a while for the same reason it's going to take Pak a while...
...they don't have the necessary capabilities already developed.

As things stand right now...no country except for US, China, and Russia have 5th gen fighter jets(as claimed by those countries) ready to go. China would never sell to India nor would India buy...Russia is out it seems...that leaves US. If India is to pursue the F35 today...they will try to bargain hard about some ToT flashing some money. US on the other hand would resist these efforts bcuz F35 is going to be their next cash cow of the next gen like F16 was of the previous gen. Moreover India knows of the excessive influence and control that Washington exerts with its weapons of war that other countries don't(to an extent). All of this complicates their negotiations...in addition India's acquisition process is notoriously time consuming. Based on all that I would say that Pak's Azm should be ready roughly around the same time India would have their next gen aircraft.

As for Pak getting J20...I think Pak should if it can but not yet. Not only bcuz it's expensive and Pak is spread thin as it is...but also bcuz for now with the rumored F16 upgrades, JF17 block III, and J15...Pak would do just fine to deal with current threats.

Also in a few years J20 would benefit from having more powerful engines, possibly even better avionics, stealth nozzles, etc. So it would be even better for Pak to acquire a couple squadrons later...as a high/low possibly with Azm NGF and J20.

Last edited:
As things stand rn...India's 5th gen ambitions seem as distant as Pak's Azm NGF. Their PAKFA thing fell apart and their indigenous AMCA is going to take them a while for the same reason it's going to take Pak a while...
...they don't have the necessary capabilities already developed.

As things stand right now...no country except for US, China, and Russia have 5th gen fighter jets(as claimed by those countries) ready to go. China would never sell to India nor would India buy...Russia is out it seems...that leaves US. If India is to pursue the F35 today...they will try to bargain hard about some ToT flashing some money. US on the other hand would resist these efforts bcuz F35 is going to be their next cash cow of the next gen like F16 was of the previous gen. Moreover India knows of the excessive influence and control that Washington exerts with its weapons of war that other countries don't(to an extent). All of this complicates their negotiations...in addition India's acquisition process is notoriously time consuming. Based on all that I would say that Pak's Azm should be ready roughly around the same time India would have their next gen aircraft.

As for Pak getting J20...I think Pak should if it can but not yet. Not only bcuz it's expensive and Pak is spread thin as it is...but also bcuz for now with the rumored F16 upgrades, JF17 block III, and J15...Pak would do just fine to deal with current threats.
So good to see you again.

Last edited:
In my humble opinion ...

J-20 in PAF colors might become reality,
based on the threat perception and priorities of the PAF. I am saying this because if Azm materializes around 2030 (give or take a couple of years), mastering it for battle will require at least 5 more years ... which will be too long a period for only JF-17 and F-16 to bear the burden against India's expected modernization and acquisitions onslaught.

AESA is of in-house design, with help from Chinese and/or Turkish fabrications.

In future I see F-16 Block-70/72 induction with Viper upgrades for existing fleet, once the Americans realize India will not agree on any major US purchase short of the F-35. Otherwise America will lose Pakistan as an F-16 customer to the Turkish Ozgur Viper Program. Because, I believe that Pakistan won't be willing to operate it's F-16's without an AESA upgrade post 2030.

It all depends on India's induction of its 5th generation fighter, approx by 2030 this will be possible and by that time Pakistan should have the Jf31 and Tfx option on the table. J20 is an amazing fighter jet and by 2030 it will be on a whole new level, it is possible that it will be available to Pakistan by then, but will we buy it?

In my opinion Pakistan will make J31 in to a pak spec project AZM fighter jet and then buy the TFX as the 5th generation to phase out our f16s. One will be chinese/pak spec plane and the other western/turkish plane. Then we will start to talk about the 6th generation AI planes.

F16 block 72s are possible in near future once our economy is better. I always thought we needed another fighter jet platform other than f16s, jf17s but it seems Paf will not be going for it and instead will induct more f16s and jf17 block 3s and then go for the 5th generation.

Hi,

Tag @Deino to it---.

Two things come true---let me re-phrase

“We haven’t flown JF 17 yet due to lack of dual seater "---see the fck up.

I claimed it years ago---J20 is available to pakistan anytime---.

Thanks for tagging me but honestly, ... it is a TV show and an interview from a retired Air Marshall! So what do you expect? IMO it was show, some vague hints to spur hopes .. but nothing more.

Let's wait and see

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom