What's new

Afghan wants 150 Battle tanks and 1 Squadron of Attack choppers from India

I am very glad to read the very positive responses from every Indian member here. :)

A lot of us who have seen the movie Kabuliwala or read the story (Rabindranath Tagore) will always have a very positive image of people of Afghanistan, irrespective of the unfortunate war & insurgency that ravaged the country in last 3 decades.

Still the cost benefit of getting second hand T72s over first hand BMP-2 is there. Afghans are very strapped for cash. So the cheaper the better.

As for transport - most inter district transport happens there over the Kabul - Gandhar - Herat - Mazar Sharif highways. (Actually the Government's writ runs only here) The main threat is from an ambush - triggered by IEDs. So neither BMP2 nor T72 is safe. Pilot recon and recon in force in advance is the only way. In fact this is what is implemented now.

For transport in pitched battles AFBs are useful. But Taliban prefers hit and run attacks. So a BMP2 won't have much of an effect.

Also to consider - the T72 chassis can be used in a number of ways. For example, the hull can be removed and replaced with a Flamethrower emplacement. BMPs cannot be customized.

Also the max armor of BMP2 is 33mm - that is vulnerable to 50mm Machineguns(recently captured from Americans!) The RPG inventory, though reduced can also be considered a major threat.

In the end the budget is the deciding factor.

Well, I'm sure we have plenty of reserved (old) BMP-2s as well. They belong to the same era as the T-72s. Remember, we are going for an FICV program, and the plan is to retire the BMP-2s when the FICV starts rolling in.

Pitched tank battles (or armour battles) are not going to take place in afgh. If their need for armour is to drive into talib strongholds, and take the fight to them, I think BMPs will bring more value for money than a tank. For one thing, they carry infantry into the battlefield as well, who don't have to be transported separately.

Anyway I don't know the specifics regarding their needs, it was only a conjecture.

IDRW is not believable; but the list is credible and logical.
If one saw Brahmos,T-90s and MKIs there on the list for example; you'd know where to chuck it..........

For one thing, why would they buy the listed items from us, rather than from Russia, who is the OEM? Or the USA, who can supply similar stuff from their old stock, and have deep pockets?

Afghanistan does not need tanks to fight the Taliban. They need simple soldiers who do not get high on Hashish. What they need tanks and helicopters for is Pakistan. Afghanistan is increasingly becoming a center for anti Pakistani activities. We must reverse this trend.

Afghans are even more hostile to Pakistan than the Indians. I have seen it myself. They seek these weapons to push the durand line issue.

For one thing, why would they buy the listed items from us, rather than from Russia, who is the OEM? Or the USA, who can supply similar stuff from their old stock, and have deep pockets?

1.The Afghans are much more familiar with Russian Origin stuff since they have used all or most of it.
2.The Russians have not been approached by them, India has been. And India does make most of the stuff too.
3.The American may end up paying for whatever is not gifted.

Afghanistan does not need tanks to fight the Taliban. They need simple soldiers who do not get high on Hashish. What they need tanks and helicopters for is Pakistan. Afghanistan is increasingly becoming a center for anti Pakistani activities. We must reverse this trend.

Afghans are even more hostile to Pakistan than the Indians. I have seen it myself. They seek these weapons to push the durand line issue.

They are not expected to challenge Pakistan with T 72 and helicopters nor it is in there interest to have enmity with pakistan

Not quite correct. Tanks and APCs can be used for close support of the infantry with their firepower and armor protection. They can well be used against the Taliban as static pill boxes though this may not conform to the basic role of tanks. And, there may never be any tank battles with Pakistan seeing the terrain obtaining there.

whats durand line issue now

I believe Afghanistan should be helped out.
Most of the equipment they require can be met.

Only the attack choppers should be an issue because we dont have as many as we need.

that shount be a problem with india as it gives us a situation of hitting two birds with a single stone ...go india go give them that

No, because a strong and stable Afghanistan is good for our long term interest.

stocking weapons for backstabbing, It is clear knowledge that india has used Afghanistan as a backyard. now we will have to build up military on both sides of the border

1.The Afghans are much more familiar with Russian Origin stuff since they have used all or most of it.
2.The Russians have not been approached by them, India has been. And India does make most of the stuff too.
3.The American may end up paying for whatever is not gifted.

2) Which is why I wonder, why wouldn't they approach the Russians for Russian origin stuff, like they did in the past?
3) True, so americans might want to sell their own stuff, rather than pay India to give the afghans stuff that America has.

Back
Top Bottom