What's new

A small victory for China for now....

Love it (except the hot weather damn its hot!). Still getting used to crossing the road though lol

I Love what the govt did to the part near the Pearl of the Orient, that circular overhead bridge is amazing.

You should take a look at the expo though, but it is too hot right now and you have to wait outside for at least 2 hours to get into any good pavilions.

You should take a look at the expo though, but it is too hot right now and you have to wait outside for at least 2 hours to get into any good pavilions.

Yep that's what I'm here for. 2 hours is already pretty good, it took me 2 hours to get into the UAE one and 4 hours to get into the Japan one. I'm taking breather before going back to the mob next week. This time I will be armed with a fold able chair like the locals :tup:

Yep that's what I'm here for. 2 hours is already pretty good, it took me 2 hours to get into the UAE one and 4 hours to get into the Japan one. I'm taking breather before going back to the mob next week. This time I will be armed with a fold able chair like the locals :tup:

A crossed armed and angry mike folding and unfolding a chair in a long que of people. Sorry that was just a funny image.

Rank Country US$
1 Luxembourg 105,319
2 Norway 79,090
3 Denmark 55,995
4 Ireland 51,055
5 Netherlands 47,918
6 United States 46,436
7 Austria 46,020
— Faroe Islands 44,857
8 Finland 44,495
9 Sweden 43,654
10 Belgium 43,429
11 France 42,312
12 Australia 42,279
13 Germany 40,873
14 Japan 39,727
15 Canada 39,599
16 Iceland 38,034
17 Singapore 36,534
18 United Kingdom 35,165
19 Italy 35,084
20 Spain 31,774

List of countries by GDP (nominal) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is the revised figuare. Look at Luxembourg, wow...

Befor you get too excited about Luxembourg you might want to consider

There are two main reasons for the high GDP per cepita (both of which should make people think twice before concluding that Luxembourg is some kind of economic powerhouse). First, it is a tax haven within the EU and attracts *many* financial institutions that service all of Europe. In fact, the financial sector accounts for 28% of the nation's GDP and employs more than 11% of its entire labour force! Given that this sector is a high value-added sector, that pushes up GDP per capita.Second, though no less important, is the fact that 60% of the Luxembourg labour force does not live in Luxembourg!!! Instead, they commute from neighbouring cities in Belgium, France, and German. So, the economic output generated by these individuals are counted as domestic product for Luxembourg but the people who generate that product don't live in the country and so aren't part of its population when we calculate GDP *per capita

Befor you get too excited about Luxembourg you might want to consider

There are two main reasons for the high GDP per cepita (both of which should make people think twice before concluding that Luxembourg is some kind of economic powerhouse). First, it is a tax haven within the EU and attracts *many* financial institutions that service all of Europe. In fact, the financial sector accounts for 28% of the nation's GDP and employs more than 11% of its entire labour force! Given that this sector is a high value-added sector, that pushes up GDP per capita.Second, though no less important, is the fact that 60% of the Luxembourg labour force does not live in Luxembourg!!! Instead, they commute from neighbouring cities in Belgium, France, and German. So, the economic output generated by these individuals are counted as domestic product for Luxembourg but the people who generate that product don't live in the country and so aren't part of its population when we calculate GDP *per capita

Have your teacher ever told you that when you are quoting somebody on something you write, you should at least put a quotation mark? Otherwise what is the word for it?? Right, plagiarism .

Now, don't tell me that you are the author for this article on Questions Online or Yahoo Answers. Give the credits where it is due, okay!!!:sick::angry:

What is the GDP per capita in Luxembourg-Business Questions answered
Why Luxembourg has the highest GDP per capita (nominal & PPP)?

And no, I don't think that high GDP per capita is any indication of a nation being economic powerhouse.

Last edited:
Have your teacher ever told you that when you are quoting somebody on something you write, you should at least put a quotation mark? Otherwise what is the word for it?? Right, plagiarism .

Now, don't tell me that you are the author for this article on Questions Online or Yahoo Answers. Give the credits where it is due, okay!!!:sick::angry:

What is the GDP per capita in Luxembourg-Business Questions answered
Why Luxembourg has the highest GDP per capita (nominal & PPP)?

And no, I don't think that high GDP per capita is any indication of a nation being economic powerhouse.

"Well your 100 percent wrong, GDP per capita is a measurement of national wealth. Essentially, it is a measure of the economic output of a nation on a per person level. For instance, a per capita GDP of $40,000 means that, on average, each person generates that amount of economic output. Of course, in reality, each person may earn far more or far less than this number.

It is important because it measures the relative wealth of a nation on a microeconomic scale. For instance, a country like Chad has a very low GDP (something like $500/per person) versus the USA (something like $45k/ per person). Huge difference in standard of living."

What is the GDP per capita, and why is it important.? - Yahoo! Answers

Lets say the USA has 300 million people and China has 1500 million people. Lets say they have the same GDP That means China has 1/5 the Percapita GDP of the USA, but China still has to provide roads, education, security, medical and thousands other services per person and then what little is left over defense and research and its going to be very little if they treat their citizens as well as the USA. The USA could spend 2/5th of the amount USA spends per citizen and still have 3/5 as much as China spends per citizens left over for defense and research or other national prioritys.

Lets say by the year 2015 China has 1.6 billion people and usa has 400 million and that each has 16 trillion GDP does that mean they are equal from an economic stand point, no that means China personal GDP is 10,000 and the USA is 40,000 per capita GDP
some one can check my math. It still means the US goverment can take 1/4 in taxs and still have 4 trillion to spend and americans have 30,000 per capita of their own to spend. If China takes 4000 then the chinese peope are going to have only 6000 per capita. Sooner or later the chinese people might get tired of that.

"Well your 100 percent wrong, GDP per capita is a measurement of national wealth. Essentially, it is a measure of the economic output of a nation on a per person level. For instance, a per capita GDP of $40,000 means that, on average, each person generates that amount of economic output. Of course, in reality, each person may earn far more or far less than this number.

It is important because it measures the relative wealth of a nation on a microeconomic scale. For instance, a country like Chad has a very low GDP (something like $500/per person) versus the USA (something like $45k/ per person). Huge difference in standard of living."

What is the GDP per capita, and why is it important.? - Yahoo! Answers

Lets say the USA has 300 million people and China has 1500 million people. Lets say they have the same GDP That means China has 1/5 the Percapita GDP of the USA, but China still has to provide roads, education, security, medical and thousands other services per person and then what little is left over defense and research and its going to be very little if they treat their citizens as well as the USA. The USA could spend 2/5th of the amount USA spends per citizen and still have 3/5 as much as China spends per citizens left over for defense and research or other national prioritys.

Lets say by the year 2015 China has 1.6 billion people and usa has 400 million and that each has 16 trillion GDP does that mean they are equal from an economic stand point, no that means China personal GDP is 10,000 and the USA is 40,000 per capita GDP
some one can check my math. It still means the US goverment can take 1/4 in taxs and still have 4 trillion to spend and americans have 30,000 per capita of their own to spend. If China takes 4000 then the chinese peope are going to have only 6000 per capita. Sooner or later the chinese people might get tired of that.

Since when living standard equals to a nation's economic power? You just proved yourself from the post about Luxembourg you had stole from.

It is unbelievable, actually kind of believable, you can be wrong with simple math.
If America takes 1/4 in taxes, than should China also take 1/4. Than the money China is taking from the 10000 is 2500, not 4000. China has been doing well with its infrastructures with its much less GDP per capita than USA. The for services, the main cost is salary, since the living standard is also lower, those cost will be lowered too. So as whole it does not make any difference unless China is hiring all Americans to do those services.. Obviously you lack of critical thinking. Chinese people are tired of what? Have less living standard than US? Well, that has been for almost the past of 200 years. One day, they will be close to US's GDP per capita if its economy keeps growing, when it is, China economy will be 4 times as large as US.

Last edited:
Since when living standard equals to a nation's economic power? You just proved yourself from the post about Luxembourg you had stole from.

It is unbelievable, actually kind of believable, you can be wrong with simple math.
If America takes 1/4 in taxes, than should China also take 1/4. Than the money China is taking from the 10000 is 2500, not 4000. China has been doing well with its infrastructures with its much less GDP per capita than USA. The for services, the main cost is salary, since the living standard is also lower, those cost will be lowered too. So as whole it does not make any difference unless China is hiring all Americans to do those services.. Obviously you lack of critical thinking. Chinese people are tired of what? Have less living standard than US? Well, that has been for almost the past of 200 years. One day, they will be close to US's GDP per capita if its economy keeps growing, when it is, China economy will be 4 times as large as US.

Economys go thru differant stages of growth....if you an Percapita GDP of 3000 and it goes to 4000 it gos up 25 percent. But for a 50,000 per capita GDP to grow 25 percent it has to up 12,500 dollars. You might want to read up on the subject, China like most communist countries had a lot of pent up demand. As per capita GDP get larger they slow......

It won't take long for China to reach USD 10,000 per capita, however it will take longer for US to reach over USD 50,000 per capita.

The growth would slow down a bit once China reaches around USD 20,000 per capita.

Economys go thru differant stages of growth....if you an Percapita GDP of 3000 and it goes to 4000 it gos up 25 percent. But for a 50,000 per capita GDP to grow 25 percent it has to up 12,500 dollars. You might want to read up on the subject, China like most communist countries had a lot of pent up demand. As per capita GDP get larger they slow......

The term for it is called diminishing returns. Do you think I need you to lecture me on this?

I guess u need one folding chair to enjoy the mob...lol:lol::rofl:

Last edited:
mike, i was also in shanghai for expo.

my classmates said it nicely:不去后悔,去了更后悔!~

anyways~ shanghai is too clean and organized for my standards. feels like a human zoo to me. if you think that even shanghai is too disorganized i cannot imagine what life is like in singapore, must be like a prison.

mike, i was also in shanghai for expo.

my classmates said it nicely:不去后悔,去了更后悔!~

anyways~ shanghai is too clean and organized for my standards. feels like a human zoo to me. if you think that even shanghai is too disorganized i cannot imagine what life is like in singapore, must be like a prison.

Haha we call Singapore a nanny state more or less, to be honest I think China has more freedom in some areas then Singapore itself
(protest, strikes etc). The discipline and restrictions does make Singapore quite boring but having worked in India (organized chaos) and UK (freedom unbound) its something I much prefer to have. Especially in times when you want to get to work and the London tube workers go on strike for 3 days.

haha, shanghai is well, the face of china for many people. in my opinion it is much better organized than the other top tier cities like beijing or shenzhen. i mean, in shanghai no one crosses the street without the traffic light turning green, that's amazing! i heard singapore was even more crazy, you'd get whipped for chewing gum on the subway!

haha, shanghai is well, the face of china for many people. in my opinion it is much better organized than the other top tier cities like beijing or shenzhen. i mean, in shanghai no one crosses the street without the traffic light turning green, that's amazing! i heard singapore was even more crazy, you'd get whipped for chewing gum on the subway!

Bro, I am from Shanghai. Have you watched the TV Drama “蜗居”. Damn too much pressure of living in that city. I feel it would soon become a second Tokyo with a very high rate of suicidal people. :hitwall:

Back
Top Bottom