What's new

A Sri Lankan national lynched in Sialkot by mob of terrorists for blasphemy

blasphemy laws
For once, I agree with you blasphemy laws need revisit. Except 1 or 2 backward islamic countries, no other country has such strict laws. These laws can give excuse in already senseless mob that oh the punishment is already death, so we are just being executioners ourselves. The political class / mainstream media needs to discuss that how can a society allow this sort of behavior.
1) Give swift capital punishment to all those involved
2) Bring Blasphemy / radicalization topics at mainstream media. Society needs to confront it. No shying away now. Needs to fix its path.

Next up, 100 hardcore childkiller TTP terrorists released. PM is pandering to the extremists for votes. Banana republic indeed.

That's what I said about vigilante justice. If something is considered as a heinous crime e.g. rape or if it's about blasphemy, even religion dictates severe punishment . If u kill the alleged accused or culprit, society appreciate ur action though it's illegal. And that encourage more people to commit vigilante crimes/justice.
If we remove law lynchings will increase even more as it will give them incentive to become judge jury and executioner since there is no law to punish accused. That law is meant to tone down fanatics

Common occurrence in India don’t know why Indians here feign concern for this and stay shtum on own countries such news .

hold this and there are hundreds of such stories in google

Absolutely it's India

It's lynch central there

It's also the rape capital of the world

What we need to do is ensure that the police act quick to punish these idiots not act stupid ourselves

Anyone disgusted by this goes to heaven regardless of your religion, it is that easy. These people are on the.....
highway-to-hell-banner.jpg

Iqbal turned Islamist, and celebrated the murder of a publisher for blasphemy. and the Pakistan movement started as a culmination of all these events later.
The blasphemy law were introduced by britishers so that no mob justice could happen. Why Iqbal said that about Ilm Din was due to britishers pateronage to the Rajpal. In fact it is beleived that somebody else published the book, and Rajpal just allowed his same as he was just an ordinary shopkeeper.

Anyway, Govt silence on the matter resulted Ilm Din taking law in his hands.

Today's episode is riot steering. Totally different.

but... were there any "unionists" in Punjab at the time? I didn't know Pakistan movement existed in 1929. it only started a year or 4 later. there was no tide to turn, it was just communal nonsense at the time, famously "the communal 20s". Iqbal turned Islamist, and celebrated the murder of a publisher for blasphemy. and the Pakistan movement started as a culmination of all these events later.

You are right. The Founding Fathers of Pakistan had and sometimes had to resort to communalism to advance the cause for Pakistan. Even Western educated Jinnahs or Iqbals were not immune to that. Needless to say, the same opportunism existed on the Indian National Congress side. When it truly comes to it the northwest Indians and eastern Pakistanis are more similar than different but that is for another different.

But after the Partition and well into Pakistan's history and I'd say up to 1979, Pakistan had eschewed the fanatic version of Islam which had plagued some Muslim countries such as Egypt or Afghanistan. Pakistan was (and to a large extent, still is) a Sufi-Islamic society. Some people here may condemn going to Sufi-shrines and such practices and while I don't do those activities personally I don't condemn them either. General Zia ul Haq changed a lot but I don't think Pakistan on the whole has changed beyond the point of no return. Look at the province of Sindh, for example? However backward it may be, except for very small urban pockets in Karachi, you'd almost never hear of religious extremism in Sindh--and Sindh is the second largest province of Pakistan in terms of population and Karachi has many of Pakistan's ethnic groups in large numbers, so that should tell you something.
So there is hope but I think the Pakistani State needs to focus on the domestic problems and grab the bull by both horns before the bull becomes some giant multi-headed hydra. There is still time IMO.

If we remove law lynchings will increase even more as it will give them incentive to become judge jury and executioner since there is no law to punish accused. That law is meant to tone down fanatics
Nope. Why this sort of thing do not happen in other islamic countries with much softer laws ??

Why we are the most radicals one ?

I think the laws gives the impression to senseless mobs that penalty of such crime is already death, so lets do it ourselves!

Secondly, no need to completely remove the laws. Make them in accordance with other majority islamic countries. I am no expert, but one thing am 100% sure. Taking a life is certainly not doing any sort of service to religion.

Not sure if true but i heard this because he tore some papers stuck to factory pillars or walls which contained some verses - maybe he thought he was just cleaning up his factory. In the past too some blind women was accused of blasphemy because the paper she was using to wrap the food contained some verses.

I never understood this - treating paper/ink as sacred because it has verses - is it not idolatory ? how is it different from people worshipping trees and snakes because they think it is touched by divine.

Back
Top Bottom