What's new

Afghan wants 150 Battle tanks and 1 Squadron of Attack choppers from India

Pakistan can think what they want, they are an unreasonable state with concoted history and delusions about their importance. But the article claims that Indians take cognizance of their issues, my point is, we should not.

Instead of ranting about Pakistan, you should b!tch about your govt. Just saying.

A good bit of that list is easy to give. The Trucks and Jeeps bit is the easiest bit of all.
Then the 81mm mortars and 105 mm IFG are locally made and in plenty. As a matter of fact the IFGs are being transferred progressively to the BSF as we speak, so why not the ANA.
One An-32 is no problem at all, throw in the old Mi-8s that IAF is retiring also into the kitty.
The Mi-35s can go if more Apaches are bought from USA. Actually this might even persuade to transfer more Apaches on favorable terms.
Only the T-72s need more thinking over.

All these things are possible and most of them if not all can be delivered very soon.

Last edited:
I hate to rain on everybody's parade, but please note the source - IDRW.

Doesn't have a great reputation for credibility, does it?

(BTW, I think refurbished or even new OFB made BMP-2s will be more useful than T-72s, for the afghans. They can carry troops and fire at talibs, and have enough armour to withstand whatever the Talibs throw at them.)

I am very glad to read the very positive responses from every Indian member here. :)

Are you surprised? :-)

A good bit of its in fact becoming surplus to the Indian Inventory. Then again, most of the material is familiar to the Afghans. So put 2 and 2 together.

I do see it as win-win. But more important it is to continue to provide training to Afghans not only in Uniform but also Civilians; esp Students. And continue to assist development of infra-structure there.

God speed to India. :coffee:

God speed to India. :coffee:

Maybe you don't know it yet...................................but GOD has blessed the idea already. :sleep:

I would prefer more civilian programs between the two countries. But with US ditching the Afghans, security does become a priority.

Doesn't have a great reputation for credibility, does it?

(BTW, I think refurbished or even new OFB made BMP-2s will be more useful than T-72s, for the afghans. They can carry troops and fire at talibs, and have enough armour to withstand whatever the Talibs throw at them.)
Amphibious vehicles for ANA? They can get tanks(though older) at a fraction of the cost. :D

I would prefer more civilian programs between the two countries. But with US ditching the Afghans, security does become a priority.

Amphibious vehicles for ANA? They can get tanks(though older) at a fraction of the cost. :D

BMP-2s are infantry combat vehicles, a lesser cousin of tanks. They carry troops into battle, have lesser firepower and armour than tanks, and cost less. Mechanized formations usually have tanks and IFV/ICVs. They may have a small amphibious capability, and so do T-72s. But neither of them are proper amphibious assault vehicles.

ICVs are necessarily cheaper than tanks, which is why I would recommend them for ANA's needs.

BMP-2s are infantry combat vehicles, a lesser cousin of tanks. They carry troops into battle, have lesser firepower and armour than tanks, and cost less. Mechanized formations usually have tanks and IFV/ICVs. They may have a small amphibious capability, and so do T-72s. But neither of them are proper amphibious assault vehicles.

ICVs are necessarily cheaper than tanks, which is why I would recommend them for ANA's needs.

You are correct and we have BMP-2 in our inventory (~120s) but what we didn't we asked India to provide.

We should do it and do it fast.
Helping them strengthen their defense is 1 step closer to Afghan self sustenance and a stable middle east. Added influence in the western frontier is just the cherry on top.

Still the cost benefit of getting second hand T72s over first hand BMP-2 is there. Afghans are very strapped for cash. So the cheaper the better.

As for transport - most inter district transport happens there over the Kabul - Gandhar - Herat - Mazar Sharif highways. (Actually the Government's writ runs only here) The main threat is from an ambush - triggered by IEDs. So neither BMP2 nor T72 is safe. Pilot recon and recon in force in advance is the only way. In fact this is what is implemented now.

For transport in pitched battles AFBs are useful. But Taliban prefers hit and run attacks. So a BMP2 won't have much of an effect.

Also to consider - the T72 chassis can be used in a number of ways. For example, the hull can be removed and replaced with a Flamethrower emplacement. BMPs cannot be customized.

Also the max armor of BMP2 is 33mm - that is vulnerable to 50mm Machineguns(recently captured from Americans!) The RPG inventory, though reduced can also be considered a major threat.

In the end the budget is the deciding factor.

Doesn't have a great reputation for credibility, does it
?

IDRW is not believable; but the list is credible and logical.
If one saw Brahmos,T-90s and MKIs there on the list for example; you'd know where to chuck it..........

T-72s with Combat Improved Ajeya (CIA) upgrade package should be good.

New more powerful engine, ERA protection & IR/NVG devices.

The Mi-35s are already upgraded with Israeli avionics license-built in India and
they would make a great companion for the tank forces. Hind is a flying tank in itself!

We could also discuss LCH deal in future for the high-altitude areas of Afghanistan.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom