What's new

Aboriginal Races of Frontier prior to the Pashtun invasions

Its not rai but Rana and Rao in central punjab, even Raja is more common in central punjab then Rai. And some do not use any. But Rana and Raja are by far most common. This article is great source to known which member belonged to which caste from 2008 election. I will bold rajput names.

The people using "Rao" title are musalman rajput muhajirs from haryana. They are called "ranghar" and still speak haryanvi. Raja is almost non-existent in central Punjab. All real Rajas in central Punjab have a Potohar(or AJK) origin. Raja Riaz of Faisalabad, for example, is from Chakwal originally, and belongs to the Mair Minhas clan.

As for Rais, I know for a fact that Bhattis from Sargodha and Sheikhupura use that title. I know a Kharral acquaintance who uses Rai. I also know a wattu using that as his title. Along with Rai, some central Punjab+Khushab rajputs use "Malik" as a title. The tribes include Tiwanas, Noons, Uttras and Joiyas.

As for politician, check out this ex-MNA of sheikhupura, the late Rai Mansab Ali Khan(R.I.P):
137.jpg

An interesting and handsome looking fellow. Can such a look exist in Jatts, Gujjars, Lohars etc or is he somewhat different?

The people using "Rao" title are musalman rajput muhajirs from haryana. They are called "ranghar" and still speak haryanvi. Raja is almost non-existent in central Punjab. All real Rajas in central Punjab have a Potohar(or AJK) origin. Raja Riaz of Faisalabad, for example, is from Chakwal originally, and belongs to the Mair Minhas clan.

As for Rais, I know for a fact that Bhattis from Sargodha and Sheikhupura use that title. I know a Kharral acquaintance who uses Rai. I also know a wattu using that as his title. Along with Rai, some central Punjab+Khushab rajputs use "Malik" as a title. The tribes include Tiwanas, Noons, Uttras and Joiyas.

As for politician, check out this ex-MNA of sheikhupura, the late Rai Mansab Ali Khan(R.I.P):

An interesting and handsome looking fellow. Can such a look exist in Jatts, Gujjars, Lohars etc or is he somewhat different?

This look from India will only be found among jat sikhs. There are few pure central punjabi tribes who somestimes claim rajput or jatt as you see in article i posted. These include bhattis, watto, khokhars, and kharals.

This was pointed out by British as well that some of "rajput" claims are dubious going by average look of these people in central punjab villages. They are basically punjabi jats, some of them later on started to claim to be rajput (just as title) if they belong to one of the tribes i mentioned and live in central punjab. There is no difference basically, maybe only between those rajputs who have non-central jat punjab origins.

close enough

nazargondalmin.jpg

32123_Rai_Mansab_Ali_Khan_HD_wallpaper.jpg

This look from India will only be found among jat sikhs. There are few pure central punjabi tribes who somestimes claim rajput or jatt as you see in article i posted. These include bhattis, watto, khokhars, and kharals.

This was pointed out by British as well that some of "rajput" claims are dubious going by average look of these people in central punjab villages. They are basically punjabi jats, some of them later on started to claim to be rajput (just as title) if they belong to one of the tribes i mentioned and live in central punjab. There is no difference basically, maybe only between those rajputs who have non-central jat punjab origins.

I think there's a fine distinction between jatts and rajputs. Any relationship would be so old that it's no longer significant. A central rajput from 23andme was closest to a Punjabi khatri. I believe central Punjabi rajputs and khatris have a lot in common. Potohar rajputs on the other hand are altogether different in my opinion, but there isn't a lot of genetic data for them.

And am not sure about kharrals, bhattis etc, but I know a few Tiwanas and Noons, and they look somewhat different from the big boned jatts.

I think there's a fine distinction between jatts and rajputs. Any relationship would be so old that it's no longer significant. A central rajput from 23andme was closest to a Punjabi khatri. I believe central Punjabi rajputs and khatris have a lot in common. Potohar rajputs on the other hand are altogether different in my opinion, but there isn't a lot of genetic data for them.

And am not sure about kharrals, bhattis etc, but I know a few Tiwanas and Noons, and they look somewhat different from the big boned jatts.

Which central punjabi rajput? Because so far i only know about 2 rajput samples from central punjab, both are in Harappadna. And i found someone with raja surname on gedmatch and he was indeed similar to khatris, but i don't know where he is from.

I am not saying about all rajputs but only the tribes i mentioned. Tiwanas or Noons are probably only known as rajputs and hence no jat. I am talking about pure central punjabi tribes like kharrals, bhattis, wattu who are some times come up as rajputs and other as jats. And to be fair its damn impossible to differentiate IRL from any of these hundreds castes tribes. Only low caste really stick out in villages.

Khatris actually are closest to sindhi trading castes in terms of exact admixture %. Sindhi trading castes (not every sindhi) and khatris are like carbon copy of each other in terms of admixture.

Which central punjabi rajput? Because so far i only know about 2 rajput samples from central punjab, both are in Harappadna. And i found someone with raja surname on gedmatch and he was indeed similar to khatris, but i don't know where he is from.

I am not saying about all rajputs but only the tribes i mentioned. Tiwanas or Noons are probably only known as rajputs and hence no jat. I am talking about pure central punjabi tribes like kharrals, bhattis, wattu who are some times come up as rajputs and other as jats. And to be fair its damn impossible to differentiate IRL from any of these hundreds castes tribes. Only low caste really stick out in villages.

Khatris actually are closest to sindhi trading castes in terms of exact admixture %. Sindhi trading castes (not every sindhi) and khatris are like carbon copy of each other in terms of admixture.

I saw the member on anthrogenica. I think he was from Lahore.

And Khatris and Brahmins are the purest specimen of ancient "Aryans". The rest have obscure origins(Hunnic, Scythian, Dravid etc). As for the differences in looks, let's take the example of Ranbir Kapoor. I don't think his look can exist in Jatts, not in the overwhelming majority at least, but I have seen similar looking rajputs from central Punjab. The Potohar rajputs have a distinct look though. We don't exactly look like Khatris.

And there was a Khatri sample on harappadna with 22% northern European component. Pretty high, hey. And I'm not sure about wattoos, but Kharrals can be considered jatt. Hina Rabbani Khar is a Kharral. Bhattis from Pindi Bhattian are purely rajputs, but I think they take jatt wives.

And i found someone with raja surname on gedmatch and he was indeed similar to khatris, but i don't know where he is from.e.

Btw, can you share that raja's results?

I saw the member on anthrogenica. I think he was from Lahore.

And Khatris and Brahmins are the purest specimen of ancient "Aryans". The rest have obscure origins(Hunnic, Scythian, Dravid etc). As for the differences in looks, let's take the example of Ranbir Kapoor. I don't think his look can exist in Jatts, not in the overwhelming majority at least, but I have seen similar looking rajputs from central Punjab. The Potohar rajputs have a distinct look though. We don't exactly look like Khatris.

And there was a Khatri sample on harappadna with 22% northern European component. Pretty high, hey. And I'm not sure about wattoos, but Kharrals can be considered jatt. Hina Rabbani Khar is a Kharral. Bhattis from Pindi Bhattian are purely rajputs, but I think they take jatt wives.

Btw, can you share that raja's results?

Lol jats only marry with other jats, including bhattis jats. Jats do not give away daughters to anybody else, in fact they are most strict about that in villages (urban area is different thing). And Ranbir kapoor is one exemple and this is pretty subjective anyway. Hindu Khatris should look similar to their punjabi counter parts, sheikhs. Considiring most of khatris moved from west punjab to India.

Its on anthro forum where i posted them, will find and post them later. His results were basically like other khatri Indian and different then 5-6 Pakistani rajput samples. . Here are couple of exemples of some jats.

Edit: removed because not an good idea to post random people from facebook on public forum, if you register on anthro then let me know. I will pm you link. Also there is huge diversity in khatris, not every khatri look like bolly types. In fact just type common khatri surnames and find non bolly khatris to see how average ones look.

Last edited:
Lol jats only marry with other jats, including bhattis jats. Jats do not give away daughters to anybody else, in fact they are most strict about that in villages (urban area is different thing). And Ranbir kapoor is one exemple and this is pretty subjective anyway. Hindu Khatris should look similar to their punjabi counter parts, sheikhs. Considiring most of khatris moved from west punjab to India.

Its on anthro forum where i posted them, will find and post them later. His results were basically like other khatri Indian and different then 5-6 Pakistani rajput samples. . Here are couple of exemples of some jats.

Edit: removed because not an good idea to post random people from facebook on public forum, if you register on anthro then let me know. I will pm you link. Also there is huge diversity in khatris, not every khatri look like bolly types. In fact just type common khatri surnames and find non bolly khatris to see how average ones look.

Trust me dude, Jatts give their daughters to rajputs more often than you'd like. I know I sound offensive, but I have witnessed many such intermarriages. The other way around is, though, very rare. In Potohar, most rajput tribes wouldn't even marry jatts, but some tribes like Mair Minhas of Chakwal take Gondal jatt wives quite frequently but almost never give a wife in return. I read about Bhattis of Gujranwala also taking jatt wives but not giving in return. Then the Baloch of South Punjab also quite frequently take jatt wives but almost never give in return.

The most strict people in rural Punjab are the awans and rajas. I heard the awans in Gujrat don't even give wives to the high caste Chibs.

PS: And yes, of course Jatts and Gujars can have brown hair, light eyes and skin etc, but they tend to be very big and wide like Scandinavians for example. They don't have slender frames like Rajputs, Khatris etc. Rajputs tend to be of slender builts, which I believe is a result of horse riding over the centuries. Rajputs have always been horse breeders and riders, an activity which favours lighter frames over heavy.

Trust me dude, Jatts give their daughters to rajputs more often than you'd like. I know I sound offensive, but I have witnessed many such intermarriages. The other way around is, though, very rare. In Potohar, most rajput tribes wouldn't even marry jatts, but some tribes like Mair Minhas of Chakwal take Gondal jatt wives quite frequently but almost never give a wife in return. I read about Bhattis of Gujranwala also taking jatt wives but not giving in return. Then the Baloch of South Punjab also quite frequently take jatt wives but almost never give in return.

The most strict people in rural Punjab are the awans and rajas. I heard the awans in Gujrat don't even give wives to the high caste Chibs.

PS: And yes, of course Jatts and Gujars can have brown hair, light eyes and skin etc, but they tend to be very big and wide like Scandinavians for example. They don't have slender frames like Rajputs, Khatris etc. Rajputs tend to be of slender builts, which I believe is a result of horse riding over the centuries. Rajputs have always been horse breeders and riders, an activity which favours lighter frames over heavy.

Lol You are biased person so anything coming from you should be taken with grain of salt.

i didnt knew maliks in kharian were awans till recently, they are quite meek IRL. Actually i held awans in high esteem till i learned they are known as maliks in our area and claim arab ancestry. No jatt even think about marrying malik daughter, let alone giving them daughters. And jats giving daughers in Gujranwala? Lol dude this is not potohar, here these bhattis desperatly claim jat status. Despite historically only known as rajputs. I mean kharrals were known as jats but not bhattis.

Rajput is favorite kammi title but awans are held in high esteem compared to them because they are zamindars. But its not rajput fault, lots of kammi started to claim rajput caste since one don't need to be zamindar to become rajput. Maybe thats why real zamindar bhatti wanted to get away with rajput label. Hell i already provided you exemple of famous kasbi bhatti who claim rajput origin.

I will not claim jatt take anyone wifes, because they do not marry anyone who is not jat zamindar in central punjab rural areas in my experience. In urban areas someone from my family have married outside who claim malik pathans from hindko area. But cities are different ball game. In rural areas they will marry bhattti daughters who are jats and also give them daughters in gujranwala.

And even British pointed out these potojar jats are not like central punjabi jats in characteristics and everything. I doubt we have anything to do with them if they are ''kammi''. I mean gujjars are quite dominant in Jhelum because they are gangsta type people, IRL i will always bet on gujjar when it comes to fight with awan lol

And honestly i don't know what you mean by slender faces, if you can pm me of exemples of Pakistanis with khatri look (not here but maybe on anthro forum). But Khatris should look similar to punjabi sheikh on average. Also khatris do not have that rural areas look about them, i don't know how to explain it. They are not as robust i think maybe thats why. If you check out sindhis trading caste, they look very similar to khatris.

Last edited:
Lol You are biased person so anything coming from you should be taken with grain of salt.

i didnt knew maliks in kharian were awans till recently, they are quite meek IRL. Actually i held awans in high esteem till i learned they are known as maliks in our area and claim arab ancestry. No jatt even think about marrying malik daughter, let alone giving them daughters. And jats giving daughers in Gujranwala? Lol dude this is not potohar, here these bhattis desperatly claim jat status. Despite historically only known as rajputs. I mean kharrals were known as jats but not bhattis.

Rajput is favorite kammi title but awans are held in high esteem compared to them because they are zamindars. But its not rajput fault, lots of kammi started to claim rajput caste since one don't need to be zamindar to become rajput. Maybe thats why real zamindar bhatti wanted to get away with rajput label. Hell i already provided you exemple of famous kasbi bhatti who claim rajput origin.

I will not claim jatt take anyone wifes, because they do not marry anyone who is not jat zamindar in central punjab rural areas in my experience. In urban areas someone from my family have married outside who claim malik pathans from hindko area. But cities are different ball game. In rural areas they will marry bhattti daughters who are jats and also give them daughters in gujranwala.

And even British pointed out these potojar jats are not like central punjabi jats in characteristics and everything. I doubt we have anything to do with them if they are ''kammi''. I mean gujjars are quite dominant in Jhelum because they are gangsta type people, IRL i will always bet on gujjar when it comes to fight with awan lol

And honestly i don't know what you mean by slender faces, if you can pm me of exemples of Pakistanis with khatri look (not here but maybe on anthro forum). But Khatris should look similar to punjabi sheikh on average. Also khatris do not have that rural areas look about them, i don't know how to explain it. They are not as robust i think maybe thats why. If you check out sindhis trading caste, they look very similar to khatris.

This guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Arains don't give their daughters to anyone, even If the guy is a Rajput which is considered 'higher' than us. Things might be changing today, but Rajputs were not even an option for Arains. Marriage between jatts, gujjars, rajputs can happen, but it depends on who is powerful and the chaudhry of the village.

@save_ghenda

You are right. Although Awans are martial people, Gujjars know the concept of badmashi.

Arain are known as shareef and educated peope, but we can fight. I'm not sure about Northern Punjab, but central and south punjab we are not to be fucked with. We had a water dispute with a Gujjar colony some years ago. We brought trolleys full of men on tractors and shut down the Gujjar village till they directed the water towards our lands. We were in the village center yelling for them to come out, but nobody would come out of their houses. Their elder had to come out and accept our demands.

The problem with jatts is that there are so many sub clans. Some of them are not in an economic position to start fights, while others are dominant. In my village I have both jatt and gujjar nokars, and every time we have an issue or land dispute, they are ready to go fight.

Another thing I noticed is that jatts in our areas are not dark and indian looking. They are very fair and a lot of the ones in my village have green eyes, granted they are all from the same family.

Another thing I want to add is that Rajput womens are all about doing kala jadoo.

The Janjuas of Potohar are quite distinct and different from the Janjuas from central, east and south Punjab. I doubt if the people from the regions I mentioned are related even distantly to the ones from Potohar, and I'm sure they're not recognized as rajput by the dominant rajput tribes which live there. I know a guy from Lahore, who says he is "Janjua tarkhan". I think these people might be descendants of janjua migrants from Potohar who got too diluted to be considered rajputs, or might not be janjua at all originally. As save_ghenda's posts mentioned, these fake surnames were taken by a lot castes and clans to get land grants from the british and to be enrolled into their army. I once also read a Sikh Janjua's post somewhere, where he said he was a maliyar(Arayeen).

If they are from Kashmir, then they can't be Kasbis. And if they're Kasbi, then they can't be Bhatti. And Bhatti is a rather notorious surname. Almost every Christian, Mirasi, Nai etc etc uses the surname Bhatti nowadays. Heck, even the mirasis from my village call themselves "Bhatti rajput". The true rajput bhattis are only found in the Pindi-Bhattian, Sargodha, Rawalpindi and Jhang(I think). The ones from Gujranwala have mixed with the Jatts, and are more or less Jatts now. The true bhattis from the regions I mentioned are rather light skinned and tall usually, unlike the Christian Bhattis etc. They usually use the title "Rai", which is a very old greater Punjab title.

With that said, most Bhatti rajputs have divided into sub-castes now. The Bhattis of Bhakkar for example are now called "Dhandla". The Noons, Uttras and Wattoos are also sub-castes of Bhattis. Manj Rajputs are also descended from the Bhattis. As for the title, in central Punjab, rajputs use the title "Rai" most of the times. The title Rana is usually used by the Manj rajputs, who are mostly found in Nankana Sahib and Sheikhupura. I think someone mentioned that the Khokhars of Jhang also use the title Rana.

I have a noon frnd from Multan he uses Rana as title.
Rais are also used by muslim rajputs from punjab aswell as rajputs from hafizabad/pindi bhattian area.

Raja is taken by many as an insult lol.. A Rana (Naru) friend remarked that Rajas are nais and real raja are only in Potohar or AJK regions.

Lol. I wonder where you got the idea Gujjars are dominant caste of Jhelum. It's the first time that a gujjar became an MNA. Socially, they're just alright, way below rajputs. In Jhelum, jatts are better at badmaashi than Gujjars. But overall in terms of land possession and social influence, rajputs and Gakkhars are not to be messed with. A Gujjar in Jhelum wouldn't mess with a Gakhar from Domeli, Andrana etc. Trust me bud. The Gujjars are good badmaashes in Gujrat but the Jhelumi ones I met happened to be very shareef. About Jhelum, the only person who's a proper badmaash is the Raja Afzal of PTI.

And I don't know what sort of awans you have in Gujrat, but in Talagang, Chakwal, Attock, Khushab, Rawalpindi etc etc, a gujjar would be signing his death sentence messing with an Awan. Talagang region which is called Awankari is the dushmani and murder capital of whole Potohar. Among the Potoharis, Awans make the best badmaashes along with the Abbassis.

And about the Jatt Gujjar badmaashes, I noticed one thing. They are lotas of the highest order. Jiski lathi uski bhans is the thing about them. Even in central Punjab, Kashmiri Butts are better badmaash. And intermarriages is not about badmaashi, it's about the clan status and land ownership. I wasn't talking about nakli bhattis(which even the mussalis of our village call themselves) of Kharian. I was talking about semi-feudal Chakwal Minhas, Khokhars etc.

This guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Arains don't give their daughters to anyone, even If the guy is a Rajput which is considered 'higher' than us. Things might be changing today, but Rajputs were not even an option for Arains. Marriage between jatts, gujjars, rajputs can happen, but it depends on who is powerful and the chaudhry of the village.

You don't jackshit about rajputs. They're not found in Bhawalpur region. But I know for a fact that your badmaashi disappears in front of those Haryanvi Ranghars.

Last edited:
Lol. I wonder where you got the idea Gujjars are dominant caste of Jhelum. It's the first time that a gujjar became an MNA. Socially, they're just alright, way below rajputs. In Jhelum, jatts are better at badmaashi than Gujjars. But overall in terms of land possession and social influence, rajputs and Gakkhars are not to be messed with. A Gujjar in Jhelum wouldn't mess with a Gakhar from Domeli, Andrana etc. Trust me bud. The Gujjars are good badmaashes in Gujrat but the Jhelumi ones I met happened to be very shareef. About Jhelum, the only person who's a proper badmaash is the Raja Afzal of PTI.

And I don't know what sort of awans you have in Gujrat, but in Talagang, Chakwal, Attock, Khushab, Rawalpindi etc etc, a gujjar would be signing his death sentence messing with an Awan. Talagang region which is called Awankari is the dushmani and murder capital of whole Potohar. Among the Potoharis, Awans make the best badmaashes along with the Abbassis.

And about the Jatt Gujjar badmaashes, I noticed one thing. They are lotas of the highest order. Jiski lathi uski bhans is the thing about them. Even in central Punjab, Kashmiri Butts are better badmaash. And intermarriages is not about badmaashi, it's about the clan status and land ownership. I wasn't talking about nakli bhattis(which even the mussalis of our village call themselves) of Kharian. I was talking about semi-feudal Chakwal Minhas, Khokhars etc.

You don't jackshit about rajputs. They're not found in Bhawalpur region. But I know for a fact that your badmaashi disappears in front of those Haryanvi Ranghar rajput muhajirs.

Sorry bro, but we don't take Rajphoots seriously.

You don't jackshit about rajputs. They're not found in Bhawalpur region. But I know for a fact that your badmaashi disappears in front of those Haryanvi Ranghar rajput muhajirs.

To be honest butts are anything but badmaash (apart from maybe Lahore) ... All in all they have a very bad reputation.. One of my best frnds in lahore is a butt.. Another is a Rana (Faisalabad) and a Pashtun (Wazir - from South Waziristan). Meh they literally own buttsy (Bhimber-AJK). with the butt stereotypes n history lol..

(Butts are ... as kids,become badmash when they become adults and give "nasihateen" when they grow old) lol

To be honest butts are anything but badmaash (apart from maybe Lahore) ... All in all they have a very bad reputation.. One of my best frnds in lahore is a butt.. Another is a Rana (Faisalabad) and a Pashtun (Wazir - from South Waziristan). Meh they literally own buttsy (Bhimber-AJK). with the butt stereotypes n history lol..

(Butts are ... as kids,become badmash when they become adults and give "nasihateen" when they grow old) lol

Jaani isko chor, meray khyal se abi bacha hain.

Back
Top Bottom