What's new

Aafia Siddiqui Convicted

Malik pledges for good news on Dr. Aafia Siddiqui soon

Updated at: 0230 PST, Wednesday, January 27, 2010

ISLAMABAD: Federal Interior Minister Rehman Malik has said the government has talked US administration over the issues of Dr. Aafia Siddiqui’s release from US detention.

He hoped nation for hearing of the news of her release and return from US soon, said an statement issued from federal ministry of interior affairs on Tuesday.

Dr. Aafia Siddiqui is innocent so she will never plead guilty, statement said adding, Federal Interior Ministry has taken up this issue again with US administration on the directives of Prime Minister himself.

According to interior ministry statement, President Asif Ali Zardari has also taken up Dr. Aafia issue with US Secretary of Defense Robert Gates and it hoped for her early release.

Malik pledges for good news on Dr. Aafia Siddiqui soon

'Lady al Qaeda' Aafia Siddiqui speaks in own defense at trial

By Alison Gendar, DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Thursday, January 28th 2010, 2:53 PM

The woman dubbed "Lady al Qaeda" had a trial run speaking in her own defense Thursday when she answered questions about whether she was coerced into making incriminating statements while in FBI custody in Afghanistan.

Aafia Siddiqui said she woke up in a hospital in Bagram, Afghanistan, in 2008 with tubes coming out of her and was told numerous times that if she didn't talk to American investigators, she would be turned over to someone else less kind.

"I can't quote the exact words. ... It wasn't one time, it was many times," Siddiqui said. "If you don't talk to us ... (you will be turned over) to this group of bad guys."

Siddiqui is on trial for attempted murder for allegedly opening fire on Americans in Afghanistan after she was caught with chemicals, weapons-making instructions and lists of New York City landmarks.

She was shot in the melee, allegedly by the Special Forces officer whose weapon she grabbed.

Her testimony Thursday morning was to help federal Judge Richard Berman decide if the incriminating statements she made while recuperating at a military hospital were, as her defense claimed, involuntary and coerced.

Berman is expected to rule later Thursday whether Siddiqui can take the stand on the attempted murder charge, and whether prosecutors will be able to cross-examine her using the statements she made in the hospital, where she admitted grabbing the soldier's rifle.

Read more: 'Lady al Qaeda' Aafia Siddiqui speaks in own defense at trial

US Judge: Siddiqui To Be Allowed To Testify In Her Defense

By Chad Bray , NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--A federal judge said Thursday that a Pakistani woman can testify in her own defense at her criminal trial on charges that she grabbed a U.S. Army soldier's rifle and tried to kill a group of soldiers and FBI agents at a police compound in Afghanistan in July 2008.

At a hearing Thursday, U.S. District Judge Richard M. Berman in Manhattan said Aafia Siddiqui, who was trained as a scientist in the U.S., can take the stand despite objections by her lawyers.

"I've determined to allow her to testify if she wishes," the judge said.

The judge also said prosecutors from the U.S. Attorney's office in Manhattan, during cross-examination, will be able to use statements she allegedly made to Federal Bureau of Investigation agents while recovering from a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

Berman determined the statements were given voluntarily and knowingly by Siddiqui despite her being "clearly uncomfortable and in some distress." She was under the watch of the FBI at the time and in restraints at a hospital in Afghanistan.

US Judge: Siddiqui To Be Allowed To Testify In Her Defense - WSJ.com

Dr Aafia said she was tortured in a secret jail

NEW YORK: Dr Aafis Siddiqui has recorded her statement before a US court for the first time on Thursday.

According to sources, Dr Aafia said she was tortured in a secret jail, and her hands were being tightened with bed.

“I could not sleep the whole night due to the presence of FBI agents in the room, who never allowed me to sleep,” she added.

Aafia said she never met with any Pakistani national since her detention.

Speaking to the judge she said, “I consider you a good human being.” NEW YORK: Dr Aafis Siddiqui has recorded her statement before a US court for the first time on Thursday.

According to sources, Dr Aafia said she was tortured in a secret jail, and her hands were being tightened with bed.

“I could not sleep the whole night due to the presence of FBI agents in the room, who never allowed me to sleep,” she added.

Aafia said she never met with any Pakistani national since her detention.

Speaking to the judge she said, “I consider you a good human being.”

Neuroscientist Denies Trying to Kill Americans

By C. J. HUGHES, January 28, 2010

But on Thursday afternoon, she was finally allowed to speak without interruption or repercussion as she took the stand to deny the attempted murder and assault charges against her.

In nearly two hours of spirited testimony, the neuroscientist, Aafia Siddiqui, 37, denied that she had grabbed an M4 rifle in a police station in the city of Ghazni, Afghanistan, on July 18, 2008, and fired on American officers and agents.

“This is the biggest lie, that I’ve sometimes been forced to smile under my scarf,” said Ms. Siddiqui, whose eyes were the only part of her face not hidden by her cream-colored head covering. “Of course not.”

The weapon was never in her hands, said Ms. Siddiqui, who explained that she was merely trying to escape from the station because she feared being tortured. She had been arrested the day before and was found to be carrying documents on how to make explosives and a list of New York targets, officials said. Her testimony, in United States District Court in Manhattan, had been in doubt until the last minute. Ms. Siddiqui’s lawyers had tried to keep her muzzled to protect herself, arguing that she is mentally ill and “driven by an irrational and delusional belief that she can convince listeners that she can bring world peace,” according to a motion they filed on Monday.

Prosecutors, though, said Ms. Siddiqui, who has been linked by some intelligence officials to Al Qaeda, had a sound mind, and they called her outbursts “opportunistic and calculated.” Ultimately, Judge Richard M. Berman sided with them.

But during a withering cross-examination that seemed to fluster Ms. Siddiqui, her years in college were cast in a different light. Jenna Dabbs, an assistant United States attorney, suggested that Ms. Siddiqui’s work with chemicals in campus laboratories had prepared her to make explosives, which she strenuously denied.

“To answer your question, I don’t know how to make a dirty bomb,” she said. “I couldn’t kill a *** myself,” adding that she had to ask others to dispose of lab animals.

When presented with drawings of firearms that prosecutors said were found in the purse she was carrying when she was arrested, Ms. Siddiqui denied any knowledge about guns. But Ms. Dabbs asked whether Ms. Siddiqui had in fact shot “hundreds of rounds” at the Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club outside Boston as an undergraduate. It was the first time that issue had come up in the trial, which began last week.

“I have no recollection of that,” she said. “Actually you can take that as a no.”

Though she mostly stuck to the topics raised by the prosecution and the defense, Ms. Siddiqui did mention being tortured in secret prisons before her arrest by a “group of people pretending to be Americans doing bad things in America’s name.”

If true, that could explain some of Ms. Siddiqui’s behavior, said Tina Foster, a lawyer with the International Justice Network who is also a spokeswoman for Ms. Siddiqui’s family.

Jurors, who are expected to get the case next Tuesday, may be hard to win over, Ms. Foster said outside of court. “It’s very difficult to overcome the type of prejudice against someone who doesn’t want to show their face,” she said, “and whose behavior can be out of the ordinary.”

Aafia Siddiqui Denies She Tried to Kill Americans - NYTimes.com

Dr Aafia denies shooting at Americans

NEW YORK: A US-trained Pakistani scientist Dr Aafia Siddiqui being tried on charges she tried to kill Americans while she was detained in Afghanistan in 2008 told a jury Thursday that she didn't picked up a gun or fire it.

''This is crazy,'' Aafia Siddiqui testified when cross-examined about the accusations at her attempted murder trial in Manhattan. ''It's just ridiculous. ... I never attempted murder, no way. It's a heavy word.''

The 37-year-old Siddiqui claimed that she was shot by two men while trying to escape.

''Somebody saw me and said something, a guy standing at the opposite end of the room saw me and shot me. And then another came from here and shot me. And then I just passed out,'' she said.

She told jurors her case is an example of how authorities ''frame people,'' she said.

Siddiqui, who's been prone to courtroom outbursts and claims she was tortured in a secret prison, took the stand over the objections of her defense lawyers who said her ''diminished capacity'' would turn her testimony into a ''painful spectacle.''

A judge allowed her to testify after prosecutors called her tirades ''opportunistic and calculated.''

The defendant was alternately poised, amusing and combative during about 90 minutes of testimony.

The first question asked by a prosecutor _ ''You were born in 1972?'' _ got the response, ''If you say so.'' She described the charges as being so outrageous that they sometimes ''make me smile under my scarf'' _ a reference to a white scarf covering her head and face. She said that although she's a scientist, ''I couldn't kill a ***.''

US authorities' portrayal is more sinister: They say Siddiqui picked up an unattended US military assault rifle at an Afghanistan police station on July 18, 2008, and fired two rounds at FBI agents and US Army soldiers. She missed and was wounded by return fire.

Prosecutors say the shooting occurred as Siddiqui was about to be questioned a day after she was caught by Afghan police outside a governor's building. At the time of her arrest, she was carrying instructions for a dirty bomb and a list of New York City landmarks including the Statue of Liberty.

Siddiqui began her testimony by telling jurors she came to the United States to attend the University of Houston.

She later transferred to MIT, where she earned an undergraduate degree in biology, before obtaining a doctorate in neuroscience from Brandeis University in 2001.

She said she left the United States in June 2002 with her three children and returned to her native Pakistan.

Turning to the shooting, Siddiqui testified she was shot shortly after she poked her head around a curtain to see if there was a way she might slip out of the room where she was being held.

She said she was desperate to escape because she had been tortured in a secret prison and feared she would be taken there again.

''I was very confused,'' she said. ''I wanted to get out. ... I was afraid.''

She not only denied firing the M4 assault rifle, she said when she heard about the allegations she thought, ''What does an M4 look like?'''

After she was shot, she said she heard American voices saying: ''We're taking this 'B' with us. They used the B-word.''

On the way to the hospital, she said she heard others expressing fear she might die. She said one of them said: ''A couple of us are going to lose our jobs.''—AP

Aafia Siddiqui Trial: Pakistan Government Simply Posturing

29 January 2010 by Pramilla Srivastava

The Pakistani government has been giving the impression that intense legal and diplomatic efforts are underway to secure the release of Dr. Aafia Siddiqui, but there is little sign of those efforts in the courtroom where she is on trial for attempted murder charges.

In a recent statement to the media Interior Minister Rehmen Malik stated that Zardari had “taken up” the issue of her release with Robert Gates.

However the U.S. Government’s Justice Department has spared no expense in trying to ensure that Siddiqui spends the next 20 years in prison.

The US Government has a team of their best prosecuting attorney’s working on the case. There have been as many as 8-10 Government attorneys seen conferring about the case during the trial. They have been aggressive, throughout, filing every motion possible to secure a conviction.

They brought two Afghan nationals to America even giving one permanent immigration status and money to establish himself in the U.S.

Moreover, the Pakistan Government has not been able to ensure that her family and attorneys have free and open access to her. Nor have they been able to stop the humiliating strip searches that Siddiqui must endure every day. Her brother has not been able to see her since was brought to the U.S. He’s been allowed a few very restricted phone calls, but that’s it.

Federal Judge, Richard Berman, has also ruled on the side of the prosecution in nearly every motion. One of the most, surprising, say legal experts is when he allowed statements that Dr. Siddiqui made while at hospital in Bagram to be used against her although she had not been “Mirandized” This refers to the Miranda Laws that direct law enforcement officials to identify themselves to an arrested individual and to advise that individual of their rights, including the right to the attorney.

This ruling came a day after Pakistani Ambassador Hussain Haqqani, had a private meeting with Judge Richard Berman, which he described as “positive”.

Dr. Siddiqui was not only “not Mirandized”, but she also had all 4 limbs tied to a bed, was recovering from surgery, on heavy medication, sleep deprived, and most importantly under 24 hour surveillance by FBI officials who failed to identify themselves as such. According to Siddiqui one of the FBI officials “tortured” her and thus she did not speak to him at all. The other, a female agent, pretended to be her friend. These are the same agents who testified against her in the trial. Despite that, Siddiqui was able to give context to the statements she made and continued to maintain her innocence.

Many of her supporters have also been raising questions about her defense team. “I was worried when I heard that the defense was only going to have 1-½ days of testimony.” said an African-American Muslim supporter who has been at the court every day, “But sister Aafia saved the day”. However, she testified against the advice of her defense team.

The defense also did not ask their client any questions about her secret detention or her fears that her kids would be harmed during their redirect. This would have explained her motivations for wanting to escape which the prosecution has been using as a sign of her guilt. Human Rights observers who have also been at the trial everyday were hoping for more information about her detention and some clues as to what happened during the 5 years she was “missing“. Although the U.S has deemed that classified information, Dr. Siddiqui seemed ready to talk about everything.

The defense did not follow-up with her on this subject. Although they may have had very sound legal reasoning behind that decision, it was not apparent to Siddiqui’s lay supporters who felt that her references to her “secret detention” helped give a plausible explanation to the events. Speculation on both sides of this case runs wild, but there are people who wonder if the defense is tight lipped on this issue because of the Pakistani’s governments role in the possible tragedy. It is, after all, the Pakistani Government that has hired these attorneys.

As Dr. Fauzia, Aaffia Siddiqui’s, sister stated in a recent interview, it is ironic that the people who imprisoned and detained Aafia are now giving her a “fair” trial, and the people who kidnapped her are now paying for her defense. Though the family expressed appreciation for any help they get from anyone, if Aafia Siddiqui is acquitted it be in large part due to her moving testimony on her own behalf, and the compassion of jury members who have the courage to believe her.

The Pakistani public’s demand to know what happened to Aafia Siddiqui will only grow with time. The Pakistani Government ought to establish a truth and reconciliation commission so that full disclosure is allowed in her case and the open cases of all “the disappeared” . This is the only way to ensure that it does not happen again.

Aafia Siddiqui Trial: Pakistan Government Simply Posturing | Pakistani | Pakistani News | Pakistani-American News | Pakistani Blog | Pakistan Forex News | Pakistan Commodities News | Pakistan Business News | Ibrahim Sajid Malick Blog

If I was in charge, I would have given the order to a commando team to get her extracted out of the US. Of course then hold her on trial in Pakistan, but the entire country of US is a guilty party in her case it is unfit to hold her for trial.

Indeed a courageous statement, but any thoughts on potential fall back of this adventure?

Pakistan is in mighty position to win anything they want from west as the whole Western war is on stake, but our rulers only seek mercy and life for their ruling.

Closings Arguments Underway In Trial Of Woman Accused Of Shooting At Soldiers

By Chad Bray, DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--A Pakistani woman saw an opportunity to kill Americans and took it when she grabbed a U.S. Army soldier's rifle in July 2008 and tried to shoot a group of soldiers and FBI agents at an Afghan police compound, a U.S. prosecutor said Monday.

In his closing statement, Assistant U.S. Attorney Christopher La Vigne said Aafia Siddiqui, who was trained as a scientist in the U.S., had been arrested by Afghan police in July 2008 with documents that "were a roadmap to destruction" and included references to a "mass casualty attack" in the U.S.

When she saw an opportunity, she grabbed an M-4 assault rifle belonging to a U.S. soldier who was part of a team that had traveled to Ghazni, Afghanistan, to interview her about the documents and "tried to kill every person in that room," La Vigne said.

However, Linda Moreno, Siddiqui's lawyer, said there's no physical evidence that her client handled the rifle or fired it.

"We're here, folks, because the defendant committed attempted murder," La Vigne said. "She had the motive to do it. She had the know-how to do it."

Siddiqui, 37 years old, is on trial on U.S. District Court in Manhattan on a seven-count indictment that includes charges of attempted murder, armed assault on U.S. officers and employees and discharging a firearm during a crime of violence. She faces as many as 20 years in prison on the attempted murder charges and life in prison on the firearms charge.

Prosecutors have alleged that Siddiqui, who had been taken into custody by authorities in Afghanistan in July 2008, took an Army soldier's rifle, which he had placed on the floor of a second-floor office at an Afghan police compound; burst from behind a curtain in the office; and attempted to shoot the assembled agents and soldiers.

She was shot in the abdomen by a soldier who returned fire with his sidearm, prosecutors said.

Last week, Siddiqui took the stand and denied grabbing the weapon or having any familiarity with firearms. She said was concerned about being transferred to a "secret" prison by the Americans and was trying to slip out of the room when she was shot.

"I'm telling you what I know," Siddiqui said last week in response to a prosecutor's question. "I walked toward the curtain. I was shot and I was shot again. I fainted."

Siddiqui, who received graduate degrees from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Brandeis University in biology and neuroscience while living in the U.S. between 1991 and June 2002, wasn't in the courtroom as closing statements unfolded Monday.

La Vigne, the prosecutor, said Siddiqui lied in her testimony and only wanted to answer questions on her own terms. He called her story "incredible" and "ridiculous."

"What possible reason did they have to shoot an unarmed 100-pound woman," La Vigne said.

La Vigne also tried to answer the defense's assertion that there was no physical evidence, saying it took the FBI six days to return and examine the crime scene, which was unsecured.

In her closing statement, Moreno, Siddiqui's lawyer, said the soldiers and the FBI agents in the room contradicted each other in their testimony and their own statements given to the FBI following the incident.

Moreno also said there were no M-4 bullets, no bullet debris from the M-4 rifle and no bullet holes from the rifle in the room.

"The indisputable fact is there is no physical evidence that an M-4 rifle was touched by Dr. Siddiqui or fired by her," Moreno said.

She described the 300-square foot room where the alleged shooting took place as a "sort of a Bermuda Triangle of a room" if you believe the government's theory in the case.

"According to the government, the laws of science don't exist in that small room in Ghazni, Afghanistan," Moreno said. "The laws of physics don't apply."

Moreno said the "science" supports Siddqui's testimony that she didn't touch the weapon or fire it.

Closings Arguments Underway In Trial Of Woman Accused Of Shooting At Soldiers - WSJ.com

Jury hearing Aafia Siddiqui case yet to reach verdict

NEW YORK: The trial of Aafia Siddiqui, the Pakistani scientist charged with shooting at her US interrogators in Afghanistan, moved into the final stage on Monday, with defence lawyers highlighting in their final arguments the lack of coherence in the accounts by prosecution witnesses.

After both the prosecution and defence delivered their closing arguments, the 16-member jury went into deliberations to reach a verdict but could not finalize their views, now, the jury will re-deliberate over the case on Tuesday. According to experts, the verdict could come early next week, although there is no fixed timeframe for the judgement.

The defence’s main argument was that evidence by the prosecution witnesses lacked coherence and their varying accounts were, in fact, contradictory - not only to each other but to themselves.

Besides, the defence argued emphatically that there was no physical evidence produced by the prosecution to substantiate charges against Dr Aafia. The prosecution, they stated, tried to create an “atmosphere of fear” by producing handwritten notes by Aafia.

During her deposition, Dr Aafia clearly told the court that she recognised some of the notes but not all of them and that they had been put in a handbag given by her captors, who were threatening to harm her children.

Defence lawyers also focused on the fact that there were no fingerprints on the rifle allegedly used in the shooting incident and there were no holes in the walls created by the bullets allegedly fired. Nor was there any residue on the curtain that partitioned the room between Aafia and the US personnel in Afghanistan.

The prosecution pressed their charges by stating that there were six witnesses to prove the alleged incident. Aafia’s trial began in the US District Court on January 19. She is accused of grabbing an M4 rifle and firing at US soldiers and FBI agents who had gone to a police station in Ghazni, a day after her arrest in that Afghan city in July 2008.

45223f9cf7cd943684cf6ec5a8995a1b.gif

tehran times : Laws of science do not apply in Aafia Siddiqui case, lawyer says

Aafia Siddiqui's lawyer says the laws of science do not apply in the case against the Pakistani woman who is charged with attempting to murder U.S. soldiers and FBI agents.

Siddiqui is accused of grabbing a U.S. warrant officer's M-4 rifle in a police station in Ghazni, Afghanistan and firing two shots at FBI agents and military personnel when being interrogated for her alleged possession of documents detailing a 'terrorist' plan.

On Monday, Siddiqui's lawyer Linda Moreno said in the final stages of her trial in the Manhattan Federal Court that the “science” supported her testimony that she didn't touch the weapon or fire it, The Wall Street Journal reported.

“Where are the bullet holes? …Did the Afghanis take the bullet holes? …There is no physical evidence that an M-4 rifle was touched by Dr. Aafia Siddiqui, let alone fired,” Moreno said.

She went on to say that Siddiqui appears to have been interrogated in a “sort of a Bermuda Triangle of a room” in which the evidence of the alleged crime had disappeared before reaching the courtroom.

“According to the government, the laws of science don't exist in that small room in Ghazni, Afghanistan. The laws of physics don't apply.”

The prosecution says she burst from behind a curtain and attempted the 'murder' and was shot in the abdomen.

Last week, Siddiqui said she was concerned about being transferred to a “secret” prison by the U.S. forces and was trying to slip out of the room when she was shot. “I'm telling you what I know. I walked toward the curtain. I was shot and I was shot again. I fainted,” she said.

The prosecutors condemned the defense as 'lies.' “She raised her right hand and she lied to your face. She lied and lied and lied,” Prosecutor Christopher LaVigne was quoted by The New York Daily News as saying in the closing arguments of the trial.

“We're here, folks, because the defendant committed attempted murder. She had the motive to do it. She had the know-how to do it,” La Vigne was quoted by the Journal as saying, despite the accused's insistence that she did not even know how to use firearms.

The defendant was thrown out of the trial twice after protesting over not being given “a chance to speak,” calling the trial a sham and saying her children had been tortured.

Siddiqui vanished in Karachi, Pakistan with her three children on March 30, 2003. The next day it was reported in local newspapers that she had been taken into custody on terrorism charges.

U.S. officials allege that she was seized on July 17, 2008 by Afghan security forces in Ghazni province and claim that documents, including formulas for explosives and chemical weapons, were found in her handbag.

She has been brought to the United States to face charges of attempted murder and assault. Siddiqui faces 20 years in prison on the attempted murder charges and life in prison on the firearms charge.

I think Moreno has fought for her defence brilliantly. There is more than reasonable doubt to have her freed which is how the US Justice system is supposed to work.

Jury is surely taking a lot of time for the judgement.

Asim
None of these so called cases were ever defendable in a free and impartial court of Law.Why do you think we had Guantanamo Bay rather than an aqmerican court for all the accused so that they could be tried in open. The evidence at best is sketchy, and derived with utmost of torture, which would invalidate mst of what they have attained.This remains a problem with Army actions.
Araz

Asim
None of these so called cases were ever defendable in a free and impartial court of Law.Why do you think we had Guantanamo Bay rather than an aqmerican court for all the accused so that they could be tried in open. The evidence at best is sketchy, and derived with utmost of torture, which would invalidate mst of what they have attained.This remains a problem with Army actions.
Araz
Then that's a simple "Not Guilty" and she should be released.

Are Children of Dr. Aafia Still Alive?

Posted on 02 February 2010 by Pramilla Srivastava

Throughout the trial of Dr. Aafia Siddiqui, human rights observers have been waiting anxiously for more clues as to what happened to her and her children during the five years that she was reported missing by family members. They come every day earlier and earlier, to ensure they get a seat in the very limited space reserved for the public.

Shortly after the trial began as a government eyewitness described the documents that were allegedly found in her possession, including hand written notes on how to make a dirty bomb, she shouted out “it’s a lie…I was told to copy from a magazine…if you were held in a secret prison and your children were tortured”; at which point she was whisked away by U.S. Marshalls.

The court then took a recess and when the trial resumed, prosecutors requested that it be stricken from the record. But in closing remarks, defense attorney reminded everyone that the prosecution never challenged that assertion. Something terrible happened to Dr. Siddiqui, Moreno said. But without more information, it would be hard for any juror who is not an avid consumer of non-mainstream or foreign media, to be able to even imagine what that horror may have been.

In the morning before the closing remarks, the last government witness, FBI Special Agent, Angela Sercer testified. Sercer monitored Siddiqui for 12 hours a day over a two week period while she was at a hospital in Bagram. She tried to rebut Aafia Siddiqui’s testimony, by saying that Siddiqui told her she was in “hiding” for the last five years and further that she “married” someone to change her name.

However under cross examination, Sercer admitted that while at the hospital Siddiqui expressed fear of “being tortured”. Sercer also admitted that Siddiqui expressed concern about the “welfare of the boy” and asked about him “every day”. Moreover, that Siddiqui only agreed to talk to her upon promises that the boy would be safe. According to the testimony Siddiqui said that the Afghans had “beaten her”; that her “husband had beaten her and her children”; and that she was “afraid of coming into physical harm”.

When Sercer was further questioned about what Siddiqui said about her children during that two week period, she admitted that Siddiqui expressed concern about the “safety and welfare of her children”, but felt that the “kids had been killed or tortured in a secret prison”. “She said that they were dead, didn’t she” asked Defense attorney, Elaine Sharpe; reluctantly Sercer answered, “Yes”.

Siddiqui herself may not know whether the children are alive or not. In a psychiatric report she told an interviewer “my baby is flying but he does not grow”, “maybe it’s because I’m not nursing him”. Nonetheless, it is surprising that the testimony presented at her trial did not prompt an immediate state department investigation. After all, at least one of the children, Maryum, who would now be 10 years old, is a U.S. Citizen.

If it is true that the kids have been killed, then, the question arises, who will be charged with “attempting to murder a U.S. National”, for that crime.

Are Children of Dr. Aafia Still Alive? | Pakistani | Pakistani News | Pakistani-American News | Pakistani Blog | Pakistan Forex News | Pakistan Commodities News | Pakistan Business News | Ibrahim Sajid Malick Blog

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom