What's new

AF-PAK Debate Across the Border.

Thanks for the tag I have watched the show earlier and will soon get back to this topic.

I have watched the show. I would say amrullah saleh was was quite straightforward and i would give 10/10 marks to him. The other member of Afghan member was quite diplomatic, but his responses were mature. Overall Afghan panel outsmarted Pakistani panel.
In pakistani panel the most stupid person was shiekh rasheed, he simply was bullshyting. General asad durrani responses were in accordance with his former department. Haji adeel was struggling with english but his responses were worthy of attention, he was honest about past, his views on Afghanistan were respectful but he lied regarding currunt interference of military establishment in afghanistan, perhaps for national interest.

I have watched the show. I would say amrullah saleh was was quite straightforward and i would give 10/10 marks to him. The other member of Afghan member was quite diplomatic, but his responses were mature. Overall Afghan panel outsmarted Pakistani panel.
In pakistani panel the most stupid person was shiekh rasheed, he simply was bullshyting. General asad durrani responses were in accordance with his former department. Haji adeel was struggling with english but his responses were worthy of attention, he was honest about past, his views on Afghanistan were respectful but he lied regarding currunt interference of military establishment in afghanistan, perhaps for national interest.
Amrullah Saleh was also belaboring on the ISI's role for far too long, and i wish he remained more constructive like the Audience in seeking peace by also including the Taliban. He still sees the Taliban as armed mercenaries that could only be brought to the table by force. I was impressed by the conduct of both the politicians Haji Adeel on the Pakistani side and Hanif Atmar on the Afghan side. Hanif Atmar especially was quite mature to look forward to having peaceful solutions and people-to-people contacts. As you too mention, since the "Strategic Depth" days of Aslam Beg and Hamid Gul, Afghanistan has always been thought of by the establishment as the sub-nation of PacLand. So, the Army, ISI and MI still consider that talking to the Taliban and their Amir-Ul-Momineen is better than talking to the Government however incompetent, corrupt or weak it may be. The greatest fear that Establishment has more than being encircled by India, is of the Durand line being considered as null and void, which might trigger a Greater Pashtunistan movement, and they feel hedging on the Taliban will give the incentive of weakening people-people contacts between the two countries. Asad Durrani made that very much clear in his first set of statements on the issue of the Durand line. But more importantly what was missing from the discussion was, what could the people of either side do to reduce the influence of the Taliban amongst the common folk of either countries. The Pakistani establishment is so shortsighted and apprehensive of the Durand Line, that instead of seeing that peace in the region will help their country, they see peace in Afghanistan as a threat to their national interests !!!

I think the biggest role to quell the Taliban will be the Afghan people led by a strong and competent Leadership.

It must be the aim of all to allow Afghanistan as a functional democratic society with strong institutions. But main thing for this transition to occur, the Pashtoon representation based on the relative numbers in Afghan society which was the bedrock of the Afghan state since its foundation, must be brought again in Afghan equation. Its a fact that Karzai the Pakhtoon face of the current government will never find acceptance to this ethnic group. And its one of the reasons that Taliban have dominant influence/support in Pashtoon areas who are fighting against Afghan government and NATO. It'll unfortunately invite civil war again if the right balance do not sought to engage them in bringing the war to an end. In that case the hard stance like of Amrullah Saleh is not helpful at all and will keep Afghanistan a weak and fragile nation.

A must watch video especially for Afghans. Amrullah Saleh just tears PureLandists apart in this. @Sher Malang, your comments on the same required.

one thing that was pretty clear was that afghans had did there home work quite well and were fulli in cotrol of themselfs and put up quite a positive approach where as barring general durrani all were like fighting like little kids and pakistani audiance also dint had any good answers where as afghans were pretty clear in there approach i guess this video shows the real condition of pakistani elite and common mans aproach in handling and listening to difficult questions forget answering them in a respectfull manner

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom