What's new

A Chinese opportunity that India Tourism misses

China is unique! There is not another Great Wall; Huanglong - Jiuzhaigou; West Sichuan for the vast grandeur of bamboo forests; Huang Shan; Lijiang and Shangrila - Yunnan, The Yellow River Hukou waterfall and plenty of other sighseeing places.

50994860fd78b1876b7e48cc97587cb6.jpg

Yellow River Hukou waterfall

xin_00060319091790914042.jpg

Tourists watch water flush out of the sluice of the Xiaolangdi Dam on the Yellow River in Central China's Henan Province June 18, 2006. The view attracts more than 10,000 visitors from across the country. [Xinhua]

shunan-bamboo-forest1.jpg

Sea of Bamboo - Sichuan- The Emerald Corridor

xishuangbanna-tropical-rainforest2.jpg

Xishuangbanna

Of course Canada can offer many great tourists attractions as well such as Banff,Rose Garden, Grouse Mountain, Calgary rodeos ... etc!

No need to compare! The tourism statistics tell the stories!

But some basic criteria must be considered for most tourists who travel for pleasure:
1. safety
2. disease
3 convenience
4 affordability
5 friendliness of the host

We are talking about tourism and not living there. I think china is a better tourist destination simply because there are a lot of things to see. Its not marketed properly in India (compared to singapore, malayasia or indonesia).

But this thread is about chinese tourists in India(or lackof) and I think Indian tourism boards should be more active in promoting India in china. We need more/cheaper flights between china and india.

World Tourism rankings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think India just doesn't have a lot of international tourist arrivals in general.

Read:

Ranking in Asia:

Rank Country International
tourist
arrivals
(2011)[2]
1 China 57.58 million
2 Malaysia 24.71 million
3 Hong Kong 22.32 million
4 Thailand 19.10 million
5 Macau 12.93 million
6 Singapore 10.39 million
7 South Korea 9.80 million
8 Indonesia 7.65 million
9 India 6.29 million
10 Japan 6.22 million

Ranking in the world

Rank Country UNWTO
Region[5] International
tourist
arrivals
(2011)[2] International
tourist
arrivals
(2010)[2] Change
(2010 to
2011)
1 France Europe 79.5 million 77.1 million +3.0%
2 United States North America 62.3 million 59.8 million +4.2%
3 China Asia 57.6 million 55.7 million +3.4%
4 Spain Europe 56.7 million 52.7 million +7.6%
5 Italy Europe 46.1 million 43.6 million +5.7%
6 Turkey Europe 29.3 million 27.0 million +8.7%
7 United Kingdom Europe 29.2 million 28.3 million +3.2%
8 Germany Europe 28.4 million 26.9 million +5.5%
9 Malaysia Asia 24.7 million 24.6 million +0.6%
10 Mexico North America 23.4 million 23.3 million +0.5%
Note: see the UNWTO World Tourism Barometer for the full rankings.[2]

but we are the second highest foreign exchange earner from foreign tourist in Asia after China.

CHINA 55.5 mil - $45 bil
INDIA 5.5mil - $14 bil

20110730_WOC263.gif

" Favilla revealed that per-person expenditure of foreign tourists is 1,000 US dollars.

But, in India where about six and a half million foreign tourists arrived in 2011, per-person expenditure was 2,700 dollars, he added and said this is because foreign tourists prefer to stay here for long period, hire guides and buy Indian products. In comparison to India, per-person expenditure in Europe is recorded at 1,200 dollars. The distinctive features, he said, were responsible for growth of tourism in India."

‘Per foreign tourist spending maximum in India’

India scores over Thailand, Malaysia in foreign tourists spend

but we are the second highest foreign exchange earner from foreign tourist in Asia after China.

CHINA 55.5 mil - $45 bil
INDIA 5.5mil - $14 bil

Where did you get the number?

In wiki it shows:

Rank Country UNWTO
Region International
tourism
expenditure
(2011)[2]
1 Germany Europe $84.3 billion
2 United States North America $79.1 billion
3 China Asia $72.6 billion
4 United Kingdom Europe $50.6 billion
5 France Europe $41.7 billion
6 Canada North America $33.0 billion
7 Russia Europe $32.5 billion
8 Italy Europe $28.7 billion
9 Japan Asia $27.2 billion
10 Australia Oceania $26.9 billion

Where did you get the number?

In wiki it shows:

Rank Country UNWTO
Region International
tourism
expenditure
(2011)[2]
1 Germany Europe $84.3 billion
2 United States North America $79.1 billion
3 China Asia $72.6 billion
4 United Kingdom Europe $50.6 billion
5 France Europe $41.7 billion
6 Canada North America $33.0 billion
7 Russia Europe $32.5 billion
8 Italy Europe $28.7 billion
9 Japan Asia $27.2 billion
10 Australia Oceania $26.9 billion

small correction... your list shows COUNTRY WISE EXPENDITURE ON INTERNATIONAL TOURISM.. which means how much Chinese and others SPEND when they travel abroad.

the source you asked
Where are all the visitors?

and buddy from the same source that you cited i.e. WIKI

TOP EARNERS FROM INTERNATIONAL TOURISTS ARRIVING IN THEIR COUNTRY

United States North America $116.3 billion
2 Spain Europe $59.9 billion
3 France Europe $53.8 billion
4 China Asia $48.5 billion
5 Italy Europe $43.0 billion
6 Germany Europe $38.8 billion
7 United Kingdom Europe $35.9 billion
8 Australia Oceania $31.4 billion
9 India Asia $27.8 billion
10 Hong Kong (China) Asia $27.2 billion

The World Tourism Organization reports the following countries as the top ten tourism earners for the year 2011, with the United States by far the top earner

the hard fact is people have preconceived notions and misinformation about India being all dirty,poor and over-populated but the fact is India is so diverse,rich in sights and sounds , and that there is so much to do here, that the travelers who arrive here with a heavy heart leave with a promise to return with bag full of Indian souvenirs and stuff.

Keith Bellows, National Geographic Society : "There are some parts of the world that, once visited, get into your heart and won't go. For me, India is such a place. When I first visited, I was stunned by the richness of the land, by its lush beauty and exotic architecture, by its ability to overload the senses with the pure, concentrated intensity of its colors, smells, tastes, and sounds... I had been seeing the world in black & white and, when brought face-to-face with India, experienced everything re-rendered in brilliant technicolor."

Are we looking at different Wiki? On the site it clearly says 9. is macau with 27.8 billion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings

small correction... your list shows COUNTRY WISE EXPENDITURE ON INTERNATIONAL TOURISM.. which means how much Chinese and others SPEND when they travel abroad.

the source you asked

The World Tourism Organization reports the following countries as the top ten tourism earners for the year 2011, with the United States by far the top earner

Götterdämmerung;3649190 said:
I wonder why your PM once said that in five years Mumbai will surpass Shanghai. Does it mean that Mumbai, India's showpiece metropolis, is even worse than the coal mine Shanghai? And as we all witness (compare airport passenger stats MB vs. SH), the whole world is flocking to Shanghai and Mumbai still hasn't surpassed Shanghai yet and won't do that in the next decade.

Don't worry, mate, I have a very sweet time here in Shanghai – great city, great food, great shopping, great night live, and full of energy.

And you still couldn't tell me why France is ahead of everybody, although they barely speak English, they actually dislike speaking English.

I hope you didn't miss the party education classes though.

Because that would be such a shame if you dont stick to the protocol when you go to Germany for real.

Have to agree India is a great place and we loved it, will be goung back again next year. We were suprised that India is not in the top 5 tourism destinations a lack of effort and half hearted efforts by the Indian government have to be blamed, its a pity more people do not visit India.

I hope you didn't miss the party education classes though.

Because that would be such a shame if you dont stick to the protocol when you go to Germany for real.

I wonder why your PM once said that in five years Mumbai will surpass Shanghai. Does it mean that Mumbai, India's showpiece metropolis, is even worse than the coal mine Shanghai? And as we all witness (compare airport passenger stats MB vs. SH), the whole world is flocking to Shanghai and Mumbai still hasn't surpassed Shanghai yet and won't do that in the next decade.

Don't worry, mate, I have a very sweet time here in Shanghai – great city, great food, great shopping, great night live, and full of energy.

And you still couldn't tell me why France is ahead of everybody, although they barely speak English, they actually dislike speaking English.

the source you asked

the hard fact is people have preconceived notions and misinformation about India being all dirty,poor and over-populated but the fact is India is so diverse,rich in sights and sounds , and that there is so much to do here, that the travelers who arrive here with a heavy heart leave with a promise to return with bag full of Indian souvenirs and stuff.

The list is wrong for india which is not @ 9th! Some fanatic cheerleaders may have played havoc on wikepedia again.

Read this on page no 8, india's tourism receipt 2011 was $17.518 billion which was
lower than Thailand ($26.2 bln), Malaysia ($18.3 bln), Singapore ($18.0 bln) :

http://dtxtq4w60xqpw.cloudfront.net/sites/all/files/docpdf/unwtohighlights12enhr_1.pdf

Götterdämmerung;3650982 said:
I wonder why your PM once said that in five years Mumbai will surpass Shanghai.

This is news to us. Can you provide a source for the exact wording.

I hear that india is the top spot for high quality grass on cheap prices. Many tourists go there for wing dings!
and it is the regional hub for narcortic trafficking as well!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom