After 4 year lull, Saras to fly again

Srinivas

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
After 4 year lull, Saras to fly again

Saras.jpg

After the tragic crash of its second prototype in March 2009, in which the three-member IAF test crew was killed, the NAL Saras light transport aircraft, is expected to take to the air again this month. The first prototype has been suitably modified (now designated PT1N) and is likely to make a flight by the end of March.

The modifications to the first prototype include changes to the rear fuselage, increased area rudder, modified stub wings, new engine nacelles and a crucial autopilot. The delayed third prototype with weight optimisation and increased use of composites will complete fabrication for a first flight before March 2014, according to current timelines.

In April 2010, the DGCA had published an accident report that blamed multiple agencies, including NAL, the IAF’s Aircraft and Systems Testing Establishment, and even US firm Pratt & Whitney, which supplied the aircraft’s turboprop engines. For NAL, the resumption of flight test will be an emotional time. The establishment was thrown into gloom following the March 2009 crash and the programme has remained on ground ever since, with confidence taking its time to build within the agency. Now also saddled with the National Civil Aircraft Development (NCAD) programme, NAL has its hands full. The agency has proven its abilities by branching out into partnerships with Mahindra on the NM5 and developing mini-UAVs, but the IAF will be looking keenly now at the Saras flight test programme as it resumes.

After 4 year lull, Saras to fly again | idrw.org

If Saras becomes a success then it will start a story like Dhruv. we shall have many more bigger planes after this. I would say this has to prioritized over other projects unlike whats happening now. Forget which countries products goes inside the plane. let it be developed any where but if we are designing then nothing can stop us. any embargo on any product just buy something else.

actually i can't find a single reason why they are building this plane.there is zero chance that Saras will be inducted for civilian aviation.and i don't know if there will be any military application of this.neither this plane carry enough passengers,nor it is any modern aircraft.it will be waste of funds to build installations for few planes.sorry for criticizing(because i always support domestic product over foreign one),but I don't know why they are wasting their money on this belated project when they are capable to develop a far more advanced aircraft(Using JV).

actually i can't find a single reason why they are building this plane.there is zero chance that Saras will be inducted for civilian aviation.and i don't know if there will be any military application of this.neither this plane carry enough passengers,nor it is any modern aircraft.it will be waste of funds to build installations for few planes.sorry for criticizing(because i always support domestic product over foreign one),but I don't know why they are wasting their money on this belated project when they are capable to develop a far more advanced aircraft(Using JV).

https://defenseworld.net/news/3206/Indian_Air_Force_orders_15_Saras_light_transport_aircraft

this NAL guys i think have no brains.....they are building a obsolete plane with foreign engines which has very little use use. they should at least try to build a turboprop engine that will be great.

The military application will be, to replace the Do 228 in light utility transport roles, to remote areas, with very little space to land and take off. IN and ICG aim on this version to replace the Do 228 from short range maritime surveillance roles.
IAF reportedly wants it as a trainer too, as part of the basic pilot training for transport aircraft crews.

So roles are there, the one or the other export customer too, but as usual in Indian developments, we do things too complicated and aim too high. A sweptwing design, with pusher rotors, really? Why not start with a normal aircraft design?
However, I agree that the general sale potential on the civil market is limited, which can also be seen at the Piaggio P.180 Avanti, a comparable layout with comparable roles in mind. It might look far better, but still has got only very limited success.

this NAL guys i think have no brains.....they are building a obsolete plane with foreign engines which has very little use use. they should at least try to build a turboprop engine that will be great.

Its easier for us to sit in front of our computers and blame our engineers and scientists who chose to serve their motherland rather than migrate to overseas for better salary and living conditions.

NAL Saras has already displayed its low cost of operation and short take off and landing capability. With the improvements,Nal Saras will be an ideal choice for govermental flights,for airlines etc.
Also Nal Saras will Replace/Compliment [most likely compliment] Dornier Do 228s in the services. Also,a trainer role is also sure with IAF,and likely IN,and if things go so far,even the IA.

Back
Top Bottom