What's new

After 30 years of service, India is retiring its iconic British-built Sea Harrier fighter jets

anant_s

Reaction score
Country
India
ap_060523015901.jpg
It’s the end of the runway for one of the world’s most iconic naval fighter aircraft.

On May 11, the Sea Harrier will fly its last sortie for the Indian Navy, the only remaining operator of the British-built fighter jet.

With the ability to vertically take off and land on aircraft carriers with very short runways, the Sea Harrier entered service with Britain’s Royal Navy in 1980. In the 26 years it served on British aircraft carriers, the jet saw action in the Falkland Wars and the Balkans. The Royal Navy phased out the aircraft in 2006.

“Unusual in an era in which most naval and land-based air superiority fighters were large and supersonic, the principal role of the subsonic Sea Harrier was to provide air defence to naval fleet by operating from their aircraft carriers,” the Indian Navy said in a statement.

Sea Harriers, made by Hampshire-based British Aerospace, were inducted into the Indian Navy in 1983 following the phasing out of the Seahawks. The jets had an operational speed of 640 knots or 1,186 kilometres per hour and were also capable of air-to-air refuelling.

The aircraft was already something of a legend by the time India inducted it, thanks to its successful deployment in the Falklands War of 1982. “Its usage in the Falklands War (1982) was its most high-profile and important success, where it was the only fixed-wing fighter available to protect the British Task Force over 8,000 miles from homeland,” the statement from the Indian Navy added.

Since its induction, the Sea Harriers have been the air arm of India’s battleships, INS Viraat and INS Vikrant. While INS Vikrant has already been dismantled, the navy is in the process of phasing out INS Viraat too.

“You could take off and land at any speed from zero to 160 knots,” Arun Prakash, former chief of Indian Navy, wrote on May 09. “While others ‘landed and then stopped’, Harrier pilots had the luxury of ‘first stopping and then landing’!”

The Indian Navy had initially purchased 30 Sea Harriers and assigned its best pilots to the aircraft. Yet, over the past three decades, some 15 Sea Harriers have crashed, killing eight pilots. The last such incident took place in the Arabian Sea in 2009, killing the pilot.

The decision to phase out Sea Harriers is also largely due to the huge maintenance cost. The British Royal Navy had phased out Sea Harriers after British Aerospace stopped production in 1998.

India’s Sea Harriers—which are likely to be rested at museums across the country—will be replaced by the much younger and sophisticated Russian Mig 29K jets.

qz.com/678795/after-30-years-of-service-india-is-retiring-its-iconic-british-built-sea-harrier-fighter-jets/
sea-harrier.jpg

mig.jpg

The Hier! (MiG 29K)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA @nair @Capt.Popeye @Levina @ranjeet

a question,,,so INS Viraat is without any fixed wing aircraft!!!!

"Since its induction, the Sea Harriers have been the air arm of India’s battleships, INS Viraat and INS Vikrant."

USS_Iowa_%28BB-61%29_alongside_USS_Midway_%28CV-41%29_in_1987.JPEG

Left: Battleship. Right: Carrier. Get it right, media! :p

Last edited:
"Since its induction, the Sea Harriers have been the air arm of India’s battleships, INS Viraat and INS Vikrant."

USS_Iowa_%28BB-61%29_alongside_USS_Midway_%28CV-41%29_in_1987.JPEG

Left: Battleship. Right: Carrier. Get it right, media! :p
I believe in this case he meant our war ships (battleships) though you are right in the literal sense.

IN should really look to reverser engineer it with a lot of upgrades.

Make the body out of Composites, upgrade the avionics, use a newer engine with more power ...... I feel it has tremendous export potential too.

The only competitor to F 35.

. Yet, over the past three decades, some 15 Sea Harriers have crashed, killing eight pilots. The last such incident took place in the Arabian Sea in 2009, killing the pilot.
Their reliability was pretty questionable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Harrier_Jump_Jet_family_losses
https://rwhiston.wordpress.com/2012/06/12/14/
Most beautiful aircraft ever built. I remember India tried getting some aircraft from US around 2005-6, which US denied.
Good thing saved us some pilots lives & money, they can have the honor of crashing them.
http://www.wired.com/2014/06/why-harrier-jets-crash/

Pretty sure this is known as a "water canon salute" @Levina

I've mostly seen them for "welcoming" new aircraft:

VT-ANH_Water_Spray_WM.jpg

boeings-787-dreamliner-gets-water-cannon-salute.jpg

indian-groundstaff-supervise-a-water-cannon-salute-given-by-fire-to-picture-id82490661

air-indias-first-boeing-787-dreamliner-from-charleston-usa-is-given-a-picture-id151502133

+ those Rosenbauer Panthers are so cool :D

I got this confirmed.
A very reliable source (ahemmm) told me that new salute rules are in place and that water canon salutes are not limited to maiden voyage. :)

getasset.aspx

getasset.aspx

getasset.aspx

I never particuarly cared for the Harrier, it always seemed to me to be a highly comprimised design with limited utility. The MiG-29Ks that replace it are astronomically superior.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom