What's new

Air Marshal (Rtd) Masood Akhtar Discusses Block 3 and Project AZM - 5 Dec 2019

He teases a POSSIBLE collaboration with Turks at 07:50

@aliyusuf @HRK @Signalian

Ohhhh, he says “We haven’t flew J-20 yet due to lack of dual seater but IF WE PURSUE J-20 politically, it COULD become available to us.
@MastanKhan you are being acknowledged on a tv show by a rtd AM

According to him,
Block 3 features :
1 - AESA Radar (Chinese or a Russian o_O)
2 - IFR Probe (already available)
3 - Locally developed Self Protection jammer
4 - PL-5, SD-10, PL-15 (In response to Meteor)

Upon asking for Rafale situation, He answered “Tech flow nai ruksakta” and previously he said “Politics aur economics theek hojaye” implying relations with USA, then F-16 along with thunders can remain backbone. This implies future plans for F-16 upgrades inshaAllah. Be it V or If Turkey comes up with a solution (this would result in loss of business for USA) so most probably V.

Ohhhh, he says “We haven’t flew J-20 yet due to lack of dual seater but IF WE PURSUE J-20 politically, it COULD become available to us.

According to him,
Block 3 features :

Upon asking for Rafale situation, He answered “Tech flow nai ruksakta” and previously he said “Politics aur economics theek hojaye” implying relations with USA, then F-16 along with thunders can remain backbone. This implies future plans for F-16 upgrades inshaAllah. Be it V or If Turkey comes up with a solution (this would result in loss of business for USA) so most probably V.
In my humble opinion ...

J-20 in PAF colors might become reality,
based on the threat perception and priorities of the PAF. I am saying this because if Azm materializes around 2030 (give or take a couple of years), mastering it for battle will require at least 5 more years ... which will be too long a period for only JF-17 and F-16 to bear the burden against India's expected modernization and acquisitions onslaught.

AESA is of in-house design, with help from Chinese and/or Turkish fabrications.

In future I see F-16 Block-70/72 induction with Viper upgrades for existing fleet, once the Americans realize India will not agree on any major US purchase short of the F-35. Otherwise America will lose Pakistan as an F-16 customer to the Turkish Ozgur Viper Program. Because, I believe that Pakistan won't be willing to operate it's F-16's without an AESA upgrade post 2030.

According to him,
Block 3 features :

Fun fact is that at the moment Turkey produces the F-16 fighter jets locally COMPLETELY FROM SCRATCH.

According to him,
Block 3 features :

Corroboration with Turkey's program isn't anything new, i think Air Marshal said it at an interview with a journalist, the thing is Maybe, depends.

Also, I don't see Pakistan opting for the J-20, we have started our own program. It's just rumors like there were of the J-10, nothing came of it.

In my humble opinion ...

J-20 in PAF colors might become reality,
based on the threat perception and priorities of the PAF. I am saying this because if Azm materializes around 2030 (give or take a couple of years), mastering it for battle will require at least 5 more years ... which will be too long a period for only JF-17 and F-16 to bear the burden against India's expected modernization and acquisitions onslaught.

AESA is of in-house design, with help from Chinese and/or Turkish fabrications.

In future I see F-16 Block-70/72 induction with Viper upgrades for existing fleet, once the Americans realize India will not agree on any major US purchase short of the F-35. Otherwise America will lose Pakistan as an F-16 customer to the Turkish Ozgur Viper Program. Because, I believe that Pakistan won't be willing to operate it's F-16's without an AESA upgrade post 2030.
I also believe instead of F16s blk 70 US can offer us F35s along V uogardes as well as Pak economy is picking Up its very likely too I don't think PAF will go ozgur if we getting new and old F16s V upgrades will be Grummans one PAF should ask in house Upgrades at Kamra or Jacobabad

Last edited:
Great information. A lot of technological advancements can be achieved through cooperation with and learning from partner countries. I think China and turkey can definitely help Pakistan with project AZM.

He said something like "... F-16 pilots will envy the JF-17 pilots because the latter will have the AESA radars..."

Pakistan currently has around 370 light-weight fighters and over a hundred of these are now JF-17 Thunders. No doubt all of PAF's light-weight fighter fleet will be made up of JF-17 Thunders only Insha'Allah. This aircraft will remain a light-weight fighter indefinitely and Blocks will be churned out as per the requirements.

In regards to medium-weight fighter requirements, more F-16s will be acquirred wherever possible until Project Azm's PF-65 Sultans are inducted.

@15:18 we have develop our own SPJ ....

so anyone have any info .... ???

I don't think PAF will go ozgur if we getting new and old F16s V upgrades
That is what I suggested in my post ...

I also believe instead of F16s blk 70 US can offer us F35s along V uogardes as well as Pak economy is picking Up its very likely too I don't think PAF will go ozgur if we getting new and old F16s V upgrades will be Grummans one PAF should ask in house Upgrades at Kamra or Jacobabad

Thats not happening. US now have developed strategic relationship with India to counter China.

Thats not happening. US now have developed strategic relationship with India to counter China.
There is no such relationship with India same they claim with Pak too.

There is no such relationship with India same they claim with Pak too.
India has a option of F-35B for their carriers along with RAFALE M/ F/A 18 EF , and yes USA/West is arming India to contain/conceal China

That's only possible if PAF makes big strides in AZM and let the Americans know about it. Before that, it will remain a distinct possibility. In fact, US would do everything to sabotage Project AZM for obvious financial and political reasons so offering PAF F-35 can be one way doing that but even if that happens, I don't think PAF will fall for this poly.

Back
Top Bottom